Thread: Marks set by Steelers in win

Legend

User Info Menu

Marks set by Steelers in win

Marks set by Steelers in win

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, December 28, 2009
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_659683.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 59683.html[/url]

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went over the 4,000-yard passing mark for the season, and running back Rashard Mendenhall eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark in the Steelers' 23-20 win against the Ravens on Sunday at Heinz Field. The two milestones allowed the Steelers to accomplish a franchise first, as they will have a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and a pair of 1,000-yard receivers this season. Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward had gone over 1,000 yards previously, and the Steelers' wideouts have 1,243 and 1,106 receiving yards, respectively. "It's just stats. It's good for fantasy football players and something to have on your resume, but this league is all about wins and losses," Ward said. "Just because you have all that doesn't bring championships."

The Steelers established another record on offense yesterday, as Heath Miller went over the 70 reception mark for the season. This year marks the first time the Steelers have had three receivers catch at least 70 passes. Rookie Mike Wallace's contributions to the passing game also shouldn't be overlooked, Holmes said. After catching three passes for 83 yards, Wallace has 692 receiving yards.

Steelers starting defensive end Brett Keisel left yesterday's game early in the third quarter after re-injuring his neck and didn't return. Keisel said after the game that he expects to play next Sunday against the Dolphins and added that he may have to wear a neck brace for extra protection.

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) and cornerback Keenan Lewis (back) didn't play yesterday because of injuries. Also inactive for the Steelers were wide receiver Joey Galloway, fullback Carey Davis, guard Kraig Urbik, defensive end Sunny Harris and quarterback Charlie Batch.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Marks set by Steelers in win

This offense won't be considered potent to me until they can put points on the board. Yesterday's game should have been over in the first quarter. A stalled opening drive, failure to advantage of the INT deep in Ravens territory and failure to take advantage of Logan's long return. The score should have been 17-3 at a minimum, instead it 6-3 or something ridiculous.

I despise statistically great offenses and teams that are mediocre and then having to listen to people tell how great the offense is because they have a 4,000 yard QB, two 1,000 yard WRs, a 1,000 yard back and 3 WRs with over 70 catches. They are 8-7 and on theoutside looking in, big F'ing deal.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Ward got it right. Stats are for fantasy geeks, the league counts wins and losses. I agree Pap, this offense is great between the 20s but very mediocre when it counts. I honestly believe it comes down to not committing to the run game. How many times have we seen this kind of offense from Indy? They finally win it all when they commit to the run.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    This offense won't be considered potent to me until they can put points on the board. Yesterday's game should have been over in the first quarter. A stalled opening drive, failure to advantage of the INT deep in Ravens territory and failure to take advantage of Logan's long return. The score should have been 17-3 at a minimum, instead it 6-3 or something ridiculous.

I despise statistically great offenses and teams that are mediocre and then having to listen to people tell how great the offense is because they have a 4,000 yard QB, two 1,000 yard WRs, a 1,000 yard back and 3 WRs with over 70 catches. They are 8-7 and on theoutside looking in, big F'ing deal.

Pappy

A W is all that matters...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    They are 8-7 and on theoutside looking in, big F'ing deal.

Pappy

You called it Pap.