Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What About Bruce?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: What About Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    move the pocket... Ben never rolled out. We didn't run those reverses that slow a blitzing team down..

I think it was kinda basic today.. stuff that usually works didn't and I don't think we ever had a sense of urgency. It's like we were happy to keep it close but no one stepped up to be the hero
    I felt the same way...there seemed to be no sense of urgency.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

move the pocket... Ben never rolled out. We didn't run those reverses that slow a blitzing team down..

I think it was kinda basic today.. stuff that usually works didn't and I don't think we ever had a sense of urgency. It's like we were happy to keep it close but no one stepped up to be the hero

Ding ding ding ding ding! Exactly.....oh well....ugh, i hate these type of Sunday's
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Starter

User Info Menu

Bengals are the better team in this division. They came out and out manned the Steelers not once, but twice.

The thing is while giving Bengals props you can make some observations about the Steelers plays as well...

I think some of the injuries on D are starting to take some toll...on the last drive the Bengals were doing a pretty good job of running it down the Steelers throat...I thought to myself isn't this how the Steelers used to close out games. I think the short week maginified this problem. Troy being out IMHO made a huge difference.

I know I am going to get stoned for this but I think our D is in a transition period...now don't get me wrong it is a very, very, very good to great D but there are some things that look a little off...How many picks did the D leave on the field? Clark can't drop that pick late in the game. It cost us both time and points (I believe Bengals went up 15-12 because of that drive). I think Farrior has slowed down...and Timmons does occassionally look to take the wrong angle. I may be cuckoo for cocoa puffs but there just seems to be as slight drop in the D this year...not enough to for it to be a hole but not as dominant

Ben--simply put--real bad game. But his receivers weren't much of a help...especially in the red zone...I think but I may be mis-remembering both Wallace and Holmes had chances to make catches in EZ on drives and missed. But that is just a small part...the biggest complaint I had with Ben today was his impatience....on the two last drives he throws deep into Double coverage....it ended up putting the offense in 2nd and 10's which was not going to help us out much today. Maybe there was nothing available...but he sure did seem to have happy feet today.

Special teams--why is it a constant spot of weakness regardless of coaches for the Steelers. btw I have grown tired of Jeff Reed's wave at returners...if he just stops his body and makes the guy go one way or the other it likely slows him enough to help out pursuers.

Ok I am done...I guess if we run off another 5 wins this won't feel so bad (especially if the Bengals go 3-2 ). But I really just feel that somethingg is slightly off this year.

brothervad

Banned

User Info Menu

Timmons... is still learning the ILB position..
    Fox is much better inside IMO..
    He isn't flashy but he takes better angles and plugs the holes while Timmons seems to take on blocks but he can't shed them without moving 3 yards out of the gap.

I love Timmons but he is not so great as an ILB right now..

Starter

User Info Menu

He isn't flashy but he takes better angles and plugs the holes while Timmons seems to take on blocks but he can't shed them without moving 3 yards out of the gap.

Agreed. Felt am I off base on Farrior? I just don't get the sense he is as impactful as in the past. He seems to not be in position like previous seasons.

borthervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    He kept Ben tied down the whole game with a very basic offense...never let the man go no huddle when it looks like they may have benefited from it...could have tired out that Defense a little...Ben did look bad today, but he cant have a great game every time.

We should have ran the ball more, considering how much they were blitzing Ben...Not a good called game today on offense..

not a well executed game by the offense either....the line looked slow and sluggish...kinda like last year...

WR's couldnt get open and that forced Ben to hold onto the ball and make poor decisions.
    How do you know the offense was basic? Do you really think the no huddle would of been effective the way Ben, Oline, and Bengals defense played today? Bengals defense did a very good job confusing the pass protection schemes. No huddle did not work in crunch time today.

The run game was not very effective. Bengals have a good run defense. I believe number 2 in the league.

I think you are more correct about the execution part. Bengals out executed the Steelers when they needed to. Ben had open WR's at times. He usually likes to look down the field more often then not. It would take more analysis and film study to determine what the real problem was in the passing game.
    I don't remember us going no huddle...not once (although I did step outside the bar a couple of times). It was a pathetically called game and the execution stunk as well. With the kind of of pressure that was applied to us today, you have to go to a package like the no-huddle to try and slow the rush. We didn't see that, we didn't see any screens, no roll-outs, and we didn't see the quick hitting passing game after the first two plays. What we saw was BA at his finest. Having Ben stand back on 5 and 7 step drops, unleashing horribly thrown deep balls at inexplicably horrible times.

