Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this Wildcat

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this Wildcat

It is an exciting brand of football the phins are playing. I like it! It's still a physical brand of offense, and they are straight dictating to the Colts. Ronnie Brown really makes the scheme work, as (ideally) you want the QB to be able to pound it up the middle.

I agree with Gruden or Jaws, when they say he's not going to throw the ball, so the safety needs to get involved in run force. Of course that opens you up to the deep ball, but you're hoping Brown doesn't throw it well (a good possibility).

This really sells the Tebow as Wildcat, as this is basically what Tebow does for the Gaotrs anyway. Tebow can run inside (not as well as Brown), but he offers a much better throw option.

You can really have some fun, if the Steelers had Tebow, diagraming schemes with our personnel... Ben is a schoolyard guy at heart anyway.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: this Wildcat

Like the Run and Shoot, this gimmick offense will also pass.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerBuck
    Like the Run and Shoot, this gimmick offense will also pass.
    *You see the way that kid Brown on the Colts just finished that TD run; man, I wish we had that!

Getting back to the Wildcat: I agree, in a sense that you can't just have any fast chump at (Wildcat) QB. That's the point of my post: Brown makes this scheme go, cuz of his inside running ability.

If, for example, Arians wanted to stick Dixon at Wildcat... well, Dixon could throw the ball much better than a Ronnie Brown could, true. But that inside run/dive play that Brown's running so much tonight would not even be a part of the playbook. Therefore, the D would be spread out as normal--thus negating the Ricky Wiliams wide run as well. So, in that sense, you are right.

But if you got a guy like Brown (i.e. Tebow) who can pound it inside, it makes the D have to respect that aspect in addition for accounting for the Rick Wiliams option. Look, I'm not saying it's gonna revolutionize offensive football. Just giving props to Brown, and throwing the Tebow thing out there.

And it doesn't hurt that they are facing the Colt defense (sans Bob Sanders too).

Uncle Rico

Why do so many people think that the Wildcat is some kind of new innovative offense or something? Hell, Jim Thorpe ran that offense 100 years ago for christ's sake.

Legend

User Info Menu

Miami had the best possible offensive performance they could have possibly ask for when running this Wildcat, holding a greater than 3 to 1 advantage in time of possession, and they still lost the game. That was a horrifically bad 2 minute drill. Even Herm Edwards would agree that was poor clock management. Dear Lord.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like how hard Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown run. They are 'violent' runners and finish thier runs.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

yea that was pretty bad, they had the ball for 44 minutes and change, unreal, and they lost, that defnese is BADD, if they fix that defense than they look to be pretty good...i agree, brown and williams run hard, i love watching that, so do mcfadden and bush in oakland...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    It is an exciting brand of football the phins are playing. I like it! It's still a physical brand of offense, and they are straight dictating to the Colts. Ronnie Brown really makes the scheme work, as (ideally) you want the QB to be able to pound it up the middle.

I agree with Gruden or Jaws, when they say he's not going to throw the ball, so the safety needs to get involved in run force. Of course that opens you up to the deep ball, but you're hoping Brown doesn't throw it well (a good possibility).

This really sells the Tebow as Wildcat, as this is basically what Tebow does for the Gaotrs anyway. Tebow can run inside (not as well as Brown), but he offers a much better throw option.

You can really have some fun, if the Steelers had Tebow, diagraming schemes with our personnel... Ben is a schoolyard guy at heart anyway.

Indy sucks against the run. A lot of the big plays came off straight-up delayed handoffs. No one was singing the praises of the wildcat after the week 1 loss, now, after it does well against a piss-poor run defense, in another loss, people sing its praises again?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    yea that was pretty bad, they had the ball for 44 minutes and change, unreal, and they lost, that defnese is BADD, if they fix that defense than they look to be pretty good...i agree, brown and williams run hard, i love watching that, so do mcfadden and bush in oakland...
    Oakland would actually be a good place for it too. McFadden has a lot of experience running it. Bush seems like he has Ronnie Brown type skills. But as much as anything--their QB blows. Less time he has the ball, the better for them.

As for everyone singing it's praises, we're just saying it's nice to watch, and discussing ways it can be effective. No one is saying it's going to take over the league... can't we just have fun discussing it?

If Brown could be a legitimate throw option, that would be the ultimate. A guy who can:
    -run up the gut (strong inside runner)
    -is a legitimate throw option

(Tebow! )

I also think having a throw option in the Ricky Williams position is better--so that he can present defense with two things to cover. You don't need a power runner like Williams necessarily, cuz his runs are on the edges.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If minnesota adopted an aspect of the wildcat it would be pretty effective too. harvin on that sweep and peterson up the gut? plus they have chester taylor... wow it could be pretty effective there. but then favre may whine and quit. which is good.