Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: might as well lose the rest... and get better draft position

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: might as well lose the rest... and get better draft position

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    I hate this type of mentality.

You play to win the games. Period.

Leave the "let's lose so we can get higher draft picks" to Browns fans ffs.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN
    heres a news flash, this team has troubles and tomlin doesn't know how to fix it. all three phases of the game and this team is spinning like a top.
    they better make some adjustments for the defense during the draft and free agency this next time around.

four games in a row we have lost and all the pep talks can't excuse the fact, they blew these games more than they got beat. i take that back, our secondary got beat.
    The lack of a pass rush in some of those situations was a factor.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    heres a news flash, this team has troubles and tomlin doesn't know how to fix it. all three phases of the game and this team is spinning like a top.
    they better make some adjustments for the defense during the draft and free agency this next time around.

four games in a row we have lost and all the pep talks can't excuse the fact, they blew these games more than they got beat. i take that back, our secondary got beat.

During the retooling Tomlin first year at the helm, 2007, we won the division but underwhelmed in the first round of the playoffs. The thing that stood out the most from that incarnation of our D was the lack of pass rush. Last year our front 7 got it done and put a great amount of pressure on opposing QBs. Its like they broke out the 2007 team this year. The difference? QBs had less time to develop their plays and pick our weak DBs apart.... and we had Troy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ASIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

During the retooling Tomlin first year at the helm, 2007, we won the division but underwhelmed in the first round of the playoffs. The thing that stood out the most from that incarnation of our D was the lack of pass rush. Last year our front 7 got it done and put a great amount of pressure on opposing QBs. Its like they broke out the 2007 team this year. The difference? QBs had less time to develop their plays and pick our weak DBs apart.... and we had Troy.
    The importance of Aaron Smith cannot be underestimated. Smith is strong against the run and can take up two blockers, which helps free our OLB's. The result is pressure on the QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Play football. Just win the next game. I have pride as a Steeler fan. Draft position means nothing to me. I would just hope some of the guys taking the field have the same pride I do. If you don't...Will your athletic abilty to me...I can play. "I don't have any rings or a big new contract...I will play like a Steeler!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Play football. Just win the next game. I have pride as a Steeler fan. Draft position means nothing to me. I would just hope some of the guys taking the field have the same pride I do. If you don't...Will your athletic abilty to me...I can play. "I don't have any rings or a big new contract...I will play like a Steeler!!!
    I love this mentality!!

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile
    since we ain't going nowhere, might as well put in the 2nd string talent and hurt our opponents, lose the remaining games and hope for better draft picks...

Our draft position is meaningless if Tomlin continues to have anything to do with said selection/s. (Ie: Gay, Sweed, Timmons, Mundy, Burnett, Lewis, Hood and Mindy even though he's no bum,..but yet a scatback with whom you cannnot control a game with)
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Our draft position is meaningless if Tomlin continues to have anything to do with said selection/s. (Ie: Gay, Sweed, Timmons, Mundy, Burnett, Lewis, Hood and Mindy even though he's no bum,..but yet a scatback with whom you cannnot control a game with)

You are insane.

Of those players the only I'm even close to writing off is Sweed, who truly looks terrible.

The rest are either young starters who are still developing, or guys playing out of position (Gay == nickel).

And Timmons/Mendenhall... I know you never liked Timmons, but he's 3rd on the team for sacks and has forced as many fumbles as Harrison, ffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    I agree that we shouldn't throw games.

But, if and when we get eliminated from playoff contention I do think we should give some young guys more chance to see the field so that we have a better idea how they perform on Sundays.

I also wouldn't mind putting in some wildcat with Dixon if we get eliminated. With Ben as our QB we are almost guarenteed to need to rely on the back-up QB for a couple games. It would be nice to get Dixon some experience and going wild cat might do this without pissing Ben off (and lessening his chance to getting seriously hurt in meaningless games).

Once you've been eliminated, winning the games isn't the #1 goal. Evaluating talent and preparing for the next season is (just like in the pre-season).

Legend

User Info Menu

You beat me to it.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.