Thread: Jets-Bengals flexed to Sunday night

Jets-Bengals flexed to Sunday night

Jets-Bengals flexed to Sunday night
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal

The flex gods have decreed: the Jets and Bengals will face off next Sunday night on NBC.

The way we look at it, there were only two games to choose from: The win and in AFC games: Jets-Bengals and Rats-Raiders.

Cowboys-Eagles may decide the NFC East, but there wouldn't be much drama involved since the Cowboys can clinch a playoff spot tonight. The Eagles-Cowboys may have a bigger audience, but watching a team trying to survive has more drama.

Even if the Cowboys lost tonight, they could clinch a spot with a Giants loss next Sunday.

It would be unfortunate if the Bengals choose not to play their starters throughout next Sunday's game. If that happened, it would be the second time in three seasons the final playoff berth was decided on Sunday night because of a team resting starters. (The Titans beat Jim Sorgi and the Colts to make the playoffs in 2007.)

The Bengals will know whether they have a chance to move up the third seed before they play next week. If the Pats** lose at Houston, Cincinnati could move up a spot.

Essentially, they may have a chance to decide their wild card opponent by taking Carson Palmer out early or going for a win.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Re: Jets-Bengals flexed to Sunday night

I hope it'll still be important to watch that game on Sunday night!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    I hope it'll still be important to watch that game on Sunday night!!
    The only way it would be important for the Bungals is if NE loses to Houston. IF that happens we are OUT of the playoffs. So, we have to root for NE to win and the Bungals to win despite them having nothing to gain whatsoever. Not very good odds.

I think our best chance is for NE to beat Houston and Oakland to beat the Rats. Then it won't matter what the Bungals do, we would be in the playoffs if we win. Again, not very good odds.

The Steelers have done it to themselves this year and I think after next Sunday, we will be looking at our 1st round pick at 18 or 19. Probably too far down to get Rolando McClain, but maybe a good spot to get a playmaker safety or our future ILB/MLB.

yeah that sucks.

It really helped the Steelers out that all the important games were at 1 PM because then neither the Bengals or Pats would know if they could safely rest their starters or not.

Now I bet the Bengals rest them just to screw the Steelers if they get the chance.

Pro Bowler

Well, that just about sealed our doom. Removed the Bengals' doubt about the 3-seed. In the event that they can get the 3-seed, then HOU won. So, basically we are in a position to have to root for OAK over BAL and KC over DEN and NE over HOU.

This is actually bad football policy and etches away at meaningful play. In World Cup soccer they always play the final games of the group stages simultaneously to avoid this very thing where teams are artificially let through or kept out. I don't have a problem with a team that earned top seed resting starters or losing to promote a more favorable matchup for themselves, but the league should know better than this.

Pro Bowler

Is there a way we can petition the league to change this????? The petition would come on grounds that moving THIS game to Sunday night

1. Significantly compromises meaningful play
    2. Significantly compromises meaningful result in terms of not only playoff teams but also playoff seeding