Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Denver ahead of the Steelers in the seedings?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How is Denver ahead of the Steelers in the seedings?

We have the same record and beat them head to head. Is it because we are 3rd in our division and they are 2nd?

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: How is Denver ahead of the Steelers in the seedings?

Denver is not ahead of us straight up. However, there is currently a five way tie (8-7 record) for the 5th & 6th seed in the AFC. We have the WORST conference record. That is why Denver is ahead of us right now.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is all so confusing. I'm tired of going thru the scenerios!! I'll let Sportscenter sort it out for me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

our season of losing in the AFC has cost us dearly. we own zero tiebreakers and must rely on overall record or a 2-way tie with denver to advance. if we end up in a 3-way tie or against anyone BUT denver - we're out. that's what losing to KC, oakland and cleveland gets ya.

if the steelers make it - i'll be thrilled and excited about another run. If the don't, I won't be that upset. we've seen this coming for weeks.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just want us to beat Miami and secure a winning season. If the playoffs are there for us, great. If not, let's just finish the season on a winning streak.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    our season of losing in the AFC has cost us dearly. we own zero tiebreakers and must rely on overall record or a 2-way tie with denver to advance. if we end up in a 3-way tie or against anyone BUT denver - we're out. that's what losing to KC, oakland and cleveland gets ya.

if the steelers make it - i'll be thrilled and excited about another run. If the don't, I won't be that upset. we've seen this coming for weeks.
    We can get in via a 3 way tie between Baltimore, Denver, and us. Because they sort out within division first when deciding seeds, we get eliminated from contention for the #5 seed, and Baltimore gets that over Denver. Then for the #6 seed, we go head-to-head with Denver and we get in.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so basically houston and the jets have to lose. does it matter a whole lot if the ravens and broncos win next weekend? i thought head to head wins trumps afc record? if we finish the same as denver we should be ahead of them. imo head to head wins should count before afc record does. all this is so confusing and depressing. i hate having to watch so many other scores just to see if the steelers make the playoffs. does anyone think the pats or bengals will be playing for much next week? they are probably playing for the 3rd and 4th seed, but i could see both those teams resting players which sucks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    so basically houston and the jets have to lose. does it matter a whole lot if the ravens and broncos win next weekend? i thought head to head wins trumps afc record? if we finish the same as denver we should be ahead of them. imo head to head wins should count before afc record does. all this is so confusing and depressing. i hate having to watch so many other scores just to see if the steelers make the playoffs. does anyone think the pats or bengals will be playing for much next week? they are probably playing for the 3rd and 4th seed, but i could see both those teams resting players which sucks
    If Houston and the Jets lose, it doesn't matter what happens with the Ravens and Broncos. But if Houston or the Jets win, then we need the Ravens and Broncos to lose (and since they are playing Oakland and K.C., respectively, that is not bloody likely).

Head-to-head does count before conference record when determining who wins a tiebreaker between two teams. However, you can't use head-to-head to determine tiebreakers between three or more teams that have not all played each other (for example, we haven't played the Texans or Jets this season, so if either of those two teams are tied with us and the Broncos, our head-to-head win against Denver is essentially meaningless...which is why we need to root for New England and Cincinnati, regardless of how painful that might be).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If Houston and the Jets lose, it doesn't matter what happens with the Ravens and Broncos. But if Houston or the Jets win, then we need the Ravens and Broncos to lose (and since they are playing Oakland and K.C., respectively, that is not bloody likely).

Head-to-head does count before conference record when determining who wins a tiebreaker between two teams. However, you can't use head-to-head to determine tiebreakers between three or more teams that have not all played each other (for example, we haven't played the Texans or Jets this season, so if either of those two teams are tied with us and the Broncos, our head-to-head win against Denver is essentially meaningless...which is why we need to root for New England and Cincinnati, regardless of how painful that might be).
    ok thanks ruthless that makes a lot of sense. i wasnt sure if we had to root for more than the jets and texans losing. funny to root for the pats two weeks in a row. if either the texans or jets win we are screwed. i like our chances though. both the jets and texans have tough games. i was worried if our playoff hopes hinged on the ravens or broncos losing because we would be screwed if that were the case

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

ok thanks ruthless that makes a lot of sense. i wasnt sure if we had to root for more than the jets and texans losing. funny to root for the pats two weeks in a row. if either the texans or jets win we are screwed. i like our chances though. both the jets and texans have tough games. i was worried if our playoff hopes hinged on the ravens or broncos losing because we would be screwed if that were the case
    It looks like we can also get in if Jets win but the Texans and Ravens both lose. In that scenario, the Jets would get the 5th seed, and we would get the 6th seed over the Broncos, even if they win (which I expect them to do, playing at home vs. the Chiefs).

So if we win at 1:00 and New England beats Houston at 1:00, then the Ravens lose out in Oakland at 4:15, then we will not have to worry about the outcome of the primetime Sunday night game. That would be a relief.

(A Raider win over the Ravens is not out of the realm of possibility, by the way...cross country trips are never easy and the Raiders beat the Eagles, Steelers, Bengals, and Broncos this season so far, so they are not necessarily the pushover that people make them out to be).