Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: What hurt us MOST this season

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,194

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Again another thread in which St Le Beau is not mentioned as a culprit in this mediocre season. IMO he has primary responsibility for the defensive collapse. He is the single individual with the responsibility for making the defense ready to do its job. It is his only responsibility.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Again another thread in which St Le Beau is not mentioned as a culprit in this mediocre season. IMO he has primary responsibility for the defensive collapse. He is the single individual with the responsibility for making the defense ready to do its job. It is his only responsibility.
    i agree lebeau hardly ever gets the blame where most other DC's would get bashed, but the personel is the same as last season. the scheme is the same from last season. the result is completely different. the reason they have been bad on defensive is age up front and lack of talent in the secondary. you throw in injuries to smith and troy two of the best we have on defense and that is a recipe for a down season. the pass rush was lights out last season. that and a healthy troy makes the secondary very good. no pass rush and no troy makes the secondary awful

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Situational football

    3rd and short
    Red Zone offense
    3rd down defense
    Special Teams (this is all situational to me)

    Pappy
    Most of that boils down to mistakes, pappy. :P

  4. #14
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    966

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Again another thread in which St Le Beau is not mentioned as a culprit in this mediocre season. IMO he has primary responsibility for the defensive collapse. He is the single individual with the responsibility for making the defense ready to do its job. It is his only responsibility.
    i agree lebeau hardly ever gets the blame where most other DC's would get bashed, but the personel is the same as last season. the scheme is the same from last season. the result is completely different. the reason they have been bad on defensive is age up front and lack of talent in the secondary. you throw in injuries to smith and troy two of the best we have on defense and that is a recipe for a down season. the pass rush was lights out last season. that and a healthy troy makes the secondary very good. no pass rush and no troy makes the secondary awful
    I think if you phrase the injury thing differently it takes on a different light.

    Of the three units on defense (Secondary, LBs, DLine), two of them were missing their best player.

    That's pretty significant. I'm not saying this is the only reason, but it has to be considered as a factor.

    Toss in the fact that they never put a team away and let all manner of chumps hang around until the end....

    Oh, and was it me, or was the defense on the field a LOT this year. The passing offense does not protect the defense very well.

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Again another thread in which St Le Beau is not mentioned as a culprit in this mediocre season. IMO he has primary responsibility for the defensive collapse. He is the single individual with the responsibility for making the defense ready to do its job. It is his only responsibility.
    i agree lebeau hardly ever gets the blame where most other DC's would get bashed, but the personel is the same as last season. the scheme is the same from last season. the result is completely different. the reason they have been bad on defensive is age up front and lack of talent in the secondary. you throw in injuries to smith and troy two of the best we have on defense and that is a recipe for a down season. the pass rush was lights out last season. that and a healthy troy makes the secondary very good. no pass rush and no troy makes the secondary awful
    I think if you phrase the injury thing differently it takes on a different light.

    Of the three units on defense (Secondary, LBs, DLine), two of them were missing their best player.

    That's pretty significant. I'm not saying this is the only reason, but it has to be considered as a factor.

    Toss in the fact that they never put a team away and let all manner of chumps hang around until the end....

    Oh, and was it me, or was the defense on the field a LOT this year. The passing offense does not protect the defense very well.
    Well, like it or not, this is a passing league these days, and defenses have to be able to work with it. Secondly, our average time of possession is actually slightly better than it was last year. If the defense is doing worse because of possession time, than it's because it's either too old or out of shape.

  6. #16

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    I will go with the old cliche, they played to the level of competition.

    We looked GREAT against the Vikings, Packers (offense only) and the Bengals (despite the loss).....we may not have played great...but we fought til the end. We played Baltimore tough in both games, including the Dixon game....had a chance until the INT.

    As good as we looked in those games and being compeititive....we looked equally as HORRID against the weaker teams......Cleveland, Oakland, Chiefs and Detroit. Yeah we beat Detroit, but CULPEPPER had them in position to tie the game with a TD and a 2-point conversion. For those that were not there, the LIONS mascot stomped on a terrible towel on the jumbo-tron.....next 3 plays were sacks!

    Anyways, win or lose, they played close football against the good teams....and pee-wee football against teams that would have a hard time beating some teams replacements!

    TROY was probably a factor.....but I cannot blame him. The 11 on the field are the Pittsburgh Steelers!

  7. #17
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,827

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Situational football

    3rd and short
    Red Zone offense
    3rd down defense
    Special Teams (this is all situational to me)

    Pappy
    Most of that boils down to mistakes, pappy. :P
    The mistakes were limited during normal down and distances for the most part. Once the offense needed to make a play, or the defense needed to make a play or the STs needed to make a play they made mistakes. Those are specific situations in which the Steelers failed over and over again this year, whether it be mistakes, lack of focus or poor decisions

    Too many drives stopped on 3rd and 3 or less.
    Too many FGs once inside the 20.
    Too many drive extended big plays given up on 3rd down. (They were able to get teams into 3rd and 8 or greater, but, couldn't make the final play to close out the drive)
    Too many special teams gaffs to even reiterate in the space allotted by the board software.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,902

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    like someone just said... when we needed a defensive play we never got it until yesterday...
    when we need a ST's coverage late in games they never make the stop.
    Even when we get help with flags and the other team starts inside their 10 yard line we let them march.

    This D is pathetic... and Mendenhall... love him to death and drops happen but we needed that early TD..

    it's the little things that we just can't get done this year.

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    The little things that went right for us last year...missed kicks (1 loss), ST giving up TDs (1-2 losses), missed interceptions (1 loss), dropped passes (1-2 losses). Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way, though a stouter defense would go a long way curing a lot of ills - as would Troy & Aaron being healthy.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

  10. #20
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: What hurt us MOST this season

    Defenses inability to make stops late in games.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •