Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Meyer Stepping Down At Florida

Hall of Famer

OT: Meyer Stepping Down At Florida

Absolutely HUGE news in the collegiate ranks....
    ----------------------------------
    Saturday, December 26, 2009
    Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl
    ESPN.com news services

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Starter

Re: OT: Meyer Stepping Down At Florida

My hope is that his health improves. Best wishes as he moves on.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound45
    ... Agreed.

But as an LSU fan, I can only imagine how you're "licking your chops" from this (as a fan from an opposing school)....

BTW, you gotta post-up that favorite pic of the "LSU gal"....

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound45
    ... Agreed.

But as an LSU fan, I can only imagine how you're "licking your chops" from this (as a fan from an opposing school)....

BTW, you gotta post-up that favorite pic of the "LSU gal"....
    The LSU board (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/) is actually being very civil about his departure. There are a few "retards/rantards" but not many.

Unfortunately, the pic of that pretty young lady is long gone. She was definitely "easy on the eye" as we say down on the Bayou.

At least he's showing the class to coach the final game with his team- unlike former Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly.

I was pulling for Cincinnati in this one, but I might have to re-evaluate now.

Pro Bowler

Does anyone else think there's more to this story?
    - Is Urban's ego not willing to go thru a rebuilding process?
    - Was he disappointed not to get offered the Notre Dame job?
    - Has he been contacted by a NFL team?
    - If this legit & he takes a year off, what school would he go to...Michigan? Penn State?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Does anyone else think there's more to this story?
    - Is Urban's ego not willing to go thru a rebuilding process?
    - Was he disappointed not to get offered the Notre Dame job?
    - Has he been contacted by a NFL team?
    - If this legit & he takes a year off, what school would he go to...Michigan? Penn State?
    -I thought the same thing as you did regarding the rebuilding process
    -I also thought he may become the OC or HC at whatever team drafts Tebow

I did see a report on his heart so it very well could be his health. The problem though is so many college coaches lie it's hard to believe any "first reports"

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

If we all knew the type of stresses that come with being an NFL or D-I College coach, there would be no argument here. Urban Meyer can hardly be blamed, if health was, in fact, the deciding issue.

This is a shocker, to say the least. Plus, Meyer is, just about, my age. If it's enough of a wake up call for him, perhaps it should send the same message to others his age.

Meyer is leaving a job that, arguably, he should have for a while if he wanted it. Florida fans can't be any more vulture-ish than any other fans in D-I or, even, in the SEC. He won the school TWO NCs for chrissakes. That should be good enough for a while.

Best of luck to Urban Meyer in his future endeavors. He's a class act!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    At least he's showing the class to coach the final game with his team- unlike former Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly.

I was pulling for Cincinnati in this one, but I might have to re-evaluate now.
    i agree there is nothing more i hate when a coach bails on the bowl game. i think that speaks volumes about a coach's character. pretty sad meyer is taking a break. he is pretty young and a good guy. i hate cincy and every ohio sports team so i still hope florida pounds them which they should. i wonder what impact if any this has on the spread

Starter

Apparently he has changed his mind, kind of.

Source: Meyer has change of heart
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134