Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin lauds DEs in goal-line drill

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin lauds DEs in goal-line drill

Scott Brown
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... epressbox/[/url]

Tomlin lauds DEs in goal-line drill

Posted August 10, 2009 8 :04 PM

New and notes from the 11th day of training camp ...

· After further review of Sunday's goal-line drill, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin couldn't say enough about defensive ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel.

The two were big reasons why the first-team defense stuffed the first-team offense on three running plays from the 1-yard line.

"On the first snap, Aaron Smith had great pad level and created penetration and really one guy got three," said Tomlin, who watched the drill again on film. "When you stack people up like that you're going to have a party in the backfield. On the second play I thought it was unbelievable overlapping effort from Brett Keisel, who made the play, and he was the backside defensive end."

Speaking of praise, Smith couldn't lavish enough of it on rookie defensive end Ziggy Hood.

Hood, who is making the transition from tackle in 4-3 defense to end in a 3-4, has been having a good camp. The first-round pick has done so well that Smith said he expects Hood to make an impact this season.

This is in spite of the fact that the Steelers have both starters and both top reserves from last season returning at defensive end.

"He's progressed faster than anybody I've ever seen do it before. He's still got a ways to go but as far as a rookie in camp, he's progressed much faster than I've ever seen," Smith said. "He's going to be a really good player for a really long time. He gets it. He's a smart kid and works hard."

· Add Rod Woodson to the list of those who played for Dick LeBeau and think it is borderline criminal that the Steelers defensive coordinator is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

During his induction speech last Saturday night in Canton, Ohio, Woodson said LeBeau should also be in the Hall of Fame.

"I didn't expect to hear my name in Rod Woodson's acceptance speech but what a tremendous honor and what a great compliment to me that he spoke of me in that light," said LeBeau, who is entering his 51st NFL season as a player or coach and has distinguished himself in both areas. "When you get your former players talking about you like that it makes you feel like maybe you did something right. The bottom line, Rod Woodson did 100 times more for me than I ever did for him."

· It sounds like newly signed center Alex Stepanovich will play some Thursday night in the Steelers' exhibition opener against the Arizona Cardinals.

The Steelers and Stepanovich — a fifth-year veteran who has started 34 NFL games — may not have a choice. There are only two other healthy centers on the roster, and Tomlin all but ruled out starter Justin Hartwig (toe) for Thursday night's game while Darnell Stapleton (knee) is sidelined with a knee injury.

It may be a bit much to ask second-year man Doug Legursky and rookie A.Q. Shipley to take all the snaps at center given their inexperience. That explains why Stepanovich, who worked out for the Steelers last Friday, spent Monday morning getting a crash course on his new team's offense.

Not much new on the injury front. Running back Willie Parker (back) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (knee) didn't practice Monday but Tomlin said each is close to returning to drills.

Running back Mewelde Moore is still out with a hamstring problem as are wide receivers Martin Nance (hamstring) and Brandon Williams.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin lauds DEs in goal-line drill

· It sounds like newly signed center Alex Stepanovich will play some Thursday night in the Steelers' exhibition opener against the Arizona Cardinals.

The Steelers and Stepanovich — a fifth-year veteran who has started 34 NFL games — may not have a choice. There are only two other healthy centers on the roster, and Tomlin all but ruled out starter Justin Hartwig (toe) for Thursday night's game while Darnell Stapleton (knee) is sidelined with a knee injury.

It may be a bit much to ask second-year man Doug Legursky and rookie A.Q. Shipley to take all the snaps at center given their inexperience. That explains why Stepanovich, who worked out for the Steelers last Friday, spent Monday morning getting a crash course on his new team's offense.
    This is a rather interesting situation. Legursky and Shipley have been in camp the entire time and haven't progressed enough to warrant all the snaps in a pre-season game. So, they go and get a 5 year veterean and give him a crash course on the offense and he's better than the younguns?

That's disappointing to say the least. I was really hoping to see thsoe two take all the snaps sans a few for Stepanovich late in the game.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so if hood is going to play DE who is going to take over next season at DT? i dont think there is any way that this wont be hampton's last season. i guess they could platoon hoke and a rookie from next year's draft. just seems like poor planning. i wish they traded back and selected brace

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd love to see the D with a shirt that said - "Party in the backfield"

Legend

User Info Menu

How can the D stop this from the 1 yd line????

Pure pain comin at ya....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

This is a rather interesting situation. Legursky and Shipley have been in camp the entire time and haven't progressed enough to warrant all the snaps in a pre-season game. So, they go and get a 5 year veterean and give him a crash course on the offense and he's better than the younguns?

That's disappointing to say the least. I was really hoping to see thsoe two take all the snaps sans a few for Stepanovich late in the game.

Pappy
    If it makes you feel any better Stepanovich was waived by us a couple of seasons ago.

Although I will admit he should have stayed over Ghiaciuc...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would think that a 5 year vet with starting experience in the NFL is still better than a rook who has only been in camp for a few months and a guy who has only seen the PS. Wise move to bring him in-

Situation is almost like when Batch went down and they bring in a vet in Leftwich.

This is insurance in case Stapleton and Hartwig stay out for a longer period of time. No way would I feel comfortable starting the regular season with Legursky or the rook at C.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

No big deal regarding the Step signing. We would have probably used all four Cs had they been healthy, now we bring one guy in to make it 3. It doesn't say that they are not progressing, it just says that they won't burden kids with possibly being schooled and humiliated in their first games. They will probably get a good share of snaps and some much needed sideline coaching as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Alex Stepanovich is a physical Center unlike finesse C we had in S Mahan and Justin Hartwig and if he can stay healthy will be a good backup IMO. Injuries derailed his NFL career.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Alex Stepanovich is a physical Center unlike finesse C we had in S Mahan and Justin Hartwig and if he can stay healthy will be a good backup IMO. Injuries derailed his NFL career.
    I can't comment about how physical he is since I have not seen him play yet (I never really watched the Cards or Falcons all that often, and I don't recall his time in Cincy), but playing in the AFC North, facing off against guys like Haloti Ngata, Shaun Rogers, and Domata Peko, you should have some girth. Stepanovich (listed at 6-4 296) appears to be closer physically to Mahan (listed at 6-3 301) than Hartwig (listed at 6-4 312).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.