Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye - Week Discussion: A Black and Gold Superbowl 44

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Bye - Week Discussion: A Black and Gold Superbowl 44

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Agreed on the Saints. Not so sure on the Steelers. As much as I would love to believe it, I think we are all seeing problems on D.
    Can you point to any D in the league this season that is dominating in every aspect of the game? The rules continue to change to favor the offense. The Brady rule is the latest in a long line of rules designed to give the offense an advantage.

What you saw in the 4th qtr of the Vikings game was reminiscent of what we saw from our D last season.

I don't recall who started the prediction thread so I don't know where to dig it up, but my prediction was a Steelers/Saints match up in Miami.

I agree with you to a great extent. The rules are handcuffing D to promote scoring because that apparently sells, allowing the league to create its own "super heros." I don't think there is a D that is dominating every aspect. I think several Ds are clearly better than ours (right now) ...

DEN
    MIN
    IND
    NE
    NYJ
    GB

I think several other Ds could have an argument for being about the same or slightly better.

Our D is apparently dominant for 3 quarters. It's that 4th quarter that is very concerning to me as we have consistently given up either long drives, game winning drives, or quick scores:

CHI (gave up the drive for the GW FG)
    CIN (gave up the drive for the GW TD)
    DET (allowed them to about the 20, then sack-sack-sack)
    SD (I believe we gave up 2 very quick scores not counting the PR debacle)
    MIN (gave them 2 drives inside the 20 ... I won't count the last one, garbage time)

In two of the above 5, the D came up big despite giving some ground (DET, MIN). I'm not comfortable with 40%, especially playing playoff teams with playoff focus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    A Super Bowl betweeen two fat striped teams. Saints have as good as chance as any but who knows what team will be the dark horse at the end of the season ?

If the Steelers can get things in gear ( i think they will ) then, we have a chance. I think there are more talented teams this season than last. Bengals look good, Ravens look good, Colts are on a roll and the NFL wants and is trying its best to have the patriots win it all.

All you need to do in the NFC is win to get to the Super Bowl. All you have to do in the AFC is figure out how to beat the refs in a game against the Cheaters. The Brady rule will get the Cheaters far.

I cannot recall the *s ever getting a favorable call in the playoffs...cough, cough TUCK RULE, cough.....

Legend

User Info Menu

I have to disagree with your list. All of those defenses have issues as well.

Every defense does this year. There is no clear cut best D out there.

So if our D plays their game and the O doesn't take the foot off the gas we are as good as any team in the league.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I do want to say that we are a "Woodley wake up from sleep" away from being dominant for four quarters. He got a "look what I found" gift on Sunday, but did very well with his handling of that gift. Hopefully that will get him started.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed on the Saints. Not so sure on the Steelers. As much as I would love to believe it, I think we are all seeing problems on D.
    Can you point to any D in the league this season that is dominating in every aspect of the game? The rules continue to change to favor the offense. The Brady rule is the latest in a long line of rules designed to give the offense an advantage.

What you saw in the 4th qtr of the Vikings game was reminiscent of what we saw from our D last season.

I don't recall who started the prediction thread so I don't know where to dig it up, but my prediction was a Steelers/Saints match up in Miami.

I agree with you to a great extent. The rules are handcuffing D to promote scoring because that apparently sells, allowing the league to create its own "super heros." I don't think there is a D that is dominating every aspect. I think several Ds are clearly better than ours (right now) ...

DEN
    MIN
    IND
    NE
    NYJ
    GB

I think several other Ds could have an argument for being about the same or slightly better.

Our D is apparently dominant for 3 quarters. It's that 4th quarter that is very concerning to me as we have consistently given up either long drives, game winning drives, or quick scores:

CHI (gave up the drive for the GW FG)
    CIN (gave up the drive for the GW TD)
    DET (allowed them to about the 20, then sack-sack-sack)
    SD (I believe we gave up 2 very quick scores not counting the PR debacle)
    MIN (gave them 2 drives inside the 20 ... I won't count the last one, garbage time)

In two of the above 5, the D came up big despite giving some ground (DET, MIN). I'm not comfortable with 40%, especially playing playoff teams with playoff focus.

Not so sure I agree with you on your statement about those D's you have listed above as better than ours. GB? NE? IND? MINN?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So if our D plays their game and the O doesn't take the foot off the gas we are as good as any team in the league.
    I put MIN in that list mistakenly. Other than that, every single team in that list has given up less than we have. We have given up 128 points (35 on INTs and STs)

Denver 66 (in 6 games ... extrapolate out to 77)
    IND 77 (6 games ... 89.3 pace for 7 games)
    NE 98 (7 games)
    NYJ 104 (7 games) How'd this D fair against the best O in the league, New Orl?
    GB 96 (6 games ... 122 pace for 7 games)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

By the way, MIN has given up 148 points. However, they have given up ...

PR for TD (Josh Cribbs)
    TD to Browns (in total garbage time)
    Blocked Punt returned for TD (SF)
    AP fumble returned for TD (GB)
    TD to Rams (in total garbage time up 31-3 late in the game)
    2 TDs to Steelers (fumble returned and INT returned)

That's 49 points. Meaning that their D gave up 113 total points (148 - 49 + 14 from garbage time TDs), 99 meaningful points. Our D has given up 93 points (all meaningful). This makes them about equal to our D. So, I would say MIN at least belongs in the "arguably about equal" list.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I put MIN in that list mistakenly. Other than that, every single team in that list has given up less than we have. We have given up 128 points (28 on INTs and STs)

Denver 66 (in 6 games ... extrapolate out to 77)
    IND 77 (6 games ... 89.3 pace for 7 games)

NE 98 (7 games)
    NYJ 104 (7 games) How'd this D fair against the best O in the league, New Orl?
    GB 96 (6 games ... 122 pace for 7 games)

the colts have looked good but i want to see them play a tough physical game before I put them up there, they got destroyed by the dolphins, but peyton was on his game that night, they had 15 minutes on offense, it was something like 44:50 seconds to 15:10...the broncos have been impressive, i will give it to them, well see how they do the next two weeks, but i still have hope that we are in the mix with 2 or 3 teams in the afc....not that surprising

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    The Saints are going to have a tough time getting past the Eagles, Minny, and AZ come playoff time. I'm not sold on the Saints.
    They look tough. They have a potent offense and a effective and scoring D. I am sold. How can one not be?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I saw the Saints battle a hostile opposing crowd and come back from a 24-3 deficit while overcoming turnovers. Their free-agent acquisition in Sharper, leads the league in INTs with 6 in as many games. They're #11 in total defense.... and that's plenty good when you have an offense rated #1 in pts. per game, yards per game, and total points scored. I'm sold... this team will be representing the NFC in this year.