Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Redman isn't solution for Steelers' offense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Redman isn't solution for Steelers' offense

I'm not even saying Redman is the answer. But he has shown the ability to be the answer where others have shown not to be. And I don't think it would take alot of reshuffling to find out.

It could be as simple as they felt that Redman would make it the practice squad and Summers wouldn't. Maybe someone was already sniffing for Summers. So if they want to keep both, they try sending Redman down. One thing is known; we can't house both of them right now.
    BUT if Parker goes FA, then Mendi moves up and we need another back. Also to, maybe Summers proves to be a flop or a success as the season progresses. Who knows what this season holds. Maybe we have 2 openings in the RB corp next season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Don't misunderstand and assume that I don't think Redman may have a future because he very well may. My only point continues to be that the coaches must see something everyday that is not there and they must see something everyday that Summers does have. These are not stupid men and they don't have these jobs because of a demonstrated lack of ability to evaluate talent. Can we agree on that?
    but every GAME we fail on 3rd and 1... I could see if Redman was needed to start at RB..
    our short yadage could be our downfall..

we already lost a game and we are starting to look like the Eagles in short yardage.. passing on 3rd and 1..

funny how we and the FO have all these theories why Redman isn't dressing... but until we see Redman in a game we have no idea how he will respond.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Don't misunderstand and assume that I don't think Redman may have a future because he very well may. My only point continues to be that the coaches must see something everyday that is not there and they must see something everyday that Summers does have. These are not stupid men and they don't have these jobs because of a demonstrated lack of ability to evaluate talent. Can we agree on that?
    but every GAME we fail on 3rd and 1... I could see if Redman was needed to start at RB..

we already lost a game and we are starting to look like the Eagles in short yardage.. passing on 3rd and 1..

funny how we and the FO have all these theories why Redman isn't dressing... but until we see Redman in a game we have no idea how he will respond.
    It's not theoretical that you have to cut someone from the 53 man roster to sign Redman from the PS. That means cutting someone who the staff thinks is capable of playing in the NFL to give another player a "chance." I'm willing to bet that Redman is getting plenty of "chances" in practice everyday against one of the best defenses in the NFL and I'm pretty certain if he was provided an overwhelming body of evidence that he could produce some moves would be made.

No guarantee that the player cut makes it to the PS.

Who gets cut for Redman?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

It's not theoretical that you have to cut someone from the 53 man roster to sign Redman from the PS. That means cutting someone who the staff thinks is capable of playing in the NFL to give another player a "chance." I'm willing to bet that Redman is getting plenty of "chances" in practice everyday against one of the best defenses in the NFL and I'm pretty certain if he was provided an overwhelming body of evidence that he could produce some moves would be made.

No guarantee that the player cut makes it to the PS.

Who gets cut for Redman?
    Summers. I think that is pretty obvious. You aren't going to cut a random o-lineman or a linebacker to make room for Redman. Summers hasn't shown anything so far as a runner, hasn't shown anything so far as a blocking FB, and hasn't shown anything so far on special teams coverage units. He would not be a loss. He was kept over Redman because he potentially could fill more roles than Redman who is essentially a one-trick pony. But since Summers does not appear to be filling any of his potential roles adequately at this point, and we are struggling in the one aspect where Redman could be of service, I think the move could be a worthwhile one. Using D.J. Johnson as the blocking FB instead of Summers would be an improvement.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Do you think Redman is a great player and the staff is just deliberately not playing him because they want to struggle? It must be that or they are incompetent and can't see talent watching a player at practice very single day.
    I think Tomlin is not so stupid as to have missed the short-yardage ability of Redman, as displayed against first-team NFL defenses both in practices and exhibition games. I think Tomlin doesn't want to bring Redman up until Redman can take on the role of a blocking back and be a significant contributor on special teams as well. I think Tomlin doesn't think a roster spot should be devoted to a player who is only a short-yardage back. I also think Tomlin would understandably be a bit biased toward the guys he drafted, and hoped would be able to do the job of short-yardage back. I think he would naturally give them preference over the undrafted rookie.

