Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin spent time studying offenses, likes Pats offense

Tomlin spent time studying offenses, likes Pats offense

by Ed Bouchette

Mike Tomlin spent time between the Super Bowl and training camp studying offenses in the NFL and found one he would like the Steelers to emulate: the New England Patriots.

"I think the great teams are capable of winning in many forms or fashion and playing to their strengths on a week-to-week basis based on a matchup," Tomlin said yesterday. "I thought a great deal about that, frankly, this offseason.

"You study a team like New England, and they walk into a stadium offensively, and week to week they can be whatever they choose to be. They can beat you in three wides, four wides, three tight ends, and it makes them very difficult to prepare for and ultimately beat."

Who wouldn't want to have an offense like that? The last time the Patriots went through a season with Tom Brady at quarterback (2007), they scored 589 points, an average of 36.8 per game when they went 18-0 right up until the New York Giants upset them in Super Bowl XLII.

Brady threw 50 touchdown passes and for 4,806 yards, and the Patriots scored 17 more touchdowns rushing with 1,849 yards on the ground that season.

The Steelers' offense has a long way to go to reach those proportions, but it does not mean Tomlin and coordinator Bruce Arians cannot aspire to it.

"We've got a desire to win a bunch of games," Tomlin said. "We've got a bunch of guys capable of making plays. We've got three and four wideouts that we're comfortable with, two and three tight ends that we're comfortable with, two or three backs that we're comfortable with. We want to create that same persona."

The Steelers have not accomplished that goal on offense after two games. They rank in the middle of the pack in the NFL (16th) in total yards and 29th in total points (27).

They also have not struck the kind of balance Tomlin would like to see them achieve. They average 262 yards passing per game and just 70.5 rushing. They have attempted 84 passes (six resulting in sacks) and 45 runs, three of them scrambles by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

But it's early.

"I think two weeks in is too early to place a persona on anyone," Tomlin stated. "I think over time it will become obvious what we are, and we're not interested in giving anybody a heads up. ...

"You can't truly be successful unless you have some form of balance. Ultimately, though, we're interested in winning football games."

Holmes wears cast

Tomlin did not mention Santonio Holmes among the injured at his news conference, but the NFL's second-leading receiver was spotted wearing some kind of small cast on his left wrist at the Steelers' headquarters yesterday.

It might be merely something to keep the wrist stabilized for a few days, but it is notable. Monday, Holmes wore a big wrap on the wrist that looked as though he were icing it.

Holmes acknowledged Sunday that he injured his left wrist while bracing himself when he hit the ground against the Chicago Bears. He and Steve Smith are tied for second in the NFL with 214 yards receiving behind leader Dallas Clark's 222 for Indianapolis.

Holmes dropped three passes Sunday in the rain in Chicago, one in the end zone in the fourth quarter.

Timmons back on track

Lawrence Timmons likely will start at inside linebacker Sunday in Cincinnati. He missed the opener with a high ankle sprain and played mostly in the nickel defense in Chicago.

Tomlin said he had Timmons on a "snap count" Sunday to ease him back into the field of play. Timmons did well in his limited play with three quarterback pressures, two passes defensed and two tackles.

"The way that we chose to monitor that is we let Keyaron Fox play in base and him work in nickel to a certain degree, and then we balanced it out by having Lawrence play base to get more work," Tomlin said. "I thought it went relatively well. He played a decent number of snaps. Both contributed on special teams.

"I think with another week of work he's going to be ready to go and proceed there without worrying about snap total."

Safety update

Tyrone Carter, playing for injured Troy Polamalu at strong safety, has a bruised left thigh, but Tomlin thinks he could practice by tomorrow.

"If he can't go, Ryan Mundy steps up, and he's been playing some for us in sub-package football," Tomlin said. "We also have some veteran corners who have position flexibility in Deshea Townsend and Keiwan Ratliff."

Also, wide receiver Limas Sweed, who missed the game in Chicago with a sprained foot, ran yesterday and should be ready to go, according to the coach.

Well, they're both 1-1
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09266/10 ... z0RuANQ9RV
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Re: Tomlin spent time studying offenses, likes Pats offense

The biggest thing between the Steelers and a high powered offense is Bruce Arians. Just my opinion. How do you aspire to run an offense like that and not even go no huddle one single time in a game when that is your bread and butter?
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

Ben looked really good IMO, he misfired on a few passes, the one that would of been a 25 yd completion in the middle of the field was a bad miss, and the interception along with the deep ball on the third play of the game were really his only bad passes, we have a qb (duh), i still think our running game will be okay (not great but decent), we have skill receivers and the best TE in football, that OLine is the only thing hurting us, and even they show signs of being okay..

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    Ben looked really good IMO, he misfired on a few passes, the one that would of been a 25 yd completion in the middle of the field was a bad miss, and the interception along with the deep ball on the third play of the game were really his only bad passes, we have a qb (duh), i still think our running game will be okay (not great but decent), we have skill receivers and the best TE in football, that OLine is the only thing hurting us, and even they show signs of being okay..
    I would like to see us get a RB that can catch on the move who has major speed like a Chris Johnson type, or in the Cheats case Kevin Faulk. How many times have we had those bastards 3rd and 6 and Brady just throws a swing pass out into the flat to Faulk who doesn't miss a stride and easily picks up a first down?

One other thing the Pats seem to do that we don't is they have a lot more timing patterns on short stuff and some long stuff where Brady just heaves it to a spot and Moss goes to get it. Seems like Ben is a much more visual QB and I think that is why he seems to underthrow everything. By the time he sees his guy going deep he should of thrown it 2 seconds before that and let the WR run under it. Seems the WR are always coming back to his deep balls instead of catching them in stride.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I would like to see us get a RB that can catch on the move who has major speed like a Chris Johnson type, or in the Cheats case Kevin Faulk. How many times have we had those bastards 3rd and 6 and Brady just throws a swing pass out into the flat to Faulk who doesn't miss a stride and easily picks up a first down?

One other thing the Pats seem to do that we don't is they have a lot more timing patterns on short stuff and some long stuff where Brady just heaves it to a spot and Moss goes to get it. Seems like Ben is a much more visual QB and I think that is why he seems to underthrow everything. By the time he sees his guy going deep he should of thrown it 2 seconds before that and let the WR run under it. Seems the WR are always coming back to his deep balls instead of catching them in stride.
    I think we have that RB in Mendenhall. He just needs to develop. He is a very yoiunfg NFL player who has the skillset you describe. We saw a glimpse of that when he took that pass and fell and then reserved field for a good gain.

With regards to Ben as I have said many time before he does not have a great deep ball but he can be magic out to about 30 yards. The difference between Ben and Brady is that Brady will be content to throw 15 yard or less passes all day long and let his receivers get yards after the catch. You can just see from Ben's eyes and body language he wants to throw a 40 yard pass and that is what gets him sacked more than he needs to be.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I think we have that RB in Mendenhall. He just needs to develop. He is a very yoiunfg NFL player who has the skillset you describe. We saw a glimpse of that when he took that pass and fell and then reserved field for a good gain.

With regards to Ben as I have said many time before he does not have a great deep ball but he can be magic out to about 30 yards. The difference between Ben and Brady is that Brady will be content to throw 15 yard or less passes all day long and let his receivers get yards after the catch. You can just see from Ben's eyes and body language he wants to throw a 40 yard pass and that is what gets him sacked more than he needs to be.
    You hit the nail on the head there. Ben gets greedy. If he could just take what teams give him, and not get greedy, we have the weaponry. Lots of his sacks and INT's are very much his own doing.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

I watched the first half of the game on NFL Replay last night. Ben looked very, very good on that opening drive. Man, he moved the ball RIGHT DOWN THE FIELD.

Things seemed to get sloppy once that first deluge of rain came down. And did anyone else notice there were two big cloud bursts and both occurred when we had the ball? How crappy was that?!?!

(by the way, I still chuckle every time I see the code for that smiley is "wft" and not "wtf" )

Quote Originally Posted by PSU_dropout43
    by Ed Bouchette

"You study a team like New England, and they walk into a stadium offensively, and week to week they can be whatever they choose to be. They can beat you in three wides, four wides, three tight ends, and it makes them very difficult to prepare for and ultimately beat."

They also have not struck the kind of balance Tomlin would like to see them achieve. They average 262 yards passing per game and just 70.5 rushing. They have attempted 84 passes (six resulting in sacks) and 45 runs, three of them scrambles by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"I think two weeks in is too early to place a persona on anyone," Tomlin stated. "I think over time it will become obvious what we are, and we're not interested in giving anybody a heads up. ...

"You can't truly be successful unless you have some form of balance. Ultimately, though, we're interested in winning football games."

I find those 3 parts of the article interesting. Tomlin wants to be like the Patriots and throw the football a majority of the time yet then goes on and says you have to be balanced. I think the Pats are the epitome of showing if you are highly skilled at the passing game you don't need a running game....unless the WR gets tackled on the 2 yard line......then you might try and run it in 20% of the time.

The last sentence highlighted above though might be telling. Make the playoffs without showing your hand and unleash hell in the playoffs.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

Why do people keep saying this? Mendenhall has caught a total of 2 passes (including preseason games). Moore is the one who we should be using more...He has a proven record with big gains on dump-offs. Notice when we go no-huddle it is usually Moore who is in there, not Parker or Mendy.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast

Why do people keep saying this? Mendenhall has caught a total of 2 passes (including preseason games). Moore is the one who we should be using more...He has a proven record with big gains on dump-offs. Notice when we go no-huddle it is usually Moore who is in there, not Parker or Mendy.
    Because we "people" can

Obviously Tomlin also thinks like us peoples. From his presser yesterday

Q: Rashard Mendenhall made some nice plays. Do those things give confidence and make a difference?

A: I really donít believe he was lacking confidence at this point. He got an opportunity to play and he delivered, which is what we expected him to do and really what he expected to do. As we go on, heís going to get more of those opportunities and he better produce more of those plays.

Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!