Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Couple of observations...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Couple of observations...

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Ben was throwing the underneath passes all day.

Lots of YAC makes it look like he didn't.

He did in that last td series, but missed quite a few when he chose the long passes that were over thrown.

I'm sitting there at the club pointing this to the people at the table. They were seeing it too.

Am I going back and watching it to prove it? Nope. It is what it is.
    We have the luxury of watching on TV without bodies flying all around us. We can see the whole big picture.

You can watch any NFL game and see a QB not throwing to an open man. It happens.

A QB can only look at one receiver at a time to decide whether he can get the ball to him. In a split second he has to decide whether to go to him with the ball or to move on to someone else...progressions. There is no seeing every receiver at once. It's just not possible.

You don't have to go back and look at anything. Ben threw a lot of short passes today. The receivers did a very good job of taking them for long gains.

And as Enip pointed out, you have to throw long from time to time to keep the D honest.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Big ben did checkdown a lot in this game.

OK. You're right. I'm wrong. Even when I showed it to the crowd I was watching it with.

Sorry. Will Pete like me now.
    Bro, you're a Steeler fan, I like you no matter what

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

the INT in the endzone was baffling.. I can't see why he thought that was a good throw at the time.

Anyway... we definitey are abandoning the run to early. Wonder if Ben is checking out or if BA is full speed ahead..

funny thing is most fans screamed for the pass happy offense. I just want the wins.. I don't care how they come.

Way too many yard generated to lose...

The Defense is a problem right now.. Gay SUCKS.. our DB's can't catch and 3rd and whatever is damn near always a first down.

I also have to call Tomlin out.. if Mendenhall sits after running for 160 yards because of practice "details" then what the hell is the ST's doing in practice?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    I am a big fan of Ben, but with that stated let me ask all of you one quesiton since we try to compare Ben to Brady and Manning all the time. Do you think the Pats or Colts have the same type of outcome with those two facing this same Chiefs team?

The only point I am making for those who say Ben isn't in that league is that those two guys likely lite up this team for at least 35 points...

brothervad
    Valid thought...but I would have to say that those two are still better at this point than Ben - no knock him, but he's still growing - but in the things that count - SB's - he's one ahead of Manning & only one behind the pretty boy. That said...if we are more efficient in the red-zone, then Ben's numbers are skyrocketing & the discussion continues.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Big ben did checkdown a lot in this game.

OK. You're right. I'm wrong. Even when I showed it to the crowd I was watching it with.

Sorry. Will Pete like me now.

I did not say you are wrong. Its just that Big Ben did checkdown a lot compared to Bungles game. Did he leave few points there by not dumping the ball to TE or RB.. ..hell yes.Thats just how Big Ben plays. He does not play like Brady or Manning. If people stop comparing him to those 2 QBs i think we will have less heart burn...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad

I have stated in other threads that while the Steelers are good, there just seems to be something missing. I don't see a killer instinct in this team.

Brothervad
    Exactly. Super Bowl hangover.

I would think you'd want to get another one just as badly as you wanted to get the last one. But that sure doesn't seem to be the case with the Steelers. Wasn't the case the season after SB 40, and isn't the case after SB 43.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    the INT in the endzone was baffling.. I can't see why he thought that was a good throw at the time.

Anyway... we definitey are abandoning the run to early. Wonder if Ben is checking out or if BA is full speed ahead..

funny thing is most fans screamed for the pass happy offense. I just want the wins.. I don't care how they come.

Way too many yard generated to lose...

The Defense is a problem right now.. Gay SUCKS.. our DB's can't catch and 3rd and whatever is damn near always a first down.

I also have to call Tomlin out.. if Mendenhall sits after running for 160 yards because of practice "details" then what the hell is the ST's doing in practice?
    I thought Ben was hit just as he released the ball on the EZ pick.

The lack of INTs is annoying. You see highlights every week of turnovers, but it seems the ones our D gets are few and far between. I'm probably wrong on that, but we sure seem to be in a dry spell.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound45
    Bottom line - we are just not that good without Troy.
    FTFY?
    Sorry brother, but if we cannot stop the Chiefs without Troy, then we are not that good. He was not on special teams. He did not throw two interceptions, one in the red zone that was converted into a TD, one that was a TD (same guy).

That is okay. I lived through the 80s and 90s. Things will get better.

Legend

User Info Menu

there were plenty of checkowns

not only to RBs and TE but also some short WR screens and patterns.

IIRC there were 2 deep balls all day, with 1 of them completed