Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    4-3 defense is coming in 2010

LDE-Lamar Woodley
    LDT-Aaron Smith
    RDT-Ziggy Hood
    RDE-Brett Kiesel

OLB-Lawrence Timmons
    MLB-James Farrior (rookie will be drafted in first two rounds to understudy)
    OLB-James Harrison

CB-Ike Taylor
    CB-Joe Burnett or Rookie/Free Agent
    SS-Troy Polamalu
    FS-Keenan Lewis Or Taylor Mays (I hope)
    You're right, going to a 4-3 is going to solve all our defense's problems. It's going to make our linemen controll the LoS, our cornerbacks cover better and catch interceptions, and our linebackers get more pressure.

Torch, the 4-3 is not the ultimate solution for our defensive woes, as you so sarcastically pointed out, but it is Tomlin's preferred defense AND it may allow some of our younger players to play their natural positions. Timmons would play OLB, Woodley at DE, and Hood at DT. These three are the future of our Defense and it makes sense to utilize them at a position where they can excel.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Expect changes for Steelers in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

LDE-Lamar Woodley
    LDT-Aaron Smith
    RDT-Ziggy Hood
    RDE-Brett Kiesel

OLB-Lawrence Timmons
    OLB-James Harrison

CB-Ike Taylor
    SS-Troy Polamalu
    You're right, going to a 4-3 is going to solve all our defense's problems. It's going to make our linemen controll the LoS, our cornerbacks cover better and catch interceptions, and our linebackers get more pressure.

Torch, the 4-3 is not the ultimate solution for our defensive woes, as you so sarcastically pointed out, but it is Tomlin's preferred defense AND it may allow some of our younger players to play their natural positions. Timmons would play OLB, Woodley at DE, and Hood at DT. These three are the future of our Defense and it makes sense to utilize them at a position where they can excel.
    There you go using rational arguments and logic when emotionalism is called for.

You hit the nail on the head why I think CONSIDERING the 4-3 should be on the table. It not only suits many of the young players we have but also IMO gets the next generation of young players into the mix sooner. It is still about the looks and schemes you run out of the 4-3 but you would in many cases eliminate the one to two year "redshirt" our version of the 3-4 seems to require.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LDE-Lamar Woodley
    LDT-Aaron Smith
    RDT-Ziggy Hood
    RDE-Brett Kiesel

OLB-Lawrence Timmons
    OLB-James Harrison

CB-Ike Taylor
    SS-Troy Polamalu

There you go using rational arguments and logic when emotionalism is called for.

You hit the nail on the head why I think CONSIDERING the 4-3 should be on the table. It not only suits many of the young players we have but also IMO gets the next generation of young players into the mix sooner. It is still about the looks and schemes you run out of the 4-3 but you would in many cases eliminate the one to two year "redshirt" our version of the 3-4 seems to require.
    I think this is a very good argument.

Still, I think we'd need to add another run stopping DT and a really disruptive pass rushing DE to be effective.

Also, I think Harrison would need to move to DE in nickel and dime situations.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

LDE-Lamar Woodley
    LDT-Aaron Smith
    RDT-Ziggy Hood
    RDE-Brett Kiesel

OLB-Lawrence Timmons
    OLB-James Harrison

CB-Ike Taylor
    SS-Troy Polamalu

I think this is a very good argument.

Still, I think we'd need to add another run stopping DT and a really disruptive pass rushing DE to be effective.

Also, I think Harrison would need to move to DE in nickel and dime situations.
    That's why I've been thinking someone like Jerry Hughes, DE TCU or Brandon Graham, DE Michigan may be on our first round radar. Both are very disruptive pass rushers and would fit the mold of a 4-3 DE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Depending on who signs or doesn't sign in FA early, the Steelers would likely look for NT, FS, LB, CB or OL.

Unless CJ Spiller is on the board- then you simply have to weigh the impact of a player like Spiller vs 'Need'.

Spiller also acts as the KR/PR & 3rd down back option...could be a RB committee similar to the Panthers Williams/Stewart combo.

Imagine 15-20 touches for Mendenhall, 10-15 touches for Spiller per game....add in KR/PR opportunities....and this isn't even including Ben...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Depending on who signs or doesn't sign in FA early, the Steelers would likely look for NT, FS, LB, CB or OL.

Unless CJ Spiller is on the board- then you simply have to weigh the impact of a player like Spiller vs 'Need'.

Spiller also acts as the KR/PR & 3rd down back option...could be a RB committee similar to the Panthers Williams/Stewart combo.

Imagine 15-20 touches for Mendenhall, 10-15 touches for Spiller per game....add in KR/PR opportunities....and this isn't even including Ben...
    I agree. Spiller could add a Joe Cribbs/Percy Harvin/Darren Sproles element to the team. The guy has scored a TD in something like 15 straight games.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree. Spiller could add a Joe Cribbs/Percy Harvin/Darren Sproles element to the team. The guy has scored a TD in something like 15 straight games.
    Spiller would be a good option if we had that luxury. I don't think we do because our defense is getting old and it shows. We need a playmaker on defense. This is our draft to do it and I think there will be several good players available when we pick. Unfortunately, I think we need to go BPA on defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Spiller would be a good option if we had that luxury. I don't think we do because our defense is getting old and it shows. We need a playmaker on defense. This is our draft to do it and I think there will be several good players available when we pick. Unfortunately, I think we need to go BPA on defense.
    In the words of a 4-time Superbowl winning coach "you have to not lose before you can win". In other words, strong, fundamentally sound defense defines a winning team. I don't think we can rely on a 'try to outscore them' strategy. Draft defense 1-3.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

spiller would be a great pick, he has amazing speed. the steelers always go bpa so going offense if the right guy is still available is very possible. i just wish they would go heavy on the defensive side of the ball in the draft.