Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Larry Johnson (Chiefs) suspended until 11/09 for gay slurs

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Larry Johnson (Chiefs) suspended until 11/09 for gay slurs

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    it depends what i was famours for! lol.
    I can't believe that it's even LEGAL for the team to fine him two games pay.
    yea, he's an idiot... so? I wouldn't want him on my team, and honestly what he says has little to do with it (in this regard). it's amazing to me that RAY RAY and Leonard Little are involved in the death of a person and they don't get nearly as much media coverage and negative bias towards them as LJ is for this.
    damn hippies.
    I have to agree with Birt on this. You don't have to like a guys opinion but you do have to respect his right to express it. That IS what free speech is all about. I did find it interesting that they were able to suspend him for it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't like what he said and think he's all the more ignorant for saying it but if you don't like what he said then ignore it and if you have kids then teach them why you think it is wrong.

I also agree with Birt on how we go over the top on certain issues and others that you would think would be more important we sweep under the rug. For example, we vilefy a guy for his cruelty towards dogs (Michael Vick) yet nobody says a word about a guy constantly knocking his wife around (Warren Moon) and still considers him a role model. The Leonard Little situation is another good example. I mean the guy killed a PERSON yet nobody picketts the games he plays in. Are dogs more important than people?

What you can take about Larry Johnsons statements is he doesn't like gays. Big deal ... I don't like Ravens.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Free speech protection doesn't apply to private institutions. The NFL and the Chiefs, LJ's employer, is free to impose whatever rules they want.

I do agree, though -- the silence on domestic abusers and drunk drivers speaks volumes about the league and its fans...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    Free speech protection doesn't apply to private institutions. The NFL and the Chiefs, LJ's employer, is free to impose whatever rules they want.

I do agree, though -- the silence on domestic abusers and drunk drivers speaks volumes about the league and its fans...
    I do think Goodell has been making an effort to crack down on such things, though. Remember, when Moon came into the league, Rozelle was commissioner. When Little came into the league, Tagliabue was commissioner. In stark contrast to the Leonard Little situation, when a drunk driving Donte Stallworth killed someone earlier this year, the league came down hard, even when the justice system did not.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel

I don't think it's that easy to take away the free speech protection just because they are a private institution. I need to spend another night in the Holiday Inn Express so that I can figure this out.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like to see the NFL suspend players for cursing.

You could argue that the F&^! word is demeaning to women and there's more women than gays in the world. And there are probably more women fans than gay fans that watch football.

Or is the NFL misogynist?

The F@%%)t word usually denotes a male.

Would he have been suspended for calling someone a D&*^? (the female version of F@%%)t)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelernation77
    well, i would never survive in the NFL. I'm the most NON PC person in the entire world. PC PIZZES ME OFF!
    Well at the risk of not being "PC" I'm going to go ahead and say you sound like an effing idiot.
    I'm glad you feel that way. people like you try to guilt trip people into giving up their right to free speech.
    i say what i mean and mean what i say and if it hurts your feelings to bad. i don't care. you think i sound like an idiot, so be it.
    I'm not gonna argue with you. now if you ever want to say something to my face. i'll post my address and you can come by any time you want.
    I'm confused... You scream about free speech and pc nuts but then threaten a guy when he does what you praised as being un-pc
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LJ is an idiot. he should know better than to make slurs like that to the media. i hate pc bs more than anyone and i believe anyone has the right to speak there mind, however when you start throwing faggot out there you have to face what comes after that. what if it wasnt a slur against a sexual orientation. what if it was a race slur? then its a different story. i hate it when people justify gay slurs but if it was their race or sexual orientation they would be offended. the point is if its offensive towards ANYONE its not cool. what if he said i dont want to talk to you crackers? im sure a lot of people would be pissed off and rightfully so. personally i think gay men are disgusting, but i dont hate them. its just gross

Legend

User Info Menu

It isn't against gay people! It's against annoyingly loud Harley riders! (for those of you that saw South Park this week)

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

people deserve more respect than what he gave those guys. if they were fags and he called them fags, i would see no problem with that.

L J is a headache and i wouldn't want him on our team but not to hash it out, the rooneys would never allow it. moot point.

is their enough screw ups like L J , T O, and other head cases to create their own team or almost a full playing roster ? you can't use the bengals team, too easy.

HardlinerKC

Just saw this thread so, of course, I have to weigh in with some comments. Larry has been an enigma for the Chiefs almost from the first day in walked on campus back in 2003. He's had a checkered history of bad behavior off the field and in the locker room.

He pouted and bad mouthed the coaching decisions of Vermeil which led to Vermeil's famous "Take the diapers off" comment directed toward LJ. Significant, because Vermeil never criticized any of his players in the press, at least during his time in KC but Larry brought out the worst in him.

Larry has never been a team guy. He's a poor pass blocker and, in my view, has lost some explosiveness at the point of attack. Used to be that he could take the handoff, plant a leg, push off and get into the secondary. No more.

He's more than worn out his welcome with the Chiefs, wants out of town and off the team (He's hardly alone on that front but is one of few who has stated it publicly), and the quandry for the front office is not allowing him an easy way out lest it sets a precedent for other players that bad behavior can be rewarded.

And then, LJ is less than 100 rushing yards away from a team record set by Priest Holmes. So what to do? I think they'll ultimately keep him on the 53, seldom dress him but pay his game checks, in effect quarantine him from the team and trade him in the off-season for a bag of balls and some used jerseys, if you know what I mean?

A sad conclusion to a once meteoric rising star for a couple of seasons back in 2005-06.