Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin: FWP won't rotate with Mendy

Starter

User Info Menu

Tomlin: FWP won't rotate with Mendy

Tomlin: 'Parker's our runner'
    by Kevin Gorman

Willie Parker didn't play in three of the four preseason games, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made it clear that he has no plans to rotate Parker and Rashard Mendenhall at running back.

"Willie Parker's our runner," Tomlin said Friday afternoon. "Rashard's done a nice job and he's going to get an opportunity to get his touches, but more important than anything else, Willie Parker is our runner."
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_641733.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 41733.html[/url]
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin: FWP won't rotate with Mendy

i dont like it. fwp is older these days and injuries are starting to mount up. i think they should split work a little bit

Legend

User Info Menu

I like it, Mendy can be in the wings as needed, and if he's not it's because FWP is doing well.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Um, did it occur to anyone that Tomlin isn't going to tip his hand right now
    to other teams for game planning purposes?

Just sayin'...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

On one hand he says they're not going to rotate. On the other, he says that Mendy will get his share of carries....gotta love Tomlin double speak.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The whole reason why we've had FWP so injury plagued is because we tried to "run the wheels off" of him via single sets. Backfield by consensus is the only way to survive in today's NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why not use up a commodity you are going to let go at seasons end and save the legs of your future as much as possible.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

IMO, it says MUCH more about Tomlin's opinion of Mendenhall than anything else. If this was say, Jonathan Stewart from Carolina, do you think Tomlin wouldn't divy up the workload? (to give Stewart carries)
    Or say it was Shady McCoy, who's done a good job for Philly in the preseason. Don't you think he'd give McCoy some opportunities as a feature back?

I think the answer is yes.

What it tells me is that Mendenhall doesn't instill the coach with confidence, eithr in his pure ability as a runner, or his other responsibilites, or whatever.

FWIW, I agree with it. Mendenhall hasn't shown anything to me, other than making me nervous when he enters a game. Run FWP til the wheels fall off! ...and if they do, let Mewelde pick up the slack.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    On one hand he says they're not going to rotate. On the other, he says that Mendy will get his share of carries....gotta love Tomlin double speak.
    Correct. Anyone who "sees" any more in it than that is simply:

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    IMO, it says MUCH more about Tomlin's opinion of Mendenhall than anything else. If this was say, Jonathan Stewart from Carolina, do you think Tomlin wouldn't divy up the workload? (to give Stewart carries)
    Or say it was Shady McCoy, who's done a good job for Philly in the preseason. Don't you think he'd give McCoy some opportunities as a feature back?

I think the answer is yes.

What it tells me is that Mendenhall doesn't instill the coach with confidence, eithr in his pure ability as a runner, or his other responsibilites, or whatever.

FWIW, I agree with it. Mendenhall hasn't shown anything to me, other than making me nervous when he enters a game. Run FWP til the wheels fall off! ...and if they do, let Mewelde pick up the slack.
    Gotta agree with Shoe here. It's not like Mendenhall has shown enough to earn more carries. Actually, if you go by that standard Redman should be splitting time with Parker. And Mendy has been known to put the ball on the ground at times as well...no complaints here with Tomlin's decision.