[url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_645816.html?source=rss&feed=8[/url]

Pens claim Bourque's son off waivers
By Josh Yohe, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 1, 2009

NHL legend Ray Bourque's son is a Penguin.

Forward Chris Bourque, the 23-year-old son of the former Boston and Colorado defenseman, was claimed off waivers Wednesday by the Penguins.

The Washington Capitals did not want to part with Bourque but were forced to leave him available for salary cap reasons.

"I don't even know what to say," Bourque said. "It's been such of a crazy day. I thought I was going home to Boston to see my family, and now I'm going to Pittsburgh. My mom is probably freaking out right now because she doesn't have any way to contact me."

Bourque's mom and sister are vacationing and out of the country.

When the season starts, he will be with the Penguins.

"(Penguins general manager Ray Shero) said they've got 13 forwards, and they're going to give me a shot," Bourque said. "That's all I can ask for. I think it's going to be a good year for me."

Bourque has only one NHL goal in 12 games, but he has 82 goals over the past four seasons playing in Hershey, Washington's AHL affiliate. He was drafted in the second round (33rd overall) by the Capitals in 2004.

Bourque is only 5-foot-8, but he provides plenty of speed at left wing. He played some of his best minor-league games against Wilkes-Barre when Dan Bylsma was coaching the Baby Penguins.

He apparently made an impression.

On the same day the Penguins lost Paul Bissonnette to Phoenix via a waiver claim, they added Bourque.

"I'm looking forward to it," Bourque said. "It is another challenge in my life, and I hope I can capitalize on this opportunity and stick with the big club and maybe make a career of it."