Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Give Arians some credit

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Give Arians some credit

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Our screen plays to RBs and TEs are among the worst I've ever seen at any level.
    I'd love for someone to explain this. I watch other teams constantly run these types of plays successfully and the Steelers are completely inept. Head scratching, the level of incompetence at this.
    The way the Steelers run them my 4 year old daughter can see them developing.....when you have four 300 pounders rambling to get out in front of the RB it is transparent. When you have the RB come up and chip someone like they are blocking only to peel out into the flat, then that is sneaky. We do the former, and not the latter.
    I hate them regardless... we don't have the OL to do it.. Ben doesn't sell it very well either..
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Mafia
    Then again, if our offense could put up big points against poor teams such as the Chiefs or Raiders, we wouldn't have to worry about our defense trying to protect slim to marginal leads.
    They put up 24 points against both teams. How many points does the O need to put on the board? If there are 24 points on the scoreboard and the Steelers lose - that's on the D. 24 should gurantee a win, especially against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL. Absurd. They had 5 TD's on the road for the entire season and put up 3 in one quarter.
    It is obvious that with this D, 24 points are not enough. There is no reason that against a sub par defense like Oakland that we can't put up 35 points or more. Yet we had three instances in the red zone where we came away with only 3 points total. That is pathetic. This Steeler Defense has trouble holding a lead, especially when it is only 10 points or less. Can they keep a lead of 20 or more? We won't know because we never get those kids of leads when our offense sputters like they did in the first half.

We have problems on both sides of the ball. However, this game showed us again that our normally tustworthy D is not as trustworthy as they used to be.
    It appeared to me that if the Steelers put up 35 points, Oakland would had scored 38 points. I think you are incorrect about the points scored in the red zone.

How many teams would you say put up 20 point leads consistently in the first half of games? I believe that is an unrealistic expectation. No matter how you want to slice it, giving up a lead is giving up a lead.
    Unrealistic? No it isn't! First off, I didn't say that we needed to put up all the points in the first half. Second, putting up these kind of points on crap teams isn't impossible. It is only impossible for the Steelers and the Arians run offense. The top tier teams seems to crush the lower teams reather easily, why can't we? It isn't all on the Defense.
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    This is a situational game...Arians can not stray from his game plan. He ticks me off more than any other OC ever has...and from a fan stand point a OC should not enter my mind during a game.
    I don't see why.. Arians calls a run and Mendenhall gets 30 yards.... luck, Arians sucks
    Arians calls a run and the Guard whifs and it's a 2 yard loss.. he is an idiot
    Arians calls a pass and we score.. Arians sucks it was all Ben
    Arians calls a pass and Ben throws an INT.. Arians sucks why did we throw it?

it's the players who muck it up 9/10 of the time....

When fans say we need to score more then 24 to beat KC and Oakland then the hate is placed in the wrong direction..
    So if we have the ball, it is 3rd and 10, and we throw a screen pass or run the ball in that hideous two TE set and the play gets stuffed, is that on the players or the coaches that call the plays?

Your love of Arians has you blinded my man. Is he the sole reason we lost, no. But he isn't completely innocent by any definition of the word.

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Steeler Mafia]
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steeler Mafia":rzidxkke
    Then again, if our offense could put up big points against poor teams such as the Chiefs or Raiders, we wouldn't have to worry about our defense trying to protect slim to marginal leads.
    They put up 24 points against both teams. How many points does the O need to put on the board? If there are 24 points on the scoreboard and the Steelers lose - that's on the D. 24 should gurantee a win, especially against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL. Absurd. They had 5 TD's on the road for the entire season and put up 3 in one quarter.
    It is obvious that with this D, 24 points are not enough. There is no reason that against a sub par defense like Oakland that we can't put up 35 points or more. Yet we had three instances in the red zone where we came away with only 3 points total. That is pathetic. This Steeler Defense has trouble holding a lead, especially when it is only 10 points or less. Can they keep a lead of 20 or more? We won't know because we never get those kids of leads when our offense sputters like they did in the first half.

We have problems on both sides of the ball. However, this game showed us again that our normally tustworthy D is not as trustworthy as they used to be.
    It appeared to me that if the Steelers put up 35 points, Oakland would had scored 38 points. I think you are incorrect about the points scored in the red zone.

How many teams would you say put up 20 point leads consistently in the first half of games? I believe that is an unrealistic expectation. No matter how you want to slice it, giving up a lead is giving up a lead.
    Unrealistic? No it isn't! First off, I didn't say that we needed to put up all the points in the first half. Second, putting up these kind of points on crap teams isn't impossible. It is only impossible for the Steelers and the Arians run offense. The top tier teams seems to crush the lower teams reather easily, why can't we? It isn't all on the Defense.[/quote:rzidxkke]

I guess I took what you wrote in regards to points scored the wrong way, my bad.

I know it is not impossible to put up points on crap teams. You have to remember that those crap teams have talent. Under the right circumstances, those bad teams can play well enough to win. The Eagles and Bengals are 2 other good teams the Raiders beat. They held the Bengals to 17 points and the Eagles to 9 points. It appeared they gave the Chargers two pretty good games.

All teams have their share of close games. Could be against good teams or bad teams. Take a look from the scores yesterday. Pats vs Phins, Saints vs Skins, Cleveland vs Chargers , NY vs Dallas, Seattle vs 49ners, Detroi vs Cincy. Most games in the league will be close. I really don't care if the Steelers blow teams out or win by one point, wins are wins.

24 point should had been enough to defeat the Raiders and the Chiefs. I still find it hard to believe that some people want to put all the blame on one person. A person that does not step one foot out on the field. He does not make the costly mistakes on the field. He does not throw the INT's, kick the FG's, make the blocks, ect. ect. ect.

We can disagree with plays called or over analyze the plays called. If you went around the league, I am sure you can find the same with every team. No one ever agrees
    100% of the time in regards to play calling. People always complained about the play calling for this team. People will always complain about the play calling. It goes back to no one agrees with play calling 100% of the time. Show me games OC where you agreed with every call. Easier yet, find me one game where you agreed with every call.

It is not all on the defense. It is not all on Arians either. There are fans that will have others believe that everything is Arians fault. Anytime the defense can't keep the other teams from scoring at the end of games, the pendulum swings slightly in their favor.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    No way Jose. His play calling at times is miserable. Take for example- 2nd down and goal to go in the very first series of the game. Now granted, Ben should have audibled out of it, but BA called the play- It was a running play (and if I'm not mistaken- a one back set) and there 9 men in the box. You can't run on that- someone would've been open on the outside. We don't make the 3rd down play because it is after all, going to be a pass play. We settle for another FG.

This is just one example- and folks can say well, they didn't execute the play, and that is true as well, HOWEVER, the play call has to put them in to a situation where they can succeed and not fail.

and , well said

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks.-- and keep up the good work with your pics......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Thanks.-- and keep up the good work with your pics......
    AMEN!