Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Redman to PS; Harris claimed by Carolina

Starter

User Info Menu

Steelers sign Redman to PS; Harris claimed by Carolina

Steelers sign Redman to practice squad
    Sunday, September 06, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie running back Isaac Redman cleared waivers and the Steelers signed him this afternoon to their eight-man practice squad.

Redman was the surprise hit of the preseason. He led the Steelers in scoring with three rushing touchdowns and also with 145 yards rushing. In nine chances over two live goal-line drills in training camp practices, he scored seven times.

He quickly picked up the nickname "Redzone" Redman but when the Steelers kept just four running backs, down one from last season, Redman was released on Saturday.

No one else claimed him and he joined seven others on their practice squad.

Among others on their practice squad are center A.Q. Shipley, defensive end Sonny Harris -- both draft picks this year -- rookie defensive tackle Steve McLendon, running back Justin Vincent, tight end Dezmond Sherrod and rookie wide receiver Tyler Grisham.

EDIT: Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers. He said goodbye to his former teammates in the locker room.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-100.stm#ixzz0QLlKTkS5"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/99 ... z0QLlKTkS5[/url]
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers sign Redman, Harris to practice squad

NICE!!! I'm overjoyed to have Redman, Sonny, and Shipley back on board. I'm not all that high on keeping Vincent and Sherrod around. I'd see if Bruce Davis wants a spot on the P.S., a possibly a developmental OT that was cut by another team.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    NICE!!! I'm overjoyed to have Redman, Sonny, and Shipley back on board. I'm not all that high on keeping Vincent and Sherrod around. I'd see if Bruce Davis wants a spot on the P.S., a possibly a developmental OT that was cut by another team.
    I too want to see Davis added to the PS... I'm guessing, that he will get looks from other teams (being a recent 3rd rounder), but striking out as a 34 'backer in the mecca of 34 defense might scare some away too.

I just want him for one more year.

I do wonder why you want Sonny Harris. I admit, I don't know much about him (don't really focus on him when I watch). What makes him someone you want to keep?
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Shoe,

I think Harris is a keeper too. From what i've read this year (and the games I've watched), he's a bonafide 3/4 defensive lineman. Reportedly John Mitchell loves him and Aaron Smith said just the other day that he'll definitely be a player in this league.

Supposedly, they were trying to work a trade for Kirschke so they could add Harris to the active roster but I guess that didn't happen.

I've watched him get to the QB with pressures during the preseason and saw him in the backfield a few times. Legit 3/4 d lineman are hard to come by but i guess Tomlin and Co. wanted to keep some more DB's to add speed on special teams?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am really happy AQ and Redzone made it to the PS!!!
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The article must have been edited because now it states that Carolina has claimed Harris off of waivers

Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers. He said goodbye to his former teammates in the locker room.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-100.stm#ixzz0QLgpnoS5"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/99 ... z0QLgpnoS5[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

How does the PS work - are they protected from other teams, or at any time can they be claimed?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers sign Redman to PS; Harris claimed by Carolina

Harris to Panthers....Dang that hurts.........
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Starter

User Info Menu

"Redzone" Redman!!...there is yet hope!!

Whooohoooo!!!

I'm glad Vincent will be around for a bit too. Not that I've watched
    him a lot, but I paid attention to him at the Carolina game after
    he had to leave the field after getting dinged. It looked to me like the
    staff wanted him to sit a while, but I could see through the binoclulars
    he was chomping at the bit to get back out there; and finally made a
    case to take the field. Call me a softie, but I like that in a player.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not surprised Carolina is looking for Defensive Linemen, they are in trouble up front right now. I'm surprised we couldn't work out a deal for Kirschke to Carolina of some sort.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.