Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How impressive has Mike Wallace's rookie season been so far?

Legend

User Info Menu

How impressive has Mike Wallace's rookie season been so far?

Wallace is ranked #25 in the league among WR's in terms of receiving yards. Although he is our THIRD WR, he has more yards than the FIRST WR for 13 teams (Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Browns, Titans, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Lions, Panthers, Buccanneers, Niners, and Rams).

Our third round pick has more receiving yards this season than celebrated veteran wideouts such as Jerricho Cotchery, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Steve Smith (CAR), Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Lee Evans, Dwayne Bowe, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Laveranues Coles, Eddie Royal...and Nate Washington. Who said that we don't do a good job getting rookies involved?

His 21 catches for 368 yards (17.5 ypc average) and 2 TD's plus 3 carries for another 40 yards should put him in the lead for the NFL offensive rookie of the year (not merely the Joe Greene Award for the Steelers rookie of the year) at this point.

The challengers:

Percy Harvin (MIN) 23 catches for 285 yards (12.4 ypc) and 2 TD's plus 7 carries for 37 yards (and although special teams stats theoretically should not be taken into account for the offensive rookie of the year award, his 23 kick returns for 685 yards and 2 TD's will likely sway some voters in his direction)

Knowshon Moreno (DEN) 99 carries for 381 yards (3.8 avg) and 1 TD plus 9 catches for 68 yards (7.6 ypc) and 1 TD

Johnny Knox (CHI) 21 catches for 266 yards (12.7 ypc) and 3 TD's
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: How impressive has Mike Wallace's rookie season been so far?

I think Percy Harvin wins it, even if his stats are less than Wallace's. He's too visible and makes huge plays.

Also, don't discount Sanchez from winning it if he leads his team into the Playoffs.

-Russ

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Wallace is ranked #25 in the league among WR's in terms of receiving yards. Although he is our THIRD WR, he has more yards than the FIRST WR for 13 teams (Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Browns, Titans, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Lions, Panthers, Buccanneers, Niners, and Rams).

Our third round pick has more receiving yards this season than celebrated veteran wideouts such as Jerricho Cotchery, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Steve Smith (CAR), Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Lee Evans, Dwayne Bowe, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Laveranues Coles, Eddie Royal...and Nate Washington. Who said that we don't do a good job getting rookies involved?

His 21 catches for 368 yards (17.5 ypc average) and 2 TD's plus 3 carries for another 40 yards should put him in the lead for the NFL offensive rookie of the year (not merely the Joe Greene Award for the Steelers rookie of the year) at this point.

The challengers:

Percy Harvin (MIN) 23 catches for 285 yards (12.4 ypc) and 2 TD's plus 7 carries for 37 yards (and although special teams stats theoretically should not be taken into account for the offensive rookie of the year award, his 23 kick returns for 685 yards and 2 TD's will likely sway some voters in his direction)

Knowshon Moreno (DEN) 99 carries for 381 yards (3.8 avg) and 1 TD plus 9 catches for 68 yards (7.6 ypc) and 1 TD

Johnny Knox (CHI) 21 catches for 266 yards (12.7 ypc) and 3 TD's
    I find it hard to believe that Wallace is doing better than the Great Nate Washington. IIRC it was widely reported on our forum that our odffense would take a step backward when he left.

BTW, how is the offense that Nate is now part of doing this year? I haven't been following them.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hakeem Nicks will be in the mix as well: 16 rec, 315 yards and 4 TD's.

Considering he missed two games due to injury those numbers compare favorably towards the others.

Percy Harvin and Mike Wallace right now though would be my top 2. I loved Mike Wallace and Mike Thomas (WR - Jags) coming out of the draft. Sucks that you guys got one of them...

Legend

User Info Menu

Michael Oher has also been impressive for the but they aren't going to give an offensive rookie of the year award to a lineman. I really wanted to trade up for this guy when he fell into the 20's, and he's helped contribute to a resurgent offense in Baltimore. On a somewhat related side note, I saw a commercial for The Blind Side movie this week, and I did not realize that Sandra Bullock was signed on to play his adoptive mother.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bustallace!

I'm kidding of course. The kid has everything you can ask for in a #3 WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's hard for me to put this in words, but when I see Wallace make plays on the field, I get this feeling, "That's a STEELER". He seems to play with all his heart, as well as all his athletic skills. Sort of like Hines, or maybe Rocky Bleier from the old days?

Like I say, it's a hard thing to describe, but I just kind of feel like he's a good guy.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mike has far surpassed any expectations I would have had for him this year. I thought that our draft was more about depth this year and building for the future. I'm glad to see the rook contribute so much so quickly.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He has exceeded expectations. I'm very impressed with his poise and understanding of the offense. It is nice that they picked a humble guy who is willing to work hard and study. By late this season or early next season, he'll be ready to spot start if we need him. That is a nice luxury to have.

I'd love to see them work Logan in as a slot receiver more. 1-3 touches a game from him on bubble screens, slants, etc. would be nice.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    He has exceeded expectations. I'm very impressed with his poise and understanding of the offense. It is nice that they picked a humble guy who is willing to work hard and study. By late this season or early next season, he'll be ready to spot start if we need him. That is a nice luxury to have.

I'd love to see them work Logan in as a slot receiver more. 1-3 touches a game from him on bubble screens, slants, etc. would be nice.
    Honestly,

Why cant they use him as a Welker out in space? Did anyone see this guy in Canada play? Maybe he has questionablee hands. Even an inside screen where he would get lost.

I know, I know I am

1) not in the huddle
    2) in the team gameplan meetings
    3) at practice
    4) in BA's mad scientist mind

Nice breakdown Ruthless. I hope Holmes does not turn into a TO type and stays unselfish. How sweet would it be to have the third WR @ 800+ yards and 6+ TD's in his rookie season.