Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super. Bowl. Hangover.

Legend

User Info Menu

Super. Bowl. Hangover.

This is a team that has played like they thought they were penciled in for the playoffs.

And now, we see the ugly reality that they may not even MAKE the playoffs.

Where is the sense of urgency? The hunger? The passion and drive to do whatever it takes to win games? I don't see it.

Championship teams don't give up a kick return for a touchdown every game. Exactly what has been done from the coaching end to try to FIX this problem? Whatever they're doing, it ISN'T getting it done. You can try to bring in better athletes for STs, but I agree with Keisel, kick coverage, more than anything, boils down to DESIRE. And it just isn't there.

It's not just on ST's...it's an attitude that permeates this whole team. They are playing like they're satisfied with last year's SB victory. They're not playing like they want it this year.

Soon, whether they want it or not will be IRRELEVANT, because they will find themselves OUT of the RUNNING.

While there are many facets to the problem, ultimately it winds up in the lap of Tomlin.
    For all his talk, I believe he was satisfied with last year's title to the point where he's gotten complacent. And the whole team is reflecting that attitude.

Extremely, extremely disappointing.

When you can't beat the Kansas City freakin' Chiefs, you don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Super. Bowl. Hangover.

To put this all on Tomlin isn't correct because he's not responsible for injuries to key players like Troy & Aaron, & the players have to execute...but he is responsible for reigning in both Arians & Lebeau - & it's clear that some reigning in needs to be done. The numbers are there for both, but when you're getting the results then you need to make those changes. For Arians it may be more balance & changing the routes some of the guys are running...for LeBeau, while it's tough having to play your 3rd & 4th string DE's & a hit-or-miss player like Carter, you can't make it worse by playing an improvisational style where you just don't have the players to make it work.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    To put this all on Tomlin isn't correct because he's not responsible for injuries to key players like Troy & Aaron, & the players have to execute...but he is responsible for reigning in both Arians & Lebeau - & it's clear that some reigning in needs to be done. The numbers are there for both, but when you're getting the results then you need to make those changes. For Arians it may be more balance & changing the routes some of the guys are running...for LeBeau, while it's tough having to play your 3rd & 4th string DE's & a hit-or-miss player like Carter, you can't make it worse by playing an improvisational style where you just don't have the players to make it work.
    I'm not putting it all on Tomlin, but when the guy on top has no sense of urgency, how can you expect the players to? And why ISN'T he "reigning in" Arians and LeBeau? Simple--it hasn't been all that big a concern to him. And what about stepping in and doing something about ST's? Why not? Guess he's content to sit home and kiss last year's Super Bowl ring.

After last week's pathetic, crap-laden effort, you'd think he would have shook things up to wake up his team. It's obvious that didn't happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

How do you know he has no sense of urgency?

His job depends on him having a sense of urgency.

Is he supposed to run around like a maniac simply to placate the fans, who undoubtedly would criticize him for his lack of composure?

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, and a SB "hangover" is every bit as fictitious as the Madden "curse".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I will say this...I don think that he needs to have the the team put on the pads during the week's practice because they haven't earned it. And I'm looking to Tomlin to bust on some guys now - like he did with Casey & Mendenhall - & get some guys worried about their jobs.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

it's the small things.. holding penalties, illegal formation, ST's coverage, DB's dropping INT's and giving up 3rd and whatever...

Tomlin indeed doesn't look fired up when we are up by 10 or down by 10.. and although it may be his style I have seen enough highlights to know he can get after them and still keep it cool.

The SB hangover is indeed in full effect.. just like the madden curse.. maybe they don't exist but the numbers tell a different story. Way too many teams put up a stinker after the SB and those who repeat end up getting caught for cheating..

Pats and Bronco's both did.. LOL!!
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I love the SB hangover excuse. I don't believe anyone thought that two weeks ago. There is still plenty of football to be played.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I love the SB hangover excuse. I don't believe anyone thought that two weeks ago. There is still plenty of football to be played.
    Agreed.

The Steelers are playing sloppy and still 6-4...with a lot of football left to play.

The Bengals are struggling with the Raiders...are they suffering from "swept the defending champs hangover" today?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    How do you know he has no sense of urgency?

His job depends on him having a sense of urgency.

Is he supposed to run around like a maniac simply to placate the fans, who undoubtedly would criticize him for his lack of composure?
    He doesn't need to "run around like a maniac," but he DOES need to tend to underachieving, sloppy play by players and inept play-calling and coaching by coaches. That may include sitting players, suspending them, fining them, reigning in coaches, getting more involved in offensive and defensive game-planning and even in ST coaching. What evidence have we seen that Tomlin has done ANY of this, other than benching Mendy for one game because of a poor practice?

Why didn't he fine/bench Skippy after his public embarrassment last month?
    Why didn't he deal with Woodley and his woeful underachieving the first two months of this season?
    Why the heck is Bruce Arians still allowed to call bonehead calls like a sweep with Moore on 3rd and 2?
    There's blame enough to go around for almost everyone, but the buck has to stop with Tomlin. This season, he's done a crappy job.