Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Season in Two Pictures

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: The 2009 Season in Two Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98
    I actually just called your post retarded but whatever. I didn't realize that made me a "tough guy" lol.
    Toughest poster in this thread, hands down. Very good Snatch98! You get a cookie! (have to love Kelly's Heroes).

Hopefully you did not have to drool and/or punch yourself in the head to respond.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wolf, do you think the Jets will win the Super Bowl?
    Let me answer for you. No.

Does Ben have a couple rings? Yes.

Therefore, when we TWEAK a few things, we'll be able to get right back in the mix over the next few years.

Sanchez doesn't have the material to take a team to the Super Bowl. Nice player, but you'll see what happens to him in the near future.
    The Bengals were retarded, not sure what they were doing. Watching an entire end of the defense crash in to chase a RB when trailing by six yards and not even peaking at the QB. The Bengals were VERY undisciplined of defense and that is being nice. Sanchez had 15 easy throws and those will go away soon.
    His defense and running game won't carry him any further.
    And let's not forget they backed into the playoffs.

The two pictures should have been of Manning and Palmer. The time off crushed any momentum the Bengals had. I wonder if Manning will suffer the same consequence.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know Wolf's humor... but I felt like it was directed at Ben and his big contract, fame and stats...

Ben was amazing this year so I thought it was off.... but maybe it was just to get a discussion going.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones

Therefore, when we TWEAK a few things, we'll be able to get right back in the mix over the next few years.

Sanchez doesn't have the material to take a team to the Super Bowl. Nice player, but you'll see what happens to him in the near future.
    The Bengals were retarded, not sure what they were doing. Watching an entire end of the defense crash in to chase a RB when trailing by six yards and not even peaking at the QB. The Bengals were VERY undisciplined of defense and that is being nice. Sanchez had 15 easy throws and those will go away soon.

The two pictures should have been of Manning and Palmer. The time off crushed any momentum the Bengals had. I wonder if Manning will suffer the same consequence.
    I don't buy that.... I think Sanchez crumbles if the game is on his shoulders but he made the 15 easy throws look easy too..

Ben had a terrible first playoff game and he had some easy throws but couldn't make them... I don't think you can count out a team like the Jets BECAUSE they have a D and run the ball a ton.

Flacco has 3 playoff wins doing the same thing...

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Okay, let me try this one more time. It is not about the individual (e.g Sanchez versus Roethlisberger). It is about the team (e.g Jets versus Steelers). Do I think the Jets can win it all? Absolutely! Why? Because they are still in the playoffs (reference Pittsburgh Steelers, 2005). That is the only point to this post. Period. That who "woulda thunk" that the team that won Super Bowl XLIII would be sitting at home in January, especially after the "lessons learned" from the Super Bowl XL hangover. The pictures are simply a way to reinforce the point. Who is in, who is out. Nothing more, nothing less.

In regards to an opinion, I have come to the (very unscientific) conclusion that the Steelers need more than "tweaking" to get back to the playoffs. There is (in my opinion) a lack of leadership and accountability on this team. The lack of passion (again, in my opinion) is very telling. I am absolutely shocked because I have seen Steelers teams from the 70s until now and I have never (never) seen a squad as lethargic as the one I saw this year. Nothing I can prove, only what I can feel.

My bottom line stands. As a point of reference, the Jets (e.g. Sanchez) are in the playoffs. The Steelers are not (e.g. Roethlisberger). The question is, why? I am not buying all of the arguments (for and against) coaching staff and injuries ebing the cause. I think (in my opinion) that it is something simpler, more sublime.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe I'm obtuse about the two pictures, but my take on it was that a bad rookie was in the playoffs and a good veteran quarterback was not and that pretty much summed up the season for the Steelers. The two pictures pretty much said, "this season just doesn't make sense in any fashion."

There was absolutely no comparison of the quarterbacks, only the irony (if you will) of a rookie who had a pretty bad season making the platyoffs and a two time Super Bowl champion quarterback not making the playoffs.

How did I do with my interpretation?

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Maybe I'm obtuse about the two pictures, but my take on it was that a bad rookie was in the playoffs and a good veteran quarterback was not and that pretty much summed up the season for the Steelers. The two pictures pretty much said, "this season just doesn't make sense in any fashion."

