Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kansas City Chiefs remove offensive coordinator Chan Gailey

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Kansas City Chiefs remove offensive coordinator Chan Gailey

Not to be outdone, Tampa has also fired their offensive coordinator before the season even started. is going on in the NFL these days? Good luck, Lefty...you are going to need it, brother.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4442178[/url]

Just-hired Jagodzinski fired by Bucs
    By Pat Yasinskas
    ESPN.com
    Updated: September 3, 2009, 11:10 AM ET

TAMPA, Fla. -- In a stunning move 10 days before the start of the regular season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have dismissed offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

The Bucs announced the move in a statement Thursday morning and said quarterbacks coach Greg Olson will take over as coordinator. There was no reason given for Jagodzinski's firing, but coach Raheem Morris is scheduled to discuss the situation later in the day.

The change comes on the eve of the Bucs' preseason finale against the Houston Texans. Tampa Bay opens the regular season Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys.

Jagodzinski was hired by Morris in January three weeks after a rocky ending to his time as head coach at Boston College. Jagodzinski was fired by the Eagles after interviewing for the head coaching vacancy with the New York Jets against the wishes of the college's administration.

Jagodzinski led Boston College to the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game in each of his two seasons.

Olson came to the Bucs as quarterbacks coach last year under former coach Jon Gruden. He previously has been offensive coordinator for Detroit and St. Louis.

The Bucs became the second NFL team in three days to make a preseason change at offensive coordinator; the Kansas City Chiefs relieved Chan Gailey of his duties on Monday and said head coach Todd Haley will take over the role.

Pat Yasinskas covers the NFC South for ESPN.com.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Hire him!!!
    I know it was just a joke, but it got me thinking, Ariens has sort of an insurance policy, that no one wants to disturb Ben's karam. Bringing in someone else will be incredibly disruptive from that point of view. Just think about Corky ... I think he never got a fair shake, in terms of how many OCs did he go through? Maybe a P. Manning has the smarts to deal with that, but there are lots of great QBs who maybe wouldn't have made good rocket scientists.

I don't know if Ben is as cerebral as Manning, or more like ?, but I sure don't want to find out on a whim. So like it or not, the Emperor of Obvious is probably going to be with us for a while.
    A joke? Well that's a yes and no answer. If we hadn't just won the SB it wouldn't be a joke. I think Gailey was one of the most imaginative OCs we have ever had. He was the one who developed the 'Slash' role. He brought us the 4 and 5 wideout formations. While Earnhardt get the credit for some of that Gailey seemed to have been the architect. But since we won the SB I don't think we want to mess with any of the chemistry the team has and Arians is a part of that chemistry. I don't dislike Arians like some here do but I don't think he is anything special.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll give him some of the credit for the Slash thing I suppose... but I was never a fan of the offense when he was OC. It was productive, yeah. But it seemed rather gimmicky and unSteeler-like (with the aforementioned 4- & 5-WR sets). I think his RB's at the time were Pegram, Bam Morris, maybe Leroy Thompson... so he can be forgiven a bit for de-emphasizing the run.

We weren't a very dynamic offense (other than Kordell).
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Stupidity apparently happens in threes. First Gailey, then Jagodzinski, now Schonert. I've never heard of a single team firing their offensive coordinator during the pre-season, never mind three teams doing it.

I feel like Vince Lombardi prowling the sidelines and screaming "What the hell is going on around here?"

Bills confirm ouster of Schonert

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 2:34 PM ET

In a press conference that streamed via the team's official web site roughly as well as the team's offense executed its mission during the preseason, the Buffalo Bills confirmed that offensive coordinator Turk Schonert has been ousted from his position.

"Today we removed Turk Schonert and relieved him of his responsibilities as our offensive coordinator," coach Dick Jauron said. "[Quarterbacks coach] Alex Van Pelt will assume the play calling duties and [running backs coach] Eric Studesville will continue as our run game coordinator and we'll obviously move forward as quickly and as well as we possibly can from here. Nothing that we had planned on obviously, nothing that was enjoyable in any way shape or form, but that's what occurred."

Jauron said that the decision was his and his alone.

"I wasn't thinking about firing him three days ago," Jauron said. "I wasn't thinking about it two weeks ago. And when you start thinking about it, I think you need to move on it and do something. So when I started thinking about it I gave it a good deal of thought and did it. Clearly I believe it's the right thing to do. It's painful for him and for his family and for the organization to go through it, but it was just a decision I needed to make I felt, and made it."

Jauron also said that Schonert will not be remaining with the team.

In explaining the reasons for the move, Jauron took partial responsibility for it.

"It was just the lack of productivity and the direction we were moving," Jauron said. "I just didn't feel like it was going certainly where I envisioned it going. And there's clearly a lot of fault here, not just Turk and I'm willing to accept certainly my share of that."

Translation? If Jauron hadn't made the move now, it very well might have been his own butt later.

And it still very well might be.
    [url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/04/bills-confirm-ouster-of-schonert/[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.