BA is amongst the worst play-callers I have ever seen and for you to continually defend him makes me think you are related to him somehow.

The guy flat-out sucks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did Timmons have a bad game? It was his first game back and he is still learning. The only way he will learn is to play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, he didn't have a good game, IMO. (Timmons) He made a few mistakes there in the 4th q.

But he didn't lose the game, so big deal on talking about Timmons. Not so sure if I'd go and say the Bengals are now the best team in the division.. /A lot can happen between now and the end of the year....We could see them again- in Cincy.

The ST cost us in both games. And in the 1st one, we were up 20-9 with the game to win.

We won 5 in a row, we lost one. Suck it up and move on- and they will.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    He kept Ben tied down the whole game with a very basic offense...never let the man go no huddle when it looks like they may have benefited from it...could have tired out that Defense a little...Ben did look bad today, but he cant have a great game every time.

We should have ran the ball more, considering how much they were blitzing Ben...Not a good called game today on offense..

not a well executed game by the offense either....the line looked slow and sluggish...kinda like last year...

WR's couldnt get open and that forced Ben to hold onto the ball and make poor decisions.
    How do you know the offense was basic? Do you really think the no huddle would of been effective the way Ben, Oline, and Bengals defense played today? Bengals defense did a very good job confusing the pass protection schemes. No huddle did not work in crunch time today.

The run game was not very effective. Bengals have a good run defense. I believe number 2 in the league.

I think you are more correct about the execution part. Bengals out executed the Steelers when they needed to. Ben had open WR's at times. He usually likes to look down the field more often then not. It would take more analysis and film study to determine what the real problem was in the passing game.
    We never went no huddle...not once. It was a pathetically called game and the execution stunk as well. With the kind of of pressure that was applied to us today, you have to go to a package like the no-huddle to try and slow the rush. We didn't see that, we didn't see any screens, and we didn't see the quick hitting passing game after the first two plays. What we saw was BA at his finest. Having Ben stand back on 5 and 7 step drops, unleashing horribly thrown deep balls at inexplicably horrible times.

BA is amongst the worst play-callers I have ever seen and for you to continually defend him makes me think you are related to him somehow.

The guy flat-out sucks.
    People jump all over the no huddle when they think it will be the answer. I am not sure sure it would have been the answer today. That's because of the way the players on offense performed. They did not execute when they had opportunities. Give the Bengals defense credit for having a hand in the offensive struggles.

If I remember correctly, they tried a couple of screens in the game. They also threw some quick passes. A lot of those quick passes, Ben was not sharp or the WR's did not catch the ball (execution). We don't know the number of quick passes that were called without knowing the play book and watching film. Gotta love how the OC's on this board make these assumptions about the play calls.

A couple of times the WR's were open on the deep passes. The passes appeared to be under thrown (execution). Ultimately, Ben decides where to throw the ball. He had more then one WR running routes. He was not forced to throw it deep.

No, I am not related to him. I see it for what it is. It is mostly on the players. He cannot do much if Ben or the Oline is playing poorly. He helped to put them in the red zone a few times in the game. A couple of times, players mistakes cost them chances to score TD's. Give the Bengals defense credit for doing a good job today.

Like most weeks this game falls mostly on the players. I can go back to numerous times they failed to execute. We can point out a play call here and there that we disagree with but execution is the key to winning. Execution falls on the players.

By chance do you have a copy of the Steelers play book?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

I don't remember us going no huddle...not once (although I did step outside the bar a couple of times). It was a pathetically called game and the execution stunk as well. With the kind of of pressure that was applied to us today, you have to go to a package like the no-huddle to try and slow the rush. We didn't see that, we didn't see any screens, no roll-outs, and we didn't see the quick hitting passing game after the first two plays. What we saw was BA at his finest. Having Ben stand back on 5 and 7 step drops, unleashing horribly thrown deep balls at inexplicably horrible times.

The guy flat-out sucks.
    Sorry but this loss falls directly on ben and on special teams. BA shouldn't even be in the equation. The sacks were also on ben for the most part, not the oline. He missed receivers all day, forced balls, and was off. And no, I'm not related to BA.