Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Jeff Reed a Steeler after this season?

Is Jeff Reed a Steeler after this season?

Is Jeff Reed a Steeler after this season?
    Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09266/1000270-367.stm

Q: Is there any way the Steelers keep Jeff Reed after this year? It has nothing to do with his recent performance but the fact that they seem to have a certain price they will pay for a kicker and not a penny more. If they let Hall-of-Famer Gary Anderson walk over money, why wouldn't they do the same for Reed?

Mitch Molinaro, Fort Mitchell, Ala.

BOUCHETTE: I believe their low-ball offer to him several days before the start of the season showed that they do not intend to make him a much higher offer, and if he does not accept it, he will move on. I think they made him an offer they knew he could not accept, which is another sign that there will be nothing more concrete coming after the season. And I do not think Gary Anderson will make the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There is only one pure kicker in there, Jan Stenerud, and no other has gained much support through the years. Anderson no longer leads the NFL in scoring and missed the biggest kick of his career that would have put the Minnesota Vikings in the Super Bowl.
    First published on September 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09266/10 ... z0RwatBbGF

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Is Jeff Reed a Steeler after this season?

I disagree with Bouchette here. Unless he continues to kick like he did last week, my guess is that the FO hits him with the franchise tag in the offseason.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I disagree with Bouchette here. Unless he continues to kick like he did last week, my guess is that the FO hits him with the franchise tag in the offseason.
    I agree but Reed has to feel a little nervous now that he rejected that contract offer. He probably has a little more to think about than he really wants. I'm sure the offer he was given would have made him a multi-millionaire several time over.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler

what is up with reed this season so far.....he just about hit our lineman in the head on the game tying field goal against tennessee and than this past week he blew.....what bothers me most about this week and his 2 misses is that they were the same end and both were within his range and he missed the first one way left and the second one was....WAY LEFT..like i tell my students and players, i dont mind mistakes, but you better fix the mistakes you make and adjust to them, reed did nothing to adjust to that second kick and that is what angered me most...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Here are the salaries for the top 10 kickers/punters in the league last season...they are grouped together by the NFL for franchise/transition tag purposes (Jeff's salary was already 9th in the league overall).

Sebastian Janikowski $3,010,000
    Robbie Gould $2,520,000
    Adam Vinatieri $2,350,000
    John Kasay $2,300,000
    Brian Moorman $2,236,428
    Ryan Longwell $2,220,000
    Craig Hentrich $2,083,750
    Jason Hanson $2,080,000
    Jeff Reed $1,958,333
    Shane Lechler $1,882,858

If you wanted to give a kicker or punter the franchise tag for this season, you would have had to pay him the average of the top 5 from the list above ($2.48 million). If you wanted to give him the transition tag, it would be the average of the top 10 ($2.26 million). Those franchise/transition numbers may go up next year, but not by much, I wouldn't think. I think it is worth a half-million dollar raise (or so) to franchise Jeff and keep him around for another year (and hopefully try to work out a long term deal with him next offseason like with did with the franchised-tagged Max Starks this past offseason).

Hall of Famer

Love the Jeff Reed. Still, he doesn't kick off all that well. If he continues to miss FGs this year, it may be easy to let him go instead of paying him 2.5 mil per season.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Love the Jeff Reed. Still, he doesn't kick off all that well. If he continues to miss FGs this year, it may be easy to let him go instead of paying him 2.5 mil per season.
    I don't love him--but I like him a lot
    And I agree that I am a bit concerned with him, given his "shaky" start. One thing I wonder about is how his lifestyle plays into his preparation. I see pictures of him all the time, wasted, in a bar, etc. And believe me--I'm no prude when it comes to that kind of thing. But you wonder if maybe it (eventually) has an effect on his on-field game.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Hall of Famer

jeff reed is a very good kicker. he is always money except of course last sunday, but they shouldnt go crazy to try and re-sign him. he doesnt deserve to be the highest paid kicker or anything so if he doesnt accept a resonable offer then let him walk. i know heinz is a tough place to kick but how hard is it to find a kicker?

I think the team is crazy not to franchise Skippy.

Heinz isn't a good place for kickers, but he's been solid for us. Tag him, see if he will sign a long-term deal, and begin grooming his replacement.

I do not want to see us just try and plug someone in. I've seen enough "short-term fixes" in Berger and Ernster to know that we must have someone ready to replace Reed.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

How good are the Steelers going if our biggest concern is who our kicker will be in 2011?

Chadman's thoughts- while Reed has been great for a number of years, that salary number is creeping up. With so few holes in this team, a mid-round draft selection on a kicker next draft might be a viable, and cost-effective, option.

Reed for $1.5 million (or thereabouts, let's say) or a rookie kicker (5th round?) for $400k a season? Will there be THAT much of a difference in the results?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00