Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OCD..

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: OCD..

Also, I should mention, I don't care if others smoke - that's their perogative. I'll smoke cigars on occassion but it has become much more difficult to find a place that it's ok to smoke them other than my own back porch or a friend's.

It's a pain when traveling on business and the opportunity arises and finding an enjoyable spot to smoke a cigar. I suspect it's totally different than a cigarette smoker because it takes more time.

Either way it's probably a bad habit, so I try not to do it too often.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Yeah that's pretty nasty. I have only said one thing to a manager. I seen an employee out smoking...came in dipped his hands in a dirty bucket of water/chemicals washed down the counter...then without washing his hands made my food. I spoke to the manager and she acted like there was nothing wrong with what he did. I also asked why employees were not required to wear gloves at their establishment. She said it isn't state law. Shocking I know...Kentucky a state known for it's cleanliness and sanitation...lol.

Many really bad illnesses come through the fecal/oral route. Meaning, you are eating someone elses ish and get sick. Many of these guys getting paid minimum wage don't care if they wash their hands. They will wipe their acs and handle your food without washing...not think twice. It's absolutely disturbing if you think about it. My advice...eat at home.
    oh man that is nasty. you are right though even high class restaurants have some gross kitchens. if i had a similar expierence that you described i might not eat out as much, but i have never witnessed something that disturbing. the best thing to do imo is not think about germs or anything like that ever. i think a lot of it is mental. i get one cold a year and im in great shape, but i still eat fast food twice a week. ive known people to be obsessed with germs and they are sick all the time. i almost make it a point when i eat out some where not to look at people preparing my food. it seems silly to most im sure but it works for me. at subway you have no choice but at least they have to wear gloves
    I think some people tend to get sicker than others and have to worry about this stuff as a result.

I'm like you in that I barely ever get sick.

These are all pretty gross stories, but the one thing that does bother me is when a smoker prepares my food. Somehow the smell from the smoker transfers into the food.

I also heard recently that the smoke residue on stuff can cause cancer. You don't even have to be around the second hand smoke.
    I believe alot of that to be nonsense. The anti-smoking crowd as high up as governmental health organizations have been known to distort studies for agenda and funding. Believe me I do not advocate smoking or breathing in other's second hand smoke. With that said, occasional contact with byproducts of smoking/smokers has never been shown in any reputable study to cause cancer.
    i heard it on Dr Oz for what it's worth
    He has no reputable studies to back up his claims. Not one.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also, I should mention, I don't care if others smoke - that's their perogative. I'll smoke cigars on occassion but it has become much more difficult to find a place that it's ok to smoke them other than my own back porch or a friend's.

It's a pain when traveling on business and the opportunity arises and finding an enjoyable spot to smoke a cigar. I suspect it's totally different than a cigarette smoker because it takes more time.

Either way it's probably a bad habit, so I try not to do it too often.
    Ya know the way I see it...life is dangerous and filled with vice that can harm you. No matter how well you take care of yourself you meet the same fate as the rest of us. So, I have always preached to enjoy in moderation. If you can't enjoy in moderation then refrain. I can't drink alcohol in moderation...just not built like that...so I refrain. But, I can smoke cigars in moderation so I do.

I have written on cigar message boards about studies involving cigars. There have been numerous studies on the effects of cigar smoke. Most agree that inhaling a cigar in your lungs is not wise. But, cigars are never meant to be inhaled into the lungs. I draw into the mouth and out the nose without ever inhaling. In that setting cigars have extremely low cancer rates if you smoke less than two a day. If you are only smoking a few a month...honestly I think you'll be just fine. I will say mixing cigars and alcohol seems to heighten the risk mainly of pancreatic cancer.

As for passive transfer of carcinogens from a food preparers hands. I mean logically you get more exposure to carcinogens through pollution in most parts of the country. And most people don't realize only a minority of life time smokers get cancer of any sort let alone lung cancer. The way cigarette smokers die is much more horrible. Most die of COPD...basically suffocate slowly to death over years. It's a horrible thing to watch. So, if most lifetime smokers don't get cancer...it's hard for me to believe the occasional contact with the tiny amounts of cigarette byproducts will give anyone cancer.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    ... My biggest OCD is germs and my friends call me the Monk. I do the wipes the Purell, open doors with my sleeve and wash my hands every chance I get.

