In local government corruption news from my neck of the woods that has an NFL angle:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Sour...om-office.html

Skrepenak issues statement, apologizing for "mistakes" he has made
Terrie Morgan-Besecker

WILKES-BARRE - Luzerne County Commissioner Greg Skrepenak has issued a statement in which he confirms he is resigning and apologizing for "mistakes he has made."

The statement, released by attorney Peter Moses, says Skrepenak did not realize he had done anything wrong until he met with authorities.

"They demonstrated to me the mistakes I made and now I must hold myself accountable for those mistakes and accept the consequences, no matter how difficult that may be," the statement says.

The statement does not specifically state what wrongdoing Skrepenak engaged in.

"I again want to stress my heartfelt sorrow for what has taken place. I can say without hesitation that I never intended to do wrong," the statement says.

HARRISBURG - An attorney for Luzerne County Commissioner Greg Skrepenak said Skrepenak has sent in a letter of resignation to Gov. Ed Rendell’s office. The resignation comes one day after a source said Skrepenak signed a plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney’s office.

Attorney Peter Moses confirmed Skrepenak planned to fax the letter of resignation to Rendell’s office some time around 3 p.m. today.

"It is my understanding Mr. Skrepenak has already sent in or is in the process of sending official notice of his resignation to Governor Rendell," Moses said in an interview at around 3:10 p.m.

A source familiar with the corruption probe said Skrepenak signed a plea agreement on Wednesday with the U.S. Attorney’s office.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, could not say what specific charge Skrepenak will plead to, but said the case is related to the ongoing corruption probe.

Prosecutors are expected to file a criminal complaint, along with the plea agreement, on Friday.

Moses declined to comment on whether Skrepenak will be charged.

For further updates check back with http://www.timesleader.com

UPDATED 1:43 P.M.

SCRANTON – Luzerne County Commissioner Greg Skrepenak has signed a plea agreement to a corruption charge and will resign from office today, a source familiar with the county corruption probe said.

Skrepenak signed the plea agreement on Wednesday with the U.S. Attorney’s office, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The source could not say what specific charge Skrepenak will plead to, but said the case is related to the ongoing corruption probe.

Prosecutors are expected to file a criminal complaint, along with the plea agreement, either today or Friday, the source said.

Skrepenak could not immediately be reached for comment. A message on his cell phone said it has been disconnected or is out of service.

Attorney Peter Moses confirmed he is representing Skrepenak, but declined to comment further.

Speculation that Skrepenak would be charged has been rampant for months.

In an interview on Nov. 20, Skrepenak said he expected to be questioned by federal prosecutors, but denied that he had committed any crime.

“In my mind I do not believe I did anything wrong,” Skrepenak said.

Contacted this afternoon, Luzerne County President Judge Chester Muroski said he had not independently confirmed the information obtained by The Times Leader.

Muroski said he is setting up a meeting with the other judges this afternoon to discuss the procedure that would be used to select a commissioner to replace Skrepenak.

The replacement must be a Democrat. County minority commissioner Stephen A. Urban said he hopes the judges don’t pick a “yes man.”

It’s not clear what impact Skrepenak’s resignation will have on the budget vote. Commissioner Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla, also a Democrat, needs a second vote to implement a tax increase that would avoid severe staff cuts.

Posted 1:07 p.m.

SCRANTON – Luzerne County Commissioner Greg Skrepenak has signed a plea agreement to a corruption charge and will resign from office today, a source familiar with the county corruption probe said.

Skrepenak signed the plea agreement on Wednesday with the U.S. Attorney’s office, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The source could not say what specific charges Skrepenak will plead to, but said the case is related to the ongoing corruption probe.