Thread: Steelers hope to avoid Super Bowl hangover

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers hope to avoid Super Bowl hangover

Steelers hope to avoid Super Bowl hangover

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, September 10, 2009
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_642340.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 42340.html[/url]

Three years ago, the Steelers experienced the mother of all Super Bowl hangovers.

There wasn't enough Alka-Seltzer to go around after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL.

Too much partying will make anyone sick.

Between the nonstop celebrating, Ben Roethlisberger's near-fatal motorcycle accident, early season complacency and the uncertainty surrounding the future of former coach Bill Cowher, the Steelers needed a 6-2 finish just to go 8-8.

The playoffs were out of the question.

The Super Bowl? A distant memory.

They say those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The Steelers, who have since added to their impressive array of hardware by winning yet another Super Bowl trophy, are saying all the right things entering tonight's 2009 opener against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field.

This time, so the saying goes, they won't take their success for granted.

"I think the difference is in preparation from last time to this time," outside linebacker James Harrison said. "Last time we won it, we soaked in it too long."

Harrison was a backup when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, playing behind Joey Porter.

His role has grown exponentially. He was named the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year last season, and he ran back an interception 100 yards for a touchdown in the Steelers' 27-23 win over Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII.

Inside linebacker James Farrior was a starter on both Super Bowl teams. He has a somewhat different perspective from Harrison, who joins Farrior as a defensive captain this season.

Speaking as a longtime team leader, Farrior promises the Steelers won't repeat their fatal mistake.

"I feel like we haven't really left off from last year," said Farrior, one of 15 current starters, including long snapper Greg Warren, who played in Super Bowl XL. "The offseason was short, and we're right back at it. I don't know if we had a lot of extra time to think about what we did last year and how things are going to be compared to the last time.

"I think for it being our first time winning a Super Bowl in so many years, a lot of players were relieved. It's a natural sense that you get when you win it all to relax and let your guard down. I think we did that a little bit too much the last time."

Farrior's and Harrison's words carry special meaning.

They're two of the best at what they do — both made the Pro Bowl last season. In addition to being two of the hardest workers on the team, Harrison and Farrior are stars at the team's signature position.

Today's Steelers have three linebackers good enough to start for the Steel Curtain. Harrison, Farrior and LaMarr Woodley make me think about Jack Ham, Andy Russell and Jack Lambert.

"I think, this year, we got back to work in a timely fashion, to where guys were back working out in the offseason and preparing themselves to come back and start this season," Harrison said.

Added Farrior: "I think it's just the focus that we have. A lot of the guys weren't even here last time we won, so they don't even know how it feels anyway. We're just trying to move forward, always being positive."

And hangover-free.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers hope to avoid Super Bowl hangover

Today's Steelers have three linebackers good enough to start for the Steel Curtain. Harrison, Farrior and LaMarr Woodley make me think about Jack Ham, Andy Russell and Jack Lambert.
    That is an odd statement. I could see Harrison's physical gifts being an upgrade over what Andy Russell brought to the table (Andy was more of a wily vet than a physical speciman), but how could you even let such a thought enter your mind about Ham and Lambert? I love Farrior and all, but we are talking about Jack @#$%ing Lambert! C'mon, now. Really. And Woodley has been impressive in his lone season as a starter, but how do you even compare him to the guy that was perhaps the most well-rounded LB of all time? In fact, a better comparison to Woodley would be DE Dwight White, and even then, Woodley is a heftier fella (10 lbs more stacked onto a frame that is 2 inches shorter).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    That is an odd statement. I could see Harrison's physical gifts being an upgrade over what Andy Russell brought to the table (Andy was more of a wily vet than a physical speciman), but how could you even let such a thought enter your mind about Ham and Lambert? I love Farrior and all, but we are talking about Jack @#$%ing Lambert! C'mon, now. Really. And Woodley has been impressive in his lone season as a starter, but how do you even compare him to the guy that was perhaps the most well-rounded LB of all time? In fact, a better comparison to Woodley would be DE Dwight White, and even then, Woodley is a heftier fella (10 lbs more stacked onto a frame that is 2 inches shorter).
    As I sit here at work, in my #58 home jersey, I have to agree with you RB. I think it would be enough to say we have great linebackers. No need to compare them to the legends of our past.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    As I sit here at work, in my #58 home jersey, I have to agree with you RB. I think it would be enough to say we have great linebackers. No need to compare them to the legends of our past.
    And truth be told, until one of them makes it into the HOF Lambert and Ham are off limits for comparison.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount