Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 6 Browns

Backup

User Info Menu

Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 6 Browns

1. Walked in at 1:07 left in 1st quarter to see Josh Cribbs throw a pick to Polamalu. I can’t blame the Browns for wanting to use Cribbs more. He’s their only weapon. But the Wildcat is never going to be anything more than a gimmick.

2. Again it appears that there is a renewed commitment to get the ball to Heath Miller.

3. Kudos to Holmes making that move inside in the first quarter on that long catch and run. YAC is where it’s at.

4. And at times it almost appeared that the Oline has learned how to block defenders. Fantastic protection on Miller’s 1st TD.

5. The Steelers were making it look easy. As if to emphasize that point Ward skipped across the goal line on his TD. But let’s not lose our heads, it is the Browns after all.

6. As if to emphasize that point … Cribbs takes it to the house to keep it interesting. The Steeler’s special teams suck.

7. QB sneak on 4th and 1 just before the half. And the Steelers don’t get it … or did they? What just happened?

8. That was a less than thrilling end to the first half. Crappy series that led to the Steelers settling for a field goal in which Ben almost throws a pick. At times it seems like the Steelers are an unstoppable force utilizing their tools and weapons to their fullest potential. At other times they appear to be the Marx Brothers.

9. The Browns came out and drove for an easy TD against no pass rush. All of a sudden the Browns have an effective offense?

10. Big props to Wallace running hard on the 21 yard end-around in third quarter. Again, YAC is where it’s at!

11. On the Browns responding drive it was three and out. You’ll notice that Anderson had a defensive player in his face on 3rd down and the Browns were unable to convert. I wonder if those to factors can be directly correlated.

12. With 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter Ben checks down to Mendenhall and Medenhall picks up some yards and remembers to stay in bounds.

13. Ben throws a pick.

14. And the defense steps up and makes Anderson put the ball on the ground.

15. Parker looks feeble on the next catch … And then he puts it on the ground.

16. And the defense takes it back when Brent Keisel picks up Anderson’s second fumble. This is a sloppy game.

17. And then Mendenhall fumbles. You could see it coming by the way he was carrying the ball. Why can’t this team get it together and shut another team down? I wonder what Ben looks like in a Groucho glasses and mustache mask.

18. DJ Hero is coming out … so this is what it sounds like when doves jump the shark.

19. If this was any team other than the Browns I’d be worried … or more worried I should say … So I guess I can be worried next week. Gads the game clock is moving slowly today.

20. Anyone seen Limas Sweed?

21. Props where props are due: The offense dug themselves out of a hole after Ryan Clark’s pick on the 1 yard line. That was a good thing far beyond the abilities of the Marx Brothers.

22. At the 2 minute warning the offense folded up. That was too bad. Ben should hang another 7 on them.

23. Does anyone have faith in this team? This game should have resembled the Pats-Oilers game. The Browns are terrible. The only reasonable conclusion one can take away from this game is that the Steelers are slightly above average.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 6 Browns

not bad. i like the marx brothers reference. why do we have drives of brilliance and then follow them up with not only mistakes, but ridiculous mistakes this year? oh, sweed was inactive.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

On # 23: 23. Does anyone have faith in this team? This game should have resembled the Pats-Oilers game. The Browns are terrible. The only reasonable conclusion one can take away from this game is that the Steelers are slightly above average.

My conclusion is that the team plays down to the competition.
    I have seen Pitt Panther teams do this for years(beat great teams and lose to scrubs)

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    not bad. i like the marx brothers reference.
    I was channeling Henry Jones Senior ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    why do we have drives of brilliance and then follow them up with not only mistakes, but ridiculous mistakes this year? oh, sweed was inactive.

Consistency, the Steelers lack it. They don't even consistently stink on Special Teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great post, as always. I'm glad to see the return of Redundant Thoughts -- I always look forward to reading this the day after a game.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PlayForBlood
    On # 23: 23. Does anyone have faith in this team? This game should have resembled the Pats-Oilers game. The Browns are terrible. The only reasonable conclusion one can take away from this game is that the Steelers are slightly above average.

My conclusion is that the team plays down to the competition.
    I have seen Pitt Panther teams do this for years(beat great teams and lose to scrubs)
    But they didn't last year did they? That's what is confusing me.

Legend

User Info Menu

1. But the Wildcat is never going to be anything more than a gimmick.

The Jets would argue this with you. And the browns fail at vanilla O. Not sure why they think they can get crazy.

9. The Browns came out and drove for an easy TD against no pass rush. All of a sudden the Browns have an effective offense?

Absurd how easy the Browns made that drive look. Thank goodness it was the last time. Why is third and long so hard to defend?

19. If this was any team other than the Browns I’d be worried … or more worried I should say … So I guess I can be worried next week

A stretch of INT, Fumble, Fumble won’t get it done against the Vikings or the Bronco’s after the bye. Be worried.

The Steelers have yet to put forth a complete, 4 quarter game. They are going to need it by all threes phases this coming Sunday.

And after watching Houston beat the Bengal’s, that loss stings a little bit more. I know, look forward. But @#$% that loss stings!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think our D got a little bit lucky. The Stains dropped some easy passes that would have given them 1st downs and Anderson missed some open receivers that also would have moved the chains. I don't know what Ike was doing today but he wasn't covering the receiver.

If they don't tighten up Favre will pick us apart next week.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

What about running a Steelers Wildcat with the same personnel that we use in our 3 WR set? Ward could play the role of an extra TE. Rashard could line up in the backfield with Homes. We line up Ben and Wallace on opposite sides of the field and put either in motion so you've always got a speedy guy running by the QB or vice versa.

Teams would have to put 8 in the box out of their nickle or dime packages because they've gotta worry the Steelers could go 5 wides with these players on the field and get the ball in Ben's hands.

We could also run it no huddle to limit substitutions. Based on personnel on the field, we could let the defensive players that are on the field dictate how we want to attack them.

The key would be our WRs blocking.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Great post, as always. I'm glad to see the return of Redundant Thoughts -- I always look forward to reading this the day after a game.
    Thanks, I'm glad to be back.