Thread: Roethlisberger appears okay after game

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger appears okay after game

Sunday, November 22, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who left today's game in overtime after taking a blow to the head, appeared to be lucid in the Steelers locker room after their 27-24 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Needless to say, it was a concussion-oriented thing, so I doubt he was going to come back into the football game,'' coach Mike Tomlin said.

However, Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette as he pulled on his dress suit in the locker room that while he did not know if he received a concussion or not, he felt okay.

Roethlisberger left the game with 12:21 remaining in overtime after he scrambled and was sacked near midfield. Linebacker Derrick Johnson's knee inadvertently hit Roethlisberger in the head as the quarterback hit the ground.

Charlie Batch entered the game at that point, the first time the veteran backup has taken a snap since the 2007 season.

Starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu also left the game with a sprained MCL in his right knee. A similar injury kept safety Troy Polamalu sidelined for four games but offensive lineman normally can return more quickly because of the nature of the position. However, Kemoeatu is still likely to miss a couple of games with the injury.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09326/1015593-100.stm#ixzz0Xdxufk5p"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09326/10 ... z0Xdxufk5p[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Roethlisberger appears okay after game

Concussions can be funny things. I got one in a game once and it didn't hit me until I got on the team bus after.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Concussions can be funny things. I got one in a game once and it didn't hit me until I got on the team bus after.
    I agree...I got one skiing. Last run of the night ... bit it on a jump. got up, finished the run, put my ski's away at the locker. THEN next thing I know I was driving home in my friends car.

Although it didn't look like he got a direct hit...i think his neck will be awfully stiff in the morning for taking some of the shock.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They just need to keep an eye on him for a couple days. He might be fine or he might just need to get further attention.

Backup

User Info Menu

Allot of wishful thinking. He has a concussion and rightfully shouldn't play. But given the pressure to play he'll probably play next week and be less effective. There's a happy thought- against Baltimore at Baltimore post-concussive and with a rookie guard!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    Allot of wishful thinking. He has a concussion and rightfully shouldn't play. But given the pressure to play he'll probably play next week and be less effective. There's a happy thought- against Baltimore at Baltimore post-concussive and with a rookie guard!
    ...stay off WebMD rookie and wait for the official diagnosis.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    ...stay off WebMD rookie and wait for the official diagnosis.

I'll try.

And I very much admire your ski slope heroics so I'll check with you first next time before I share an idea.