Here's my take:
    --So far, the Steelers haven't shown that ANY of the backs besides Redman can be
    effective in short yardage situations. As other posters have pointed out, they've
    been downright PITIFUL in that regard.
    --So far, Frank Summers has been just about useless as a blocking back...hard to see
    Redman doing any worse than Summers has.
    --We need to have a back who can be dependable in short-yardage situations...even if
    he is, for now, a one-dimensional player (we've spent roster spots on kickers,
    punters, long-snappers, and kick-returners, all of whom are pretty much
    one-dimensional).
    --All of which leads me to ask, what would be so harmful about giving Redman a
    CHANCE to show what he can do as our short-yardage runner?

And what's so bad about putting another starter on special teams, if necessary? James Harrison played STs all last season--it didn't seem to hurt his playing production any.
    If we have to have a starter play STs to move Redman up to the active roster, I say, let's go for it. IMO, the best ST players should be playing STs, whether they are starters or not.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser

Do you think Redman is a great player and the staff is just deliberately not playing him because they want to struggle? It must be that or they are incompetent and can't see talent watching a player at practice very single day.
    I think Tomlin is not so stupid as to have missed the short-yardage ability of Redman, as displayed against first-team NFL defenses both in practices and exhibition games. I think Tomlin doesn't want to bring Redman up until Redman can take on the role of a blocking back and be a significant contributor on special teams as well. I think Tomlin doesn't think a roster spot should be devoted to a player who is only a short-yardage back. I also think Tomlin would understandably be a bit biased toward the guys he drafted, and hoped would be able to do the job of short-yardage back. I think he would naturally give them preference over the undrafted rookie.

Here's my take:
    --So far, the Steelers haven't shown that ANY of the backs besides Redman can be
    effective in short yardage situations. As other posters have pointed out, they've
    --So far, Frank Summers has been just about useless as a blocking back...hard to see
    --We need to have a back who can be dependable in short-yardage situations...even if
    one-dimensional).

And what's so bad about putting another starter on special teams, if necessary? James Harrison played STs all last season--it didn't seem to hurt his playing production any.
    If we have to have a starter play STs to move Redman up to the active roster, I say, let's go for it. IMO, the best ST players should be playing STs, whether they are starters or not.

I can support your thoughts in this matter. Bottomline that I have been making is that Redman is a "one trick pony" and that does not fly with Tomlin if you aren't a starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's my take:
    one-dimensional).

I can support your thoughts in this matter. Bottomline that I have been making is that Redman is a "one trick pony" and that does not fly with Tomlin if you aren't a starter.
    And I think you are correct in that assessment. I just happen to disagree with Tomlin in this matter--when it comes to converting short yardage situations into first downs and goal line situations into touchdowns, a "one trick pony" may be better than no trick at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's my take:
    one-dimensional).

And I think you are correct in that assessment. I just happen to disagree with Tomlin in this matter--when it comes to converting short yardage situations into first downs and goal line situations into touchdowns, a "one trick pony" may be better than no trick at all.

I'd rather have a guy like Redman that does only one thing (short yardage running) but does it well than have a guy like Summers that can supposedly do three things (blocking as a fullback, special teams, and short yardage running), but is below average in each of them.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Here's my take:
    one-dimensional).

I'd rather have a guy like Redman that does only one thing (short yardage running) but does it well than have a guy like Summers that can supposedly do three things (blocking as a fullback, special teams, and short yardage running), but is below average in each of them.
    I'm not sure we have enough of a sample size to accurately determine that Summers is "below average."

That is the point I previously made that the coaches are seeing these guys every single day in practice so they do have a sample size to base an assessment on. All the "Redman now" faction can point to are meaningless games that took place almost a month ago.

The coaches have the best and most recent information. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.