Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Real Problem on Defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Real Problem on Defense...

If you believe this poster, our problems on D start with the guy I thought has been the most consistent. But this analysis gives me pause that maybe Farrior's game is slipping this season:

I just watched every snap against the Lions. I did it because I'm tired of people ragging on Timmons and I once again wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Well I was missing something. James Farrior played a rotten FB game. He looks very slow and I'm wondering if all the weight he put on in the offseason has caught up with him. James was a Pro-bowler at sub-220 lbs last year and he entered the 2009 season at 230+ pounds in a effort to absorb the punishment he takes as an ILB. Or is it his age?

Here are my observations. It's not pretty for James and I love the guy! He just wasn't a factor on Sunday. There are a few other notes.

First series for Detroit. 1st down and 10 from the 32 they run at James Farrior and Timmons comes from the opposite side and DRILLS Kevin Smith for a 1 yard gain. Farrior got stuffed by the FB.

Two plays later on 3rd and 5 Timmons has perfect coverage on the TE to force the FG attempt. I know the throw was wide but if it wasn't Timmons makes the tackle before the first down.

Next series it's James Farrior who can't get off the block of the Guard and K. Smith runs for 8 yards. Timmons comes from the other side of the field to make the tackle or it's a bigger gain. Keyaron Fox doesn't have the speed to make that play.

Two plays later they again run to Farrior's side and he gets buried at the line of scrimmage. Smith picks up a 1st down on a 4 yard run.

One play later Farrior blitzes and gets stuffed at the LOS.

One play later Farrior gets sucked in and the ball goes over his head to the fullback for a 27 yard gain.

First play of the second half, once again the Lions run right at James Farrior and once again he is taken out of the play by an offensive linemen. Tyrone Carter comes up and makes the play after an 8 yard gain. Troy probably makes that play at the line of scrimmage!

Same series third down and short Timmons has the TE, Farrior has the RB out of the backfield. Easy pitch and catch, Farrior not even close. He gets credited with a tackle because he was the closest guy to Smith when he goes out of bounds.

Same series, third and long Pettigrew gets behind the LB for a first down. Once again, it's Farrior. Clark puts a wallop on him.

1st down Farrior knives through and brings Smith down by his shoelaces. First (true) tackle of the game.

2nd and 20, William Gay makes the play but if you watch Farrior he once again gets manhandled, this time by the Center.

Next series, 1st down Farrior overruns the play, Morris runs right by him, Harrison comes across the field after a 5 yard gain.

After 1st down Farrior once again overruns the play. Hood makes a nice tackle.

Another 1st down, Culpepper goes deep. Gay with PERFECT coverage one-on-one.

Okay haters bad play by Timmons. He can't get off the block of the Tackle and Smith runs by him.

4th quarter. 2nd and 20 Timmons has the FB out of the backfield. Perfect coverage, sure tackle, 3 yard gain.

2nd and 4, Timmons fights through the hold by Morris to pressure Culpepper. Culpepper nearly throws it to Woodley. Now 2nd and 14.

Keiwan Ratliff sucks!!! Every play you watch as he's asking the other DBs what his coverage is. How does a guy play if he doesn't know where he's supposed to be?

3rd and 5, chance to stop the Lions and Ike Taylor hesitates on the corner blitz. So disappointing, Timmons goes to the outside, the RB blocks him and opens up a clear lane for Ike and he stops? If he runs right at Culpepper it's a sack or at the worst he hits him during his throwing motion. Potsie can't make the tackle to prevent the first down.

1st and 10, FB out of the backfield Timmons DRILLS him. This kid can hit. The best part? No celebration. Just back to the huddle.

Northcutt TD. Who gets beat again? Ratliff. Man he blows!!!

1st down, last series Dick Lebeau dials up the exact same corner blitz. This time Timmons goes inside and Ike follows him. JC Ike, pay attention. Both times the Lions had one blocker for two guys and both times Ike just blew it !!!!

Okay Keiwan, nice coverage on 2nd and long. You slightly redeemed yourself when they try the same play they beat you on the first time.

William Gay shows Ike how it's done. Same play on the other side. Timmons goes wide, Gay runs right at Culpepper. He ducks him but Woodley is there to clean up.

Works once, do it again. Pay attention Ike!!

Here's where you need to pay attention. On 3rd and 19 Lawrence Timmons is a full 7 yards off the LOS when the ball is snapped and he takes off like he's shot out of a cannon to sack Culpepper. He wasn't blocked, I get that but that's because he didn't appear to be rushing. I'm not sure if that's how the play is designed or if that was Timmons but either way it was perfect execution. I haven't seen that kind of explosiveness from a Steelers LB since Kendrell Bell (the healthy KB)

the link:

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/17701223[/url]

The interesting thing is there were a LOT of people agreeing with this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: The Real Problem on Defense...

I would agree that Farrior looks to be playing below his typical standard. Don't know if that is because Troy is out and he is being asked to do different things but he doesn't seem to be getting to every tackle like in the past.

Timmons is not the problem on this defense. You just have posters who never liked him singing the same old song to justify their previous opinions. He has been solid against the run, against the pass and rushing the QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

the defense just seems to be on cruise control right now. i'm not sure we are really seeing full effort from the guys right now and on every play. in a way, i'm hoping i'm right. it's a long season and in my opinion the biggest keys to our super bowl runs have been entering the playoffs fresh, healthy and peaking....everyone on the same page. it's early...i'm suspecting that come the latter part of the season this team will be as reckless as ever and at just the right time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Have to say that Farrior atoned pretty nicely in yesterday's game. He made some nice plays in the short passing game and had some good pressures on his blitzing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Have to say that Farrior atoned pretty nicely in yesterday's game. He made some nice plays in the short passing game and had some good pressures on his blitzing.
    Yes he did play well yesterday but he still missed a couple tackles that he normally makes ... he just might be a step slower but he's still a good field general.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

james could never keep up with RBs.

i'm not sure it's much different.

but the steelers may be trying to cope with his weakness by dropping Woodley into coverage more often.

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone else want to think Timmons isn't delivering. The guy is going to be a beast by the time the season is over. He is playing as well as any LB right now--Harrison included.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Timmons definitely played his absolute best game of the season yesterday. I'd imagine that the high-ankle sprain is finally healed up and his explosiveness is coming back. I'd also guess that he's starting to figure out the intricacies of being an every-down backer.

Farrior sees it too:
    "He was very intense," said teammate James Farrior. "He had a good idea of what they were doing, and it showed. That's what we're going to be expecting from him every week."
    Seems like the game is starting to slow a bit for him, and once that happens and you can react instead of over-thinking every play, watch out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

consistency is the key at LB.
    Farrior is aging, but for the most part is consistent in his job. Young guys will have to replace him as a star, but he can be a very good player while being a veteran leader.
    Good player + great leadership = great well rounded player contributing ALOT.

Hines is the same on O.
    Holmes is faster, etc, but far less consistent than Hines. Time will slow down Holmes too and hopefully he'll become more consistent. If not he won't have as long of a tenure as Hines.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Farrior has struggled at times this year. He did play well in the rush game yesterday but I also saw him over run a few plays in the wildcat and give the Browns some creases. I think the extra weight may be causing him some issue like another poster said or maybe it's just age, not really sure but the team is going to have to start looking for his eventual replacement sooner as opposed to later.

Timmons was a beast yesterday. I told my buddy that he was reminding me of the way that Kendrell Bell played his rookie year. He and Jimmy Hate are playing very well right now. Lamarr looked like he played a pretty good game too but we are just not seeing the pass rush from him that I thought we would. I think there may actually be something wrong with him physically because he doesn't seem to have the same explosiveness.

Just my thoughts.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>