Thread: Tony Granato Named Penguins Assistant Coach

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Tony Granato Named Penguins Assistant Coach

Good move. With Fitzgerald preferring to be involved more with player development than coaching, it is great to get someone with this much NHL coaching experience, who is also still young enough that some of the players will remember him from his playing days, giving him instant respect in the locker room.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=463547

Tony Granato Named Penguins Assistant Coach

Aug 5, 2009, 1:26 PM EDT

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins named Tony Granato as assistant coach, announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Granato spent the last six seasons behind the bench for the Colorado Avalanche and served two stints as Avalanche head coach from 2002-04 and 2008-09. Granato compiled a 215-104-17-16 record and led Colorado to a Northwest Division title in 2003.

"We are excited to have a guy who's accomplished as much as Tony join our staff as an assistant coach," Penguins Head Coach Dan Bylsma said. "In addition to his 13 years as an NHL player, he's also been a head coach and assistant coach for six years with the Avalanche, and all of that experience will make him a tremendous asset to the Penguins organization."

Granato, 45, joined the Avalanche organization in June 2002 as an assistant coach. He was elevated to head coach on Dec. 18, 2002 and led the club to a 32-11-4-4 mark en route to its ninth consecutive division title. The following season Granato steered the Avalanche to a 40-22-13-7 finish and an appearance in the conference semifinals.

The Downers Grove, Illinois native served as an assistant coach for the Avalanche from 2005-08. Last season, Granato was promoted to his second tenure as the club’s head coach and oversaw the development of a young Colorado team.

Granato played 13 seasons in the NHL with the New York Rangers (1988-90), Los Angeles Kings (1990-96) and San Jose Sharks (1996-2001). In 1997, he played in the NHL All-Star Game and was the recipient of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, given for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

In 773 career games, the feisty, two-way forward posted 248 goals, 244 assists, 492 points and 1,425 penalty minutes. Granato tallied 16 goals, 43 points and 141 penalty minutes in 79 career postseason games and helped lead Los Angeles to a Stanley Cup Final berth in 1993.

Prior to joining the professional ranks, Granato played four years at the University of Wisconsin. He was named to the WCHA Second All-Star Team and NCAA West Second All-Star Team in both 1985 and ’87, and was inducted into the Badgers’ Hall of Fame in 2000.

Granato also played for the United States National Team in 1987-88 and represented his country in the 1988 Olympic Games in Calgary.
    http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=463559

Granato Adds Experience to Penguins Coaching Staff
    Sam Kasan
    Aug 5, 2009, 2:57 PM EDT

The Pittsburgh Penguins coaching staff became a lot more experienced Wednesday with the addition of Tony Granato as assistant coach.

Granato has 19 years of experience in the National Hockey League as a head coach, assistant coach and player. He was behind the bench for the Colorado Avalanche the past six seasons, including two stints as head coach, and played 13 NHL seasons.

“I’m just extremely excited to join an organization with such great history and get a chance to work with a staff that I’ve admired from afar with what they’ve done,” Granato said. “I’m looking forward to being a part of it.”

Granato, 45, joins Bylsma and assistant coaches Mike Yeo and Gilles Meloche in rounding out Pittsburgh’s 2009-10 coaching staff.

“I certainly look forward to being alongside Mike, Gilles and Dan,” Granato said. “I admire