I fired a guy on his first day for not washing his hands after he went to the mens room. I walked in as he was leaving the stall from going number two and we passed at the mens room entrance door and I asked him, " didn't you just go to bathroom ? " " Why didn't you wash your hands ? " His reply was, " it's not lunch time, I'm not going to be eating and I did use toilet paper. "

I am with you Fezz....they make fun of me at work because i am the same way. One of our top sales men walked out the pooper the other day as i was washing my hands and he looked in the mirror, adjusted his tie and kept on trucking. i was mortified....one of our psychometricians also does that, he is an older man with a cane but still....he just walks out the restroom with out even a glance at the sinks...eesh, i am getting sick just thinking of it....

Yeeww. I'm so squeemish that ...

Just reading these posts make me want to wash my hands!!

I'm the same way. When I wash my hands in the men's room, I turn the faucet ON and OFF with a paper towel. And I find a way to somehow use my clothes to open the door out of the rest room.

There - beat that!!

Brought to you by the OCD-OCD (Organization of Competitive Disorderly Obsessive Compulsive Disorderlies)

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I do the same thing. What I also hate is when you learn after touching the faucet that, there is no soap. Yeah, my friends and workers call me " Monk " .

I preach to my daughters 8 and 5 about washing their hands before dinner, lunch or anytime they touch food. I also get on them for playing with the rabbits and washing their hands before they touch anything. All those rabbits do is wiz on theirselves and each other. One day I'm telling my kids, " always wash your hands when you come home from school, wash yours hands after you blow your nose, etc be clean. " My wife interupts and said, " be clean, be OCD, be your father. "
    I know I drive them nuts but I can't help it.

Oh yeah, my brother is pretty much like me when it comes to this stuff. When we were kids they used to call us, Spic and Span.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    ... My biggest OCD is germs and my friends call me the Monk. I do the wipes the Purell, open doors with my sleeve and wash my hands every chance I get.

I fired a guy on his first day for not washing his hands after he went to the mens room. I walked in as he was leaving the stall from going number two and we passed at the mens room entrance door and I asked him, " didn't you just go to bathroom ? " " Why didn't you wash your hands ? " His reply was, " it's not lunch time, I'm not going to be eating and I did use toilet paper. "

I am with you Fezz....they make fun of me at work because i am the same way. One of our top sales men walked out the pooper the other day as i was washing my hands and he looked in the mirror, adjusted his tie and kept on trucking. i was mortified....one of our psychometricians also does that, he is an older man with a cane but still....he just walks out the restroom with out even a glance at the sinks...eesh, i am getting sick just thinking of it....

Yeeww. I'm so squeemish that ...

Just reading these posts make me want to wash my hands!!

I'm the same way. When I wash my hands in the men's room, I turn the faucet ON and OFF with a paper towel. And I find a way to somehow use my clothes to open the door out of the rest room.

There - beat that!!

Brought to you by the OCD-OCD (Organization of Competitive Disorderly Obsessive Compulsive Disorderlies)
    You can always take a hanky to open bathroom doors.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I do the same thing. What I also hate is when you learn after touching the faucet that, there is no soap. Yeah, my friends and workers call me " Monk " .

I preach to my daughters 8 and 5 about washing their hands before dinner, lunch or anytime they touch food. I also get on them for playing with the rabbits and washing their hands before they touch anything. All those rabbits do is wiz on theirselves and each other. One day I'm telling my kids, " always wash your hands when you come home from school, wash yours hands after you blow your nose, etc be clean. " My wife interupts and said, " be clean, be OCD, be your father. "
    I know I drive them nuts but I can't help it.

Oh yeah, my brother is pretty much like me when it comes to this stuff. When we were kids they used to call us, Spic and Span.
    My wife thinks I have a problem myself. I'm like woman...I just know what this stuff can do to you...lol. We have a rule in our house. Keep your hands out of your nose, eyes and mouth. Wash your hands before every meal and when you come in from outdoors.

I don't believe that to be OCD...merely educated and aware. But, hey maybe I'm Monk as well.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

And just a question for you guys. Which is dirtier...your own penis...or those bathroom sinks? Hand gel is a wonderful thing.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Many bathrooms now have a garbage can near the door so you can use paper toweling to open the door and then chuck it in the garbage once the door is open.

But if they only have the hand dryers then you're screwed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Speaking of hand dryers, how about those new-fangled models that seem to have jet engines in them? When you try to dry off the back of your hand, your skin moves as if you had just jumped out of an airplane and are in complete freefall.

What happened to the good ol' "Push Button, Receive Bacon" models?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.