Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben not a Red Zone QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben not a Red Zone QB

Taking a look at Ben's career QB rating stats for 1st-4th down and goal he looks to be wildly inconsistent:

• Passing
      Situation G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
      1st & Goal 32 63.4 13 27 48.1 78 N/A 2.9 11 2
      2nd & Goal 43 106.1 33 53 62.3 141 N/A 2.7 23 0
      3rd & Goal 39 77.1 21 40 52.5 106 N/A 2.7 14 2
      4th & Goal 5 109.7 2 3 66.7 2 N/A 0.7 2 0

With a compressed field, the QB must read pre-snap and make quick decisions with the ball. This obviously is not Ben's style. We desperately need to develop the run game in this area of the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ben not a Red Zone QB

You spend way too much time looking at numbers man. You're trying to quantify things that just aren't that simply quantified.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    You spend way too much time looking at numbers man. You're trying to quantify things that just aren't that simply quantified.
    If you are honest, you gotta admit that at least 42.3 percent of what he said makes sense.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It is always very difficult to score in the red zone. Particularly when you don't have a strong running game.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't think it's too much to ask to expect your $100 million QB to identify problems within his game and attempt to make improvements in that area.

Everybody in every profession does it.

If Ben (and our OC, BA or otherwise) can improve this area, this offense can be truly scary with the talent already in place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505
    I don't think it's too much to ask to expect your $100 million QB to identify problems within his game and attempt to make improvements in that area.

If Ben (and our OC, BA or otherwise) can improve this area, this offense can be truly scary with the talent already in place.
    So what you're telling me is that those numbers are indicative of Ben and only Ben?

Dropped passes don't factor in? Passes thrown away? Tipped passes? WR is open but an O lineman misses a block, disrupting the play? Etc, etc, etc?

Ben isn't Bugs Bunny...he's not throwing it to himself.

That's why you can't just throw crap like that out there and say, "Ben is not a RZ QB". It's a team game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So what you're telling me is that those numbers are indicative of Ben and only Ben?

Dropped passes don't factor in? Passes thrown away? Tipped passes? WR is open but an O lineman misses a block, disrupting the play? Etc, etc, etc?

That's why you can't just throw crap like that out there and say, "Ben is not a RZ QB". It's a team game.
    The entire offense needs to improve in the red zone. With the way they are capable of moving the ball, they should be scoring more points. Ben takes to many sacks, there is no real fullback or effective short yardage package, the playcalling is poor, dropped passes, etc. Red zone offense should be priority #1 in the offseason. All of these need to improve and perhaps we need to add a player or two that will make us a better running team.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

The entire offense needs to improve in the red zone. With the way they are capable of moving the ball, they should be scoring more points. Ben takes to many sacks, there is no real fullback or effective short yardage package, the playcalling is poor, dropped passes, etc. Red zone offense should be priority #1 in the offseason. All of these need to improve and perhaps we need to add a player or two that will make us a better running team.
    Ben does take too many sacks in the red zone...
    but most of our problems in the red zone come down to execution and penalties..

but we all know the red zone is not why we lost games this year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Really? I can think of 3 games that we could have won with better red zone efficiency.

It may not be the main reason. But, it is certainly one of them.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Not so fast my friend. Most of our problems in the red zone we due to poor playcalling and no run game, and Arians trademark. (Anyone remember the empty sets) Yes, we lost games do to pathetic ST play and the defense unable to hold a 3 or 10 point lead. However, there were way too many points left on the field this year. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. It doesn't help much when that offense sputters when it gets inside the 20s.
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent