Thread: So called "sense of urgency" is a myth

Legend

User Info Menu

So called "sense of urgency" is a myth

Think for a moment about the demeanor of great teams.

Most do not show a visible, "sense of urgency."

The Steeler did not last year

Nolls teams didnt, Landrys teams didnt, Walshs teams didnt Belicheks teams dont.

Most great teams dont get too high or too low during the season.

When I see a great team fall behind there demeanor changes little.

You want a sense of urgency?

Look at Payton when a receiver drops a pass in a big game or Ray Ray sceaming "we cant lose to these guys" at his teamates when his team is behind.

What people call "a sense of ugency" or "leadership" is actually a kind of masked panic.

Cowher had the same emotional approach. Only when he took a much calmer approach did he win it all.

Given the same talent, I will take the businesslike approach every time.

Teams dont lose for being complacent, lacking desire. They lose because of poor execution.
    Our problem is execution people.

A calm cerebral approah to addressing these mistakes is all this team needs.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: So called "sense of urgency" is a myth

The Steelers didn't play with a sense of urgency last year? Really?? So they approached every game like it wasn't all that important?

Teams don't lose because of lack of desire? Really? So successful teams just go through the motions without their heart fully in it? Wow.

BTW, I do not equate a "sense of urgency" with panic, or screaming at players, or anything like that. I do equate it with a willingness to step in and address what needs to be addressed. I do equate it with a willingness to step up and do what needs to be done to win.

This is a team with Super Bowl talent that is playing well below their capacity week after week. This is a team that is sloppy, and doesn't exhibit the desire to get it done. That shows in everything from fourth-quarter defensive collapses to kick return TDs allowed to continual poor play-calling.

Again, three words: Super Bowl Hangover.

The good news is, we are not yet completely out of the playoff race, and if we can turn things around this season can be salvaged.

Legend

User Info Menu

Super Bowl Hangover is also a myth.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers didn't play with a sense of urgency last year? Really?? So they approached every game like it wasn't all that important?

Teams don't lose because of lack of desire? Really? So successful teams just go through the motions without their heart fully in it? Wow.
    You miss the point.
    Yes, teams dont lose for lack of desire. I am not saying teams without desire win, I just think everybody wants to win. I believe it is extremely rare that any difference in desire is the difference in winning and losing.

In 95 Cowboys are SB champs. Steelers have come close so often. You cannot tell me the Steelers dont want it more. Execution won that game plain and simple.

BTW, I do not equate a "sense of urgency" with panic, or screaming at players, or anything like that. I do equate it with a willingness to step in and address what needs to be addressed. I do equate it with a willingness to step up and do what needs to be done to win.
    A "sense of ugency" is a state of mind that manifests itself in a persons bearing.

House is on fire, everybody sleeping I wake up first. I will be in a state of urgency like you have never seen in a game.

I want a calm team, even under adversity.

Joe Montana says "hey look there is John Candy" while attemping a comeback in the SB. Is he complacent? No. neither is he "just going through the motions".

If I look at Montana in those situations there is nothing that looks "urgent".

That same attitude "looks" like complacency if you happen to lose.

This is a team that is sloppy,
    Execution, not urgency

and doesn't exhibit the desire to get it done. That shows in everything from fourth-quarter defensive collapses to kick return TDs allowed to continual poor play-calling.
    Execution again, nothing nessearily to do with desire.

Again, three words: Super Bowl Hangover.
    SB hangover? Ummm we had a HUGE 4th quarter defensive collapse DURING the SB

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Super Bowl Hangover is also a myth.
    I really feel Ben was truly hungover during the Bengals game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming
    Yes, teams dont lose for lack of desire. I am not saying teams without desire win, I just think everybody wants to win. I believe it is extremely rare that any difference in desire is the difference in winning and losing.
    And I believe that the outcome of many games DOES come down to which team WANTS it worse.

In 95 Cowboys are SB champs. Steelers have come close so often. You cannot tell me the Steelers dont want it more. Execution won that game plain and simple.
    I think that is true IN THAT CASE. However, many games DO come down, in large part, to the element of DESIRE.

A "sense of urgency" is a state of mind that manifests itself in a persons bearing.

House is on fire, everybody sleeping I wake up first. I will be in a state of urgency like you have never seen in a game.

I want a calm team, even under adversity.
    But a sense of urgency DOESN'T mean you can't be calm; it doesn't mean you have to be in panic. It DOES mean you get AFTER what you need to do to RECTIFY the situation. If your house is on fire, I hope you remain calm, and don't panic, but I also hope you do whatever you need to do to get your loved ones out before they die. I hope you don't yawn and turn over in bed for a few more winks before you do anything; I hope you don't piddle around and waste precious time.

Joe Montana says "hey look there is John Candy" while attemping a comeback in the SB. Is he complacent? No. neither is he "just going through the motions".

If I look at Montana in those situations there is nothing that looks "urgent".
    What the heck???? Montana was calm, but he certainly didn't waste time and piddle away his opportunities as he attempted that comeback...he HAD a sense of urgency, or he would NOT have ended up leading his team to the winning score.

Execution, not urgency
    When it comes to sloppy play, often the execution is hindered by the LACK of urgency.

and doesn't exhibit the desire to get it done. That shows in everything from fourth-quarter defensive collapses to kick return TDs allowed to continual poor play-calling.
    Execution again, nothing nessearily to do with desire.
    So you disagree with Brett Keisel, who said that coverage on ST's basically comes down to a matter of DESIRE?