Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple of observations...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Couple of observations...

Places to assess how a loss is constructed...

First Kickoff--say no more

dropped Picks--Ryan Clark earlier in the game and then Ike Taylor. Couple last weeks drop by Clark when it mattered...these guys are pathetic in that regard.

Defense--its hard to say they are bad because the data just doesn't indicate that. So it's not that they are bad, but all season long there are times when it seems like they take a drive off. Today after getting up 24-17 they let up on the gas

In OT, the pitch on 3rd and 2 was such a stupid call...that is all on BA

I will reserve my comments on Ben--he played very well at times, but you live by holding onto the ball too long and you die by it. The 94 yard pick was a tipped ball so hard to place all the blame on Ben, but it's apparent he needs to change as well.

I have stated in other threads that while the Steelers are good, there just seems to be something missing. I don't see a killer instinct in this team.

Brothervad

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Couple of observations...

About the tipped ball, is it me or is this starting to become a trend? Ben needs to get the ball over the line. I know we've had a minimum of 2 tipped balls for INTs in the last couple games.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Don't forget another game where Mendenhall only had 17 carries at the end of regulation. Maybe Bruce thought he would show all of us that he's in charge & if he wants to call 50+ passing plays, he'll do it.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Starter

User Info Menu

Bottom line - we are just not that good.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound45
    Bottom line - we are just not that good without Troy.
    FTFY?
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Don't forget another game where Mendenhall only had 17 carries at the end of regulation. Maybe Bruce thought he would show all of us that he's in charge & if he wants to call 50+ passing plays, he'll do it.
    This, to me, is the biggest reason the Steelers lost today. In the first half, they mixed in the run enough times that the play-action was freezing the Chief defenders giving Ben ALL DAY to throw the ball. But when they abandoned the run in the 2nd half, the Chiefs blitzed EVERY DOWN in the 4th quarter, continually rushing 5-6 guys. Not only did we not run the ball to keep them honest, not a single roll-out, screen, or draw was called to beat the blitz. You can talk about a lack of execution all you want, but that kind of play calling is destined to lose.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bottom line - we are just not that good.
    That's the frustrating thing...we are that good, we just have either the worst luck or breakdowns at the wrong time - that's what's driving all of us crazy. The numbers are there for both the offense & defense, Ben has great numbers, Mendenhall has come alive, Harrison has the sacks...I just don't get it. Injuries are one thing - especially Troy's & Aaron's - but it goes deeper than that & Tomlin has got to get it figured out.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    This, to me, is the biggest reason the Steelers lost today. In the first half, they mixed in the run enough times that the play-action was freezing the Chief defenders giving Ben ALL DAY to throw the ball. But when they abandoned the run in the 2nd half, the Chiefs blitzed EVERY DOWN in the 4th quarter, continually rushing 5-6 guys. Not only did we not run the ball to keep them honest, not a single roll-out, screen, or draw was called to beat the blitz. You can talk about a lack of execution all you want, but that kind of play calling is destined to lose.

Pete
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

True Fan

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Bottom line - we are just not that good with Tomlin.
    FTFY?

ftfy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=Steeler Mafia]
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":34marb2d

Pete
    [/quote:34marb2d]

I was wondering about the breakdown of pass/run. As mentioned, I thought we were nicely balanced in the 1st half but then went to the pass the majority of the time in the 2nd. Who do we blame for that?