Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Reed gone this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jeff Reed gone this year?

He's in his last year and rejected his contract offer. I bet he smells a big payday elsewhere.

Did we keep that other kicker?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Jeff Reed gone this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    He's in his last year and rejected his contract offer. I bet he smells a big payday elsewhere.

No. We'll retain him. We'll franchise him if we have to. He is worth a kicker franchise tag #. The other potential free agents (Hampton, Colon, Parker, Clark, etc.) would be overpaid if given the franchise tag, but Reed would not be.

NFL player locker room talk: Discussing what can be done about racial inequality and criminal justice reform.

Presidential locker room talk: Discussing involuntary gynecological exams.

According to the highest office in the country, some "very fine people" marched with torches in a violent protest in Charlottesville, but participating in a non-violent protest on a football field means you are an S.O.B. who should be fired.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

No. We'll retain him. We'll franchise him if we have to. He is worth a kicker franchise tag #. The other potential free agents (Hampton, Colon, Parker, Clark, etc.) would be overpaid if given the franchise tag, but Reed would not be.
    Agree. Reed rejected IMO because he knew he would get tagged and that was probably worth more than the offer for one year. He is adopting the "Starks strategy" to a new contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Agree. Reed rejected IMO because he knew he would get tagged and that was probably worth more than the offer for one year. He is adopting the "Starks strategy" to a new contract.
    If no CBA is reached each team will have two franchise tags to use, I believe. I could see Clark potentially getting one as well; he's a nice fit and appears to want to remain a Steeler.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

If no CBA is reached each team will have two franchise tags to use, I believe. I could see Clark potentially getting one as well; he's a nice fit and appears to want to remain a Steeler.

Pappy
    Yep, two tags.....and by the way it sounds a new CBA is looking unlikely.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerBuck

Pappy
    Yep, two tags.....and by the way it sounds a new CBA is looking unlikely.
    One tag will be a franchise tag and one will be a transition tag (not two franchise tags).

NFL player locker room talk: Discussing what can be done about racial inequality and criminal justice reform.

Presidential locker room talk: Discussing involuntary gynecological exams.

According to the highest office in the country, some "very fine people" marched with torches in a violent protest in Charlottesville, but participating in a non-violent protest on a football field means you are an S.O.B. who should be fired.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthlessburgher
    One tag will be a franchise tag and one will be a transition tag (not two franchise tags).
    That's already the case isn't it? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to give each team an extra franchise tag, maybe not. The current CBA has one franchaise and one transition tag, I believe.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here is where I differ with some of you. I still don't see why he should be paid the big $ when there are more than capable kickers out there that can be signed.

The $ needs to go elsewhere, i.e. Clark before $ is given to a kicker.

Skippy has been good here, but we can get along with others as well.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthlessburgher
    That's already the case isn't it? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to give each team an extra franchise tag, maybe not. The current CBA has one franchaise and one transition tag, I believe.

Pappy
    I always go to Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio/NFL.com and he always sets me straight.

Its 1 franchise tag and 2 transition tags

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80864e15&template=with-video&confirm=true[/url]
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT