Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm handling losses better than I use to...

Benchwarmer

I'm handling losses better than I use to...

When I lived in Pittsburgh many years ago [90s] I could not even walk past news stands after a Steeler loss. As I'd walk to my classes at Pitt along Forbes or 5th avenues I consciously knew the locations of those green paper machines and would avoid eye contact at all costs! Even as the years progressed and internet took over I would avoid Steeler news sites etc. until the next victory.

I can now at least visit Steeler based message boards and websites mere days following a loss but I'm still unable to visit non partisan sites like Yahoo and ESPN. Even on normal days I can't stomach the Brady and Flacco gushing, but after a loss it's unbearable.

Here I am, less than 48 hours following a miserable loss, posting on a Steelers message board. Maybe we can treat this thread as a "support" thread for those of us who normally avoid Steelers news until the next victory. I'm slowly getting better! Some day I might even be able to watch Sunday/Monday night football after we lose. Let's just pray I don't have to test that out any time soon.

Re: I'm handling losses better than I use to...

It's all in the loss, and how it happened. I can take a loss, on the road, to an NFC team much better than a conference loss or a divisional loss. I know we left some points on the field on Sunday, which would have won the game for us. I know Santonio doesn't usually have the dropsies like he did on Sunday. I know Troy will be back. I also kno we lost by 3 points. We will be fine.

Backup

It usually takes me a day or two to be able to watch highlights or go to the message board after a loss, and as the above poster said, it depends on what kind of loss (and to whom).

It was a weekend of losses for me. Lost both my FF matchups in both my leagues, my Steelers lost, and because Skippy missed those crucial field goals, I had one more in the loss column of my work football pool. I would of won it all (210.00). This week has to be better.

As for handling the loss, it was a good thing the wife and little girl were out of town this weekend... they say I'm always grumpy after a loss (putting it mildly). The solace I take is that it was not within our division and it was non-conference. Still sucks.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by ASIAN
    It was a weekend of losses for me. Lost both my FF matchups in both my leagues, my Steelers lost, and because Skippy missed those crucial field goals, I had one more in the loss column of my work football pool. I would of won it all (210.00). This week has to be better.

As for handling the loss, it was a good thing the wife and little girl were out of town this weekend... they say I'm always grumpy after a loss (putting it mildly). The solace I take is that it was not within our division and it was non-conference. Still sucks.
    I'm glad I wasn't at your place this weekend, pointing at your wife's face while you lost both fantasy football matchups, your office pool, and the Steeler-Bear game. You likely would have gone all Piston Honda on my @$$ and beat me to a bloody pulp.

Pro Bowler

Me too
    I havent broken anything in a few years.
    When I see the players laughing and smiling after the game I questioned my crazy anger after a loss.
    Hey, I still get mad and dont read or watch anything Steelers for a day but Im coping now a days in my old age(39)....

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I'm glad I wasn't at your place this weekend, pointing at your wife's face while you lost both fantasy football matchups, your office pool, and the Steeler-Bear game. You likely would have gone all Piston Honda on my @$$ and beat me to a bloody pulp.

That's E Honda!!! And I'll be using my 100 handed slap move on you.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

That's E Honda!!! And I'll be using my 100 handed slap move on you.
    All you Asian video game characters look the same to ol' roundeye here.

Hall of Famer

Haha... good thread.
    I definitely feel the same way. (Though, if we had lost the SB last year, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PI$$ED.)

But, I can recall my reaction as a kid, after the '89 playoff game vs. Denver. Anyone remember that one?
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Haha... good thread.
    I definitely feel the same way. (Though, if we had lost the SB last year, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PI$$ED.)

But, I can recall my reaction as a kid, after the '89 playoff game vs. Denver. Anyone remember that one?
    I have more of a memory of the AFC Championship games vs. Denver. The loss after the 1997 season, and the win after the 2005 season.