Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bettis On The Steelers: Line Sucks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bettis On The Steelers: Line Sucks

The Bus is now writing for SI, and when I get the next edition, I'll scan it and post this full article, until then, here's the PFT preview of how Bettis sees our crappy OL and our RBs as well......

Bettis gets blunt about the Steelers
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2009 11:07 PM ET
    Jerome Bettis, whose NBC gig ended after the 2008 season, is now writing for SI.com.

And his debut column will raise some eyebrows in the 'Burgh.

Bettis explains -- accurately, we might add -- that the biggest flaw with the Steelers is their offensive line.

"This problem isn't anything new," Bettis says, "and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason. How did they rationalize not doing anything about it? Well, they won a Super Bowl. They won't be so lucky twice in a row. If Ben [Roethlisberger] continues to get hit the way he did Thursday -- the same way he did last year, then this will come back to haunt the Steelers. Ben will get hurt. Ben will miss games. And they don't have a line to run behind without Ben. Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this."

Bettis also echoes our recent item regarding the possibility that Mewelde Moore will leapfrog Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall on the depth chart.

Though the league source who pointed Bettis' column out to us thinks that Bettis will be required to tone it down soon, that directive surely won't come from SI.com. Instead, Bettis will have to decide whether he wants to continue to be a beloved alumnus of the Steelers organization, or whether he wants to be objective.

Then again, Bettis made waves three years ago by accurately exposing the fact that coach Bill Cowher would be packing it in after the 2006 season, a belief that was an open secret among the folks who cover the team, but it was treated by the beat writers with the discretion that once was afforded to politicians who engaged in periodic peccadillos.

Meanwhile, we agree whole-heartedly with Jerome's five other takes in the wake of Week One.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bettis On The Steelers: Line Sucks

Everything he said is true, including Mewelde Moore. He's the best RB on our roster right now
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

"This problem isn't anything new," Bettis says, "and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason.
    This is easy to say and hard to do. We were all clamoring for a big free agent signing but the reality is the money wasn't there. Even if you took the money you signed Starks and Kemo with they weren't going to get the top available players. The FO used their 2nd pick (3rd round) in the draft on Urbik, they used a 7th Round pick on Shipley and got one of the top USFAs in Foster. This area wasn't ignored.

The FO and the staff took a chance that stability and familiarity playing together would improve the OL play. I do admit that IMO the resigning of Kemo is a headscratcher because he has failed to impress. Maybe it will but to say they did not address the OL is intellectually dishonest on Bettis' part.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Everything he said is true, including Mewelde Moore. He's the best RB on our roster right now
    He's not the best RB necessarily. He's just the RB that we use when our offense is at its best in the no huddle. If we tried to run Moore the same way we run Parker or Mendenhall, he would be no better than they are in those situations.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    He's not the best RB necessarily. He's just the RB that we use when our offense is at its best in the no huddle. If we tried to run Moore the same way we run Parker or Mendenhall, he would be no better than they are in those situations.
    Totally agree.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree RB, I think we should use Mendy more in the no huddle also as he can catch, just to see what he has....heck after all, he was a first round pick and all.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser

I agree RB, I think we should use Mendy more in the no huddle also as he can catch, just to see what he has....heck after all, he was a first round pick and all.....
    Sooner or later they are going to have to take the training wheels off and give Mendy a legit chance to show what he can do. Even if they are throwing the ball, Mendy is a much better receiver than FWP.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They ran MMoore up the middle on 3rd and 1.
    That scared me as far as him possibly leapfrogging the RBs. Or maybe sending a signal. Or maybe just trying to catch Tenn leaning outside with Moore in the game.
    All said, if the OL doesn't start clicking and Parker doesn't start seeing some of the holes he missed, something will happen. Just by sheer philosophy shirt, Moore will get more PT in near future.
    Yes, there were some holes and especially missed cutbacks by Parker. I think he'll see those more in the near future when the rust comes off, but he does tend to lean to the outside and teams know it. His sheer speed gives him more opportunities on the edge than most RBs. But as he slows down, that won't work.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I disagree Ruthless...
    The main reason he's not the featured back is cuz his lack of speed & size. They want that HR-capability in there. And durabililty is probably a factor too (for Moore, who isn't a sturdy built guy).

But I just go by the fact that I was every game, and how I feel. I feel better in a tight game right now (as opposed to '06, when I would've been happy with Parker) with Mewelde in the game. He's solid as all heck.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    I disagree Ruthless...
    The main reason he's not the featured back is cuz his lack of speed & size. They want that HR-capability in there. And durabililty is probably a factor too (for Moore, who isn't a sturdy built guy).

But I just go by the fact that I was every game, and how I feel. I feel better in a tight game right now (as opposed to '06, when I would've been happy with Parker) with Mewelde in the game. He's solid as all heck.
    Speed and size are somewhat important for a RB, no? Right now, I think Moore is filling his particular role as best as can be expected. Totally respect the guy. But I don't see him as an answer as an every-down back on a long-term basis. He filled in admirably there in the short term when Mendenhall and Parker were both injured last year, but I wouldn't want to see him as a feature back on a regular basis except in case of injury. He's fine where he is as a 3rd down back and RB when we go no huddle. Important role player for sure, but not our best RB overall.