Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm handling losses better than I use to...

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I'm handling losses better than I use to...

When I lived in Pittsburgh many years ago [90s] I could not even walk past news stands after a Steeler loss. As I'd walk to my classes at Pitt along Forbes or 5th avenues I consciously knew the locations of those green paper machines and would avoid eye contact at all costs! Even as the years progressed and internet took over I would avoid Steeler news sites etc. until the next victory.

I can now at least visit Steeler based message boards and websites mere days following a loss but I'm still unable to visit non partisan sites like Yahoo and ESPN. Even on normal days I can't stomach the Brady and Flacco gushing, but after a loss it's unbearable.

Here I am, less than 48 hours following a miserable loss, posting on a Steelers message board. Maybe we can treat this thread as a "support" thread for those of us who normally avoid Steelers news until the next victory. I'm slowly getting better! Some day I might even be able to watch Sunday/Monday night football after we lose. Let's just pray I don't have to test that out any time soon.
    My Steeler Blog:
    [url="http://www.skinablog.com/topics/sports"]http://www.skinablog.com/topics/sports[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: I'm handling losses better than I use to...

It's all in the loss, and how it happened. I can take a loss, on the road, to an NFC team much better than a conference loss or a divisional loss. I know we left some points on the field on Sunday, which would have won the game for us. I know Santonio doesn't usually have the dropsies like he did on Sunday. I know Troy will be back. I also kno we lost by 3 points. We will be fine.

Starter

User Info Menu

It usually takes me a day or two to be able to watch highlights or go to the message board after a loss, and as the above poster said, it depends on what kind of loss (and to whom).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It was a weekend of losses for me. Lost both my FF matchups in both my leagues, my Steelers lost, and because Skippy missed those crucial field goals, I had one more in the loss column of my work football pool. I would of won it all (210.00). This week has to be better.

As for handling the loss, it was a good thing the wife and little girl were out of town this weekend... they say I'm always grumpy after a loss (putting it mildly). The solace I take is that it was not within our division and it was non-conference. Still sucks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ASIAN
    It was a weekend of losses for me. Lost both my FF matchups in both my leagues, my Steelers lost, and because Skippy missed those crucial field goals, I had one more in the loss column of my work football pool. I would of won it all (210.00). This week has to be better.

As for handling the loss, it was a good thing the wife and little girl were out of town this weekend... they say I'm always grumpy after a loss (putting it mildly). The solace I take is that it was not within our division and it was non-conference. Still sucks.
    I'm glad I wasn't at your place this weekend, pointing at your wife's face while you lost both fantasy football matchups, your office pool, and the Steeler-Bear game. You likely would have gone all Piston Honda on my @$$ and beat me to a bloody pulp.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Me too
    I havent broken anything in a few years.
    When I see the players laughing and smiling after the game I questioned my crazy anger after a loss.
    Hey, I still get mad and dont read or watch anything Steelers for a day but Im coping now a days in my old age(39)....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I'm glad I wasn't at your place this weekend, pointing at your wife's face while you lost both fantasy football matchups, your office pool, and the Steeler-Bear game. You likely would have gone all Piston Honda on my @$$ and beat me to a bloody pulp.

That's E Honda!!! And I'll be using my 100 handed slap move on you.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

That's E Honda!!! And I'll be using my 100 handed slap move on you.
    All you Asian video game characters look the same to ol' roundeye here.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Haha... good thread.
    I definitely feel the same way. (Though, if we had lost the SB last year, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PI$$ED.)

But, I can recall my reaction as a kid, after the '89 playoff game vs. Denver. Anyone remember that one?
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Haha... good thread.
    I definitely feel the same way. (Though, if we had lost the SB last year, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PI$$ED.)

But, I can recall my reaction as a kid, after the '89 playoff game vs. Denver. Anyone remember that one?
    I have more of a memory of the AFC Championship games vs. Denver. The loss after the 1997 season, and the win after the 2005 season.