There was absolutely no comparison of the quarterbacks, only the irony (if you will) of a rookie who had a pretty bad season making the platyoffs and a two time Super Bowl champion quarterback not making the playoffs.

Pappy
    Not bad. Your interpretation didn't make me want to punch myself in the face or drool. :P

And since you used the word "obtuse" in your post, I am contractually obligated to include a picture of Warden Norton (for all you Shawshank fans out there)

as well as some obtuse angles (for all you geometry fans out there)

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound45

Okay, let me try this one more time. It is not about the individual (e.g Sanchez versus Roethlisberger). It is about the team (e.g Jets versus Steelers). Do I think the Jets can win it all? Absolutely! Why? Because they are still in the playoffs (reference Pittsburgh Steelers, 2005). That is the only point to this post. Period. That who "woulda thunk" that the team that won Super Bowl XLIII would be sitting at home in January, especially after the "lessons learned" from the Super Bowl XL hangover. The pictures are simply a way to reinforce the point. Who is in, who is out. Nothing more, nothing less.

In regards to an opinion, I have come to the (very unscientific) conclusion that the Steelers need more than "tweaking" to get back to the playoffs. There is (in my opinion) a lack of leadership and accountability on this team. The lack of passion (again, in my opinion) is very telling. I am absolutely shocked because I have seen Steelers teams from the 70s until now and I have never (never) seen a squad as lethargic as the one I saw this year. Nothing I can prove, only what I can feel.

My bottom line stands. As a point of reference, the Jets (e.g. Sanchez) are in the playoffs. The Steelers are not (e.g. Roethlisberger). The question is, why? I am not buying all of the arguments (for and against) coaching staff and injuries ebing the cause. I think (in my opinion) that it is something simpler, more sublime.
    I agree.... I saw Warner lay into a WR when he came to the sideline.. I thought it was Fitz but it was #80... That same WR made a TD the next possession.

I know people like Ben's style and taking all the blame but I never liked it. Sometimes you need to lay into a player or 2. Harrison is too silent to motivate.. Troy leads by example but I couldn't get amped up for the end of the world if Troy told me it was happening.

We had guys like Bettis and Kemo?(DE)... who Ben and Troy respected as elders on the team. Hines is too sensitive and backstabbing to respect. I know these young kids were scared of Joey Porter.. scared of what he would do once the coaches left the locker room. I don't think we need bullies.. but we do need a guy or 2 to step up and get these guys focused.

It should be Ben, but maybe this is why they hate him. LOL!!! "so they say"

Starter

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Spot on my friend, spot on. Must be the "greybeard" in you that can see something so seemingly obvious.

Again, who "woulda thunk" that Mark Sanchez (MARK SANCHEZ) would still be playing while Ben is working on his golf game. I do not know how others are handling this, but it has definitely made me re-look the 2009 season and see if maybe (just maybe) there are issues deeper than what the "numbers" are showing.

These are grown men we are talking about. They are paid very well to do a job. Money is not the only motivation. You have to want it more. Leadership and accountability drive you in that direction. Do we have a "Joey Porter" or "Jerome Bettis" that is providing that locker room leadership? Or are we just happy to be where we are? I just do not believe that the whole issue is about Xs and Os.

A great quote that sums it up...

"It's much harder to stay on the mountain top than to get to the mountain top."

Do we still have that competitive fire on this team? Who is providing it? Not sure. In the past, the passion was there, year in and year out. Did not see it in the team this year.

Just a thought. For all not interested in this (disjointed - unproven) thought process (or incoherent rambling), I would highly recommend the ever enlightening/entertaining "Fire Arians" or "Fire Lebeau" threads.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Pappy
    Not bad. Your interpretation didn't make me want to punch myself in the face or drool. :P

And since you used the word "obtuse" in your post, I am contractually obligated to include a picture of Warden Norton (for all you Shawshank fans out there)

as well as some obtuse angles (for all you geometry fans out there)

I'm still doing this after this season of high expectation and pedestrian results. I wish I could stop doing because, I'm sure it won't be as painful once I can actually stop.

That 94 degree angle is getting close to being acute, but like the Steelers it didn't succeed in short yardage. :P

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount