Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lebeau or Personale

Lebeau or Personale

I don't think Lebeau has forgoten how to coach all of a sudden. For reason unknown to me and I'll guess it is the dollar, McFadden was let go and it obviously hurt our defense. Gay is no replacement and if the coaches felt that at time he, would be or will be good then, they are really stupid. You don't take a Super Bowl team and screw with it's personal. Are the coaches so blind that they couldn't see Gay was not that good ?
    Looking good in practice if he did, wasn't the right formula for deciding he was a starter.
    Taylor is such a rollercoaster guy at times and that he can't intercept a ball is amazing. When he and McFadden came to the team, I thought McFadden was going to have the better career.
    Tyrone Carter seems like he gets worse each season. I know it is difficult to have backups and your team won't miss a beat but, Carter needs to be let go and they should start to develope someone to take over Troys place when his days end.
    Speaking of Troy, how in the hell can this guy be that good that the entire secondary sucks without him ? I mean, Troy boy has to be the best defensive player in the league if a secondary falls apart without him.
    Hampton still seems to have gas in the tank and I wonder were he will end up next season ? No to speak from both sides, If we do sign Hampton and keep guys the age of Hampton, Aaron Smith what, is their level of play and chance of injury going to be like next season ?
    Farriors position needs upgraded. I think our defense misses Foote.

I hope Tomlin isn't too trigger happy that he gets rid of Lebeau but, I doubt the Rooneys would allow that. I do hope he gets rid of Arians.
    I really don't care that we did put up so many points this weekend, the guy is too unblanced of game planning or game adjusting most of the times.

Legend

Re: Lebeau or Personal

It's the lack of pass rush. The most sacked QB in the league had all day to pass the ball. Any DBs will get beat when the QB has time in the pocket.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    It's the lack of pass rush. The most sacked QB in the league had all day to pass the ball. Any DBs will get beat when the QB has time in the pocket.
    money post. we all know how critical the loss of aaron smith was. if our front 3 don't take up 5 guys, our LB's can't get pressure and our CB's get exposed.

Legend

As more and more teams have gone to the 3-4 opponents are not surprised anymore. They know how to attck it because they are seeing it 8-10 times per year and for many teams they are practicing against it because that is what they run on their own defense.

Add to that that holding on pass plays is almost never called and you therefore take away the most important element required to make LeBeau's defense work...pressure on the QB. Without pressure on the QB the opponents WRs have time to find holes in the zone coverage defense where the DBs.

Personally, I think we have personnel better suited play an attacking 4-3 defense but that is an emotional debate that has been discussed many time here. I respect LeBeau for all he has done but really believe we need to seriously consider going in another direction.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    yup lack of pass rush has a lot to do with it but the fact is they are not a talented secondary to begain with. a great pass rush like last year wont expose them but when they dont get to the qb watch out.

Didn't we finish the game with ZERO sacks yesterday? There's no rush at all this season.

Pro Bowler

William Gay is a huge liability. It is obvious teams are picking on him. The physicality and awareness to play effectively at this level is simply not there. On one drive last night, GB picked on Gay 3 plays in a row. Here are the results of those plays ...

Play 1 (3rd and 2) Quick out to the WR. Gay takes a bad angle where he had a chance to stop the 1st down. WR goes for 7-8 yards (1st down). 5 Yard Cost above and beyond proper defending.

Play 2 (1st and 10) Again go to Gay's WR Gay manages to contact him at the 5-yard gain point. He drives Gay straight back for 3 yards. 3 Yard Cost above and beyond physical defending.

Play 3 (2nd and 2) Again go to Gay's WR. Gay whiffs (in such a way that he doesn't even slow him down or force him close to other defenders). The play goes for 16 yards. I'll give this a 12 yard cost above and beyond proper defense.

Total cost 20 yards due to poor tackling angle and lack of physicality. Meanwhile our OTHER defenders are tiring out.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Didn't we finish the game with ZERO sacks yesterday? There's no rush at all this season.
    We had one lowly sack yesterday. It got us to 3rd and 16, after which we promptly gave up an easy 20-something-yard gain. Oddly enough that big gainer went right about to the same spot where the Ravens got 17 yards on us late in the 4thQ on 3rd and 22 from their own 20-something yard line. The subsequent manageable 4th and 5 went to Ray Rice who took it for 1st and goal.

Legend

Gotta disagree with you Ovie. It's got nothing to do with teams "figuring it out" any more than they figure out the 4-3, which is far more common.

Pro Bowler

I think the pass rush is just a tick too slow this year... It might even be that the pass rush is exactly the same as last year, but QBs can get rid of the ball so easily because SOMEONE is open. Tyrone and Willie just can't cover anyone. Also, the word is out, 3rd and less than 8. Just see who is playing off the line, and throw a quick curl or quick slant to them. It's happened a LOT this year.

That being said, i believe the pass rush IS a tick slower, and our DBs can't cover anydamnedbody.