Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final 53 Prediction

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Final 53 Prediction

If Redman goes to the PS, he's gone, a team will look at film and bring him in for depth at RB. Trying to hide him there will be a mistake in my opinion. Summers, may or may not, clear the PS, but the Steelers can't protect both.

I don't see Parker and Mendenhall both getting through the season unscathed, neither has proven that they can do that in recent history. The Steelers are going to need another RB this year and Logan isn't him (WR maybe, not an RB).

Keeping 10 secondary players seems like a luxury, but maybe not. Of course, if any of the 10 listed in the first post go to PS chances are real good they get picked up by another team. I thi9nk I would let Ratliff go and keep Redman or Summers on the 53; the Steelers have players that can play safety if needed. This would also put Logan as a WR where he belongs.

The Steelers are going to have to expose a good football player to other teams or not put Logan on the roster (unlikely at this point) to protect some of their good young talent.

Just my 2 cents...

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Interestingly, Douchette thinks that Tank is an odds on favorite to make the roster:

Summers is the odds-on favorite to make it. He started at fullback and threw a good block on the first play from offense last night, operating out of the I-formation. Mendenhall picked up 3 yards. Later in the period, Summers again set up as the fullback in the I-formation on third-and-1. Quarterback Charlie Batch handed Summers the ball, and he ground out 4 yards and a first down at the Carolina 21. Several plays later, Redman scored from 10 out for a 14-0 Steelers lead.
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995567-66.stm#ixzz0Q9rR4lOx[/url]

I'd love to see Summers, but I fear that it will be Davis. Redman is interesting. I wonder if his conditioning issues send him to the p.s., or if he earned a roster spot.

I also thought that Capizzi would take the swing tackle position, but from what I'm seeing, it seems like the consensus is that Hills somehow earned the spot?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Interestingly, Douchette thinks that Tank is an odds on favorite to make the roster:

Summers is the odds-on favorite to make it. He started at fullback and threw a good block on the first play from offense last night, operating out of the I-formation. Mendenhall picked up 3 yards. Later in the period, Summers again set up as the fullback in the I-formation on third-and-1. Quarterback Charlie Batch handed Summers the ball, and he ground out 4 yards and a first down at the Carolina 21. Several plays later, Redman scored from 10 out for a 14-0 Steelers lead.

I'd love to see Summers, but I fear that it will be Davis. Redman is interesting. I wonder if his conditioning issues send him to the p.s., or if he earned a roster spot.

I also thought that Capizzi would take the swing tackle position, but from what I'm seeing, it seems like the consensus is that Hills somehow earned the spot?
    Personally, I think Capizzi will also make the roster in place of Ramon Foster, to have better depth than just Tony Hills at OT. Legursky and Urbik would be the 2 backup OG, according to concensus.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel

Personally, I think Capizzi will also make the roster in place of Ramon Foster, to have better depth than just Tony Hills at OT. Legursky and Urbik would be the 2 backup OG, according to concensus.
    Yea, I was hoping that might be the case with Capizzi, but Foster played guard and tackle last night and Capizzi didn't get in until well after Foster. Not sure exactly what that means, other than Capizzi was the last lineman to play and maybe that is where he is ranked. I'm sure hoping it is either Foster or Capizzi along with Hills. Some people have ragged on Hills, but every time I've watched him he has done very well. Look at the Redman touchdown last night. He made a great block to seal the left side. Urbik also knocked down a lineman and then stood up a linebacker and took him out of the play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

Yea, I was hoping that might be the case with Capizzi, but Foster played guard and tackle last night and Capizzi didn't get in until well after Foster. Not sure exactly what that means, other than Capizzi was the last lineman to play and maybe that is where he is ranked. I'm sure hoping it is either Foster or Capizzi along with Hills. Some people have ragged on Hills, but every time I've watched him he has done very well. Look at the Redman touchdown last night. He made a great block to seal the left side. Urbik also knocked down a lineman and then stood up a linebacker and took him out of the play.
    I wasn't paying attention to the blocking on that play. It looked almost as if all 11 Panthers had a free shot at Redman, and he still broke every tackle on the way to the end zone.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

I wasn't paying attention to the blocking on that play. It looked almost as if all 11 Panthers had a free shot at Redman, and he still broke every tackle on the way to the end zone.

It was a good run, but not that good. Take a look at the replay and I think you will be very pleased with the blocks that took place. I think the reserve O-line has looked better than the starters. I sure hope the rumor that Redman is going to be cut is not true.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pre-OTA Prediction for the Pittsburgh Steelers 2013 53-Man Roster

By Kyle Curry on May 13, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers won’t being OTA’s (organized team activities) until May 21. They won’t start training camp until the middle of July and the team won’t make their final cuts to get to their 2013 53-man roster until the final days of August. So this prediction is coming very early, but it’s never too early to start looking at what the Steelers may decide for their final roster spots in 2013.

After the Steelers final pre-season game on August 29 the team will have to cut down it’s roster for the final time and will have their final 53-man roster. This is our first predication of what that final roster may look like:

Offense

Quarterback

Starter: Ben Roethlisberger
    Quarterback Depth: Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones
    Total Quarterback: 3

Running Back

Starting Running Back: Le’Veon Bell
    Starting Fullback: Will Johnson
    3rd Down Back: LaRod Stephens-Howling
    Running Back Depth: Baron Batch, Isaac Redman
    Total Running Back: 5

Wide Receiver

Starters: Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders
    Slot Receiver: Markus Wheaton
    Wide Receiver Depth: Jerricho Cotchery, Justin Brown
    Total Wide Receiver: 5

Tight End

Starter: Heath Miller
    Tight End Depth: David Paulson, Matt Spaeth, David Johnson
    Total Tight End: 4

Offensive Line

Starting Left Tackle: Mike Adams
    Starting Left Guard: Kelvin Beachum
    Starting Center: Maurkice Pouncey
    Starting Right Guard: David DeCastro
    Starting Right Tackle: Marcus Gilbert
    Offensive Line Depth: Ramon Foster, Guy Whimper, Doug Legursky
    Total Offensive Line: 8

Total Offense: 25

Defense

Defensive Line
    Starting Defensive Ends: Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood
    Defensive End Depth: Cameron Heyward, Al Woods
    Starting Nose Tackle: Steve McClendon
    Nose Tackle Depth: Alameda Ta’amu
    Total Defensive Line: 6

Linebackers

Starting Mack: Lawrence Timmons
    Starting Buck: Larry Foote
    Inside Depth: Marshall McFadden, Vince Williams
    Starting Outside Linebacker: LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds
    Outside Depth: Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter, Adrian Robinson
    Total Linebacker: 9

Defensive Backs

Starters: Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen
    Nickel: William Gay
    Corner Depth: Curtis Brown, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke
    Starting Free Safety: Ryan Clark
    Starting Strong Safety: Troy Polamalu
    Safety Depth: Robert Golden, Sharmarko Thomas
    Total Defensive Backs: 10

Total Defense : 25

Special Teams

Kicker: Shaun Suisham
    Punter: Brian Moorman
    Long Snapper: Luke Ingram
    Punt Returner: Justin Brown (wide receiver)
    Kick Returner: LaRod Stephens-Howling (running back)
    Total: 3

Total Roster: 53

Practice Squad: 8

Defensive End: Nick Williams
    Nose Tackle: Hebron Fangupo
    Defensive Back: Josh Victorian
    Offensive Lineman: Mike Golic Jr.
    Offensive Lineman: Joe Madsen
    Wide Receiver: J.D. Woods
    Tight End: Jamie McCoy
    Wide Receiver: David Gilreath

[URL]http://steelblitz.com/pre-ota-prediction-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers-2013-53-man-roster/3264/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Pre-OTA Prediction for the Pittsburgh Steelers 2013 53-Man Roster

By Kyle Curry on May 13, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers won’t being OTA’s (organized team activities) until May 21. They won’t start training camp until the middle of July and the team won’t make their final cuts to get to their 2013 53-man roster until the final days of August. So this prediction is coming very early, but it’s never too early to start looking at what the Steelers may decide for their final roster spots in 2013.

After the Steelers final pre-season game on August 29 the team will have to cut down it’s roster for the final time and will have their final 53-man roster. This is our first predication of what that final roster may look like:

Offense

Quarterback

Starter: Ben Roethlisberger
    Quarterback Depth: Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones
    Total Quarterback: 3

Running Back

Starting Running Back: Le’Veon Bell
    Starting Fullback: Will Johnson
    3rd Down Back: LaRod Stephens-Howling
    Running Back Depth: Baron Batch, Isaac Redman
    Total Running Back: 5

Wide Receiver

Starters: Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders
    Slot Receiver: Markus Wheaton
    Wide Receiver Depth: Jerricho Cotchery, Justin Brown
    Total Wide Receiver: 5

Tight End

Starter: Heath Miller
    Tight End Depth: David Paulson, Matt Spaeth, David Johnson
    Total Tight End: 4

Offensive Line

Starting Left Tackle: Mike Adams
    Starting Left Guard: Kelvin Beachum
    Starting Center: Maurkice Pouncey
    Starting Right Guard: David DeCastro
    Starting Right Tackle: Marcus Gilbert
    Offensive Line Depth: Ramon Foster, Guy Whimper, Doug Legursky
    Total Offensive Line: 8

Defense

Defensive Line
    Starting Defensive Ends: Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood
    Defensive End Depth: Cameron Heyward, Al Woods
    Starting Nose Tackle: Steve McClendon
    Nose Tackle Depth: Alameda Ta’amu
    Total Defensive Line: 6

Linebackers

Starting Mack: Lawrence Timmons
    Starting Buck: Larry Foote
    Inside Depth: Marshall McFadden, Vince Williams
    Starting Outside Linebacker: LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds
    Outside Depth: Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter, Adrian Robinson
    Total Linebacker: 9

Defensive Backs

Starters: Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen
    Nickel: William Gay
    Corner Depth: Curtis Brown, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke
    Starting Free Safety: Ryan Clark
    Starting Strong Safety: Troy Polamalu
    Safety Depth: Robert Golden, Sharmarko Thomas
    Total Defensive Backs: 10

Special Teams

Kicker: Shaun Suisham
    Punter: Brian Moorman
    Long Snapper: Luke Ingram
    Punt Returner: Justin Brown (wide receiver)
    Kick Returner: LaRod Stephens-Howling (running back)
    Total: 3

Defensive End: Nick Williams
    Nose Tackle: Hebron Fangupo
    Defensive Back: Josh Victorian
    Offensive Lineman: Mike Golic Jr.
    Offensive Lineman: Joe Madsen
    Wide Receiver: J.D. Woods
    Tight End: Jamie McCoy
    Wide Receiver: David Gilreath

[URL]http://steelblitz.com/pre-ota-prediction-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers-2013-53-man-roster/3264/[/URL]
    Probably pretty close. I hope DJ Johnson isn't on the team and we pick up someone with some talent at TE.

I don't see Brown beating out Burress at WR.

Ramon Foster will probably start over Beachum at LG and that is a concern because of his lack of athleticism.

I'm not sure that Legursky comes back and I think Golic or Madsen could make the final 53 as emergency Center.

On defense I see Sylvester over McFadden.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 05-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Interesting that he has 8 of the 9 players drafted on the 53. That would really be nice. He has N. Williams on the PS which is fine.

He could be right on a lot of the positions. But the O-line is suspect. First of all Legursky is not even on the roster. Plus TS almost always carry at least nine on the OL. So that opens up a couple spots for the UDFA's and I bet at least two make it.

It would be nice if someone would post all the players competing by position. Then you could get a better picture of things. eg.

RB
    20 Batch, Baron RB 5-10 210 25 3 Texas Tech
    26 Bell, Le'Veon RB 6-1 244 20 R Michigan State
    27 Dwyer, Jonathan RB 5-11 229 23 4 Georgia Tech
    39 McNeal, Curtis RB 5-7 191 23 R USC
    33 Redman, Isaac RB 6-0 230 28 4 Bowie State
    34 Stephens-Howling, LaRod RB 5-7 185 26 5 Pittsburgh

That's it for the RB's on the 90 players under contract. TS have been bringing in players for tryouts also but until they get a contract they are not listed. Last week TS signed one of those players a LB from WV.

49 Garvin, Terence LB 6-3 221 22 R West Virginia

He is one of 14 or so on the roster. That is going to be a very competitive position. It is going to be hard to break this position down. No way to finalize things until TC and pre-season. But still a listing of who is there to compete would be nice. Okay, since I started it one more grouping even though it takes forever is done.

45 Baxter, Alan LB 6-0 238 22 R Northern Illinois
    54 Carter, Chris LB 6-1 248 24 3 Fresno State
    50 Foote, Larry LB 6-1 239 32 12 Michigan
    40 McFadden, Marshall LB 6-1 233 26 1 South Carolina State
    57 Robinson, Adrian LB 6-1 250 23 2 Temple
    47 Rolle, Brian LB 5-10 240 24 2 Ohio State
    51 Spence, Sean LB 5-11 231 22 2 Miami (FL)
    55 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB 6-2 231 24 4 Utah
    94 Timmons, Lawrence LB 6-1 234 27 7 Florida State
    44 Williams, Vince LB 6-1 250 23 R Florida State
    48 Wilson, Kion LB 6-0 230 26 4 South Florida
    56 Woodley, LaMarr OLB 6-2 265 28 7 Michigan
    93 Worilds, Jason OLB 6-2 262 25 4 Virginia Tech

That's it for now. 8 or 9 of these players will be there in Sep. Plenty of time to get a line on the unknowns. It would help if they let you know whether they are ILB or OLB though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Offense

Quarterback 3

Ben Roethlisberger
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Landry Jones

Running Back 5
    Le’Veon Bell
    Jonathan Dwyer(One of Dwyer or Redman may be odd man out.)
    LaRod Stephens-Howling
    Isaac Redman (See above.)
    Will Johnson

Wide Receiver 6
    Antonio Brown
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Steve Breaston (May sign post June 1 & beat out Cotchery.)
    Markus Wheaton
    Plaxico Burress (If he could hold off J Brown.)
    Reggie Dunn (Expect him to get noticed and work on PR.)

Tight End 3
    Heath Miller (Sounds like he will start on 53.)
    David Paulson
    Matt Spaeth

Offensive Line 8
    Mike Adams
    Kelvin Beachum
    Maurkice Pouncey
    David DeCastro
    Marcus Gilbert
    Ramon Foster
    Guy Whimper
    Doug Legursky(May be signed or Caldwell post June 1. If not, Embernate is working at C or Golic has experience. Possibly one will make 53.)

Defense

Defensive Line 6
    Brett Keisel
    Steve McClendon
    Ziggy Hood
    Cameron Heyward
    Al Woods
    Alameda Ta’amu (Has to hold off Fangupo or to PS. If Commish suspends Ta'Amu...Fangupo may start on 53.)

Linebackers 9
    LaMarr Woodley
    Lawrence Timmons
    Larry Foote
    Jason Worilds
    Jarvis Jones
    Brian Rolle (I think Rolle does enough in Preseason and excel on STs that Sylvester doesn't make 53.)
    Vince Williams(Hopefully he could beat out McFadden. Loser to PS.)
    Chris Carter
    Adrian Robinson

Defensive Backs 10
    Ike Taylor
    Cortez Allen
    Ryan Clark
    Troy Polamalu
    William Gay
    Curtis Brown
    Terry Hawthorne
    DeMarcus Van Dyke
    Robert Golden
    Sharmarko Thomas

Special Teams 3
    Danny Hrapmann - K (With Hrapmann's leg strength & some improved accuracy...He could push Suisham.)
    Drew Butler - P (Should hold off Moorman.)
    Luke Ingram - LS (Special talent should get him a job over aging Warren.)

IR: Sean Spence (Another year for recovery. Hopeful.)

Nick Williams DE
    Hebron Fangupo NT
    Josh Victorian CB
    Joe Long OT
    Nik Embernate G
    Justin Brown WR
    Curtis McNeal RB
    Marshall McFadden LB