Thread: Bad practices cut down Mendenhall's time

Legend

User Info Menu

Bad practices cut down Mendenhall's time

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, September 28, 2009
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645340.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 45340.html[/url]

Willie Parker rushed for 53 of his game-high 93 yards in the first quarter Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium. But a fast start by Parker wasn't the reason why backup Rashard Mendenhall played only on special teams in the Steelers' 23-20 loss to the Bengals.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Mendenhall didn't have a good week of practice.

"Rashard wasn't on the detail (last) week," Tomlin said, "so I chose not to play him on offense."

Mendenhall, the Steelers' first-round pick in the 2008 draft, had a career-long run of 39 yards against the Bears on Sept. 20. The bad practice week allowed Parker to establish season highs in carries (25) and yards.

"The offensive line did a great job," Parker said. "They played with attitude all game. It feels kind of sour that we didn't come out of it with a win."

• Hines Ward became the first Steelers player to go over 10,000 receiving yards in his career. Mike Wallace, meanwhile, became the first rookie to have a 100-yard receiving game since 2006, when Santonio Holmes did it in the regular-season finale at Cincinnati. Neither were celebrating in a quiet Steelers locker room after they had accomplished their respective feats.

"Right now, the individual goal is nothing to me," Ward said. "Finishing (as) Super Bowl champions and starting 1-2 is not how we envisioned starting."

• Missed opportunities contributed to the Steelers' first loss in Cincinnati since 2001, and a 51-yard catch by Wallace in the second quarter could have gone for a touchdown. But Wallace, who had badly beaten cornerback Johnathan Joseph on a fly pattern, let his momentum carry him too far toward the right sideline. He went out of bounds at the Bengals' 10-yard line. The Steelers settled for a 24-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

"I was looking up at the ball and my body was kind of taking me to the side," Wallace said. "I've got to know where I'm at on the field."

• The Bengals didn't score until the end of the first half, and their initial scoring drive may have been aided by the Steelers. With his team leading, 13-0, and 1:15 left in the second quarter, Tomlin opted to go for it on fourth-and-4 from the Bengals' 35-yard line. The Steelers didn't convert, and Carson Palmer put together a seven-play drive that Shayne Graham capped with a 34-yard field goal.

"We thought we had an opportunity to get a first down and potentially a touchdown," Tomlin said. "We were on the outermost edge of what was comfortable field-goal range."

• Steelers tight end David Johnson, who also lines up at fullback, left yesterday's game in the first quarter and did not return. The Steelers used Johnson in the backfield in place of rookie fullback Frank Summers, who did not dress for the game.

• Joining Summers on the inactive list were strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee injury), cornerback Keenan Lewis, defensive end Nick Eason, wide receiver Shaun McDonald, guard Kraig Urbik, offensive tackle Tony Hills and Dennis Dixon (third quarterback).

• Tyrone Carter started his second consecutive game for the injured Polamalu and recorded three tackles.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Bad practices cut down Mendenhall's time

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, September 28, 2009
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645340.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 45340.html[/url]

Willie Parker rushed for 53 of his game-high 93 yards in the first quarter Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium. But a fast start by Parker wasn't the reason why backup Rashard Mendenhall played only on special teams in the Steelers' 23-20 loss to the Bengals.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Mendenhall didn't have a good week of practice.

"Rashard wasn't on the detail (last) week," Tomlin said, "so I chose not to play him on offense."

Mendenhall, the Steelers' first-round pick in the 2008 draft, had a career-long run of 39 yards against the Bears on Sept. 20. The bad practice week allowed Parker to establish season highs in carries (25) and yards.

"The offensive line did a great job," Parker said. "They played with attitude all game. It feels kind of sour that we didn't come out of it with a win."

• Hines Ward became the first Steelers player to go over 10,000 receiving yards in his career. Mike Wallace, meanwhile, became the first rookie to have a 100-yard receiving game since 2006, when Santonio Holmes did it in the regular-season finale at Cincinnati. Neither were celebrating in a quiet Steelers locker room after they had accomplished their respective feats.

"Right now, the individual goal is nothing to me," Ward said. "Finishing (as) Super Bowl champions and starting 1-2 is not how we envisioned starting."

• Missed opportunities contributed to the Steelers' first loss in Cincinnati since 2001, and a 51-yard catch by Wallace in the second quarter could have gone for a touchdown. But Wallace, who had badly beaten cornerback Johnathan Joseph on a fly pattern, let his momentum carry him too far toward the right sideline. He went out of bounds at the Bengals' 10-yard line. The Steelers settled for a 24-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

"I was looking up at the ball and my body was kind of taking me to the side," Wallace said. "I've got to know where I'm at on the field."

Love this kid and he will only get better. Keep him in the game even if he is a decoy to pull coverage.

• The Bengals didn't score until the end of the first half, and their initial scoring drive may have been aided by the Steelers. With his team leading, 13-0, and 1:15 left in the second quarter, Tomlin opted to go for it on fourth-and-4 from the Bengals' 35-yard line. The Steelers didn't convert, and Carson Palmer put together a seven-play drive that Shayne Graham capped with a 34-yard field goal.

"We thought we had an opportunity to get a first down and potentially a touchdown," Tomlin said. "We were on the outermost edge of what was comfortable field-goal range."

Wow...don't know what to think here. They were on the outer edge of field goal range that time but then go for an even longer field goal later. This was not one of Tomlin's better games. He is a great thinker, but sometimes I think he overthinks things.

• Steelers tight end David Johnson, who also lines up at fullback, left yesterday's game in the first quarter and did not return. The Steelers used Johnson in the backfield in place of rookie fullback Frank Summers, who did not dress for the game.

• Joining Summers on the inactive list were strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee injury), cornerback Keenan Lewis, defensive end Nick Eason, wide receiver Shaun McDonald, guard Kraig Urbik, offensive tackle Tony Hills and Dennis Dixon (third quarterback).

• Tyrone Carter started his second consecutive game for the injured Polamalu and recorded three tackles.

Backup

User Info Menu

Than why even dress him ? If you want to send a message deactivate him and let Redman dress. It would seem like the perfect situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rodisgod
    Than why even dress him ? If you want to send a message deactivate him and let Redman dress. It would seem like the perfect situation.
    Dressing him means calling him up from the PS. Once called up he can't be put back on. He is either on the roster or cut. And whoever takes his place on the PS is able to be taken by any team, iir the rule correctly.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People (on here) overlook this aspect of it; Mendenhall hasn't gotten any burn cuz he hasn't shown anything to make the coaches put him on the field.

Back in the day when FWP was an unknown, he would bust big runs and make people notice--Stefan Logan was another example. Mendenhall, all he has going for him besides his Greek god-like body, is his 1st round draft status. He has never shown himself to be anything (yet).
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    People (on here) overlook this aspect of it; Mendenhall hasn't gotten any burn cuz he hasn't shown anything to make the coaches put him on the field.

Back in the day when FWP was an unknown, he would bust big runs and make people notice--Stefan Logan was another example. Mendenhall, all he has going for him besides his Greek god-like body, is his 1st round draft status. He has never shown himself to be anything (yet).
    Man crush? :P

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by rodisgod
    Dressing him means calling him up from the PS. Once called up he can't be put back on. He is either on the roster or cut. And whoever takes his place on the PS is able to be taken by any team, iir the rule correctly.
    I could be wrong but I thought if he's called up and then released again,all he has to do is clear wavers then he can be signed to PS again. I'm not sure on that but that's how i always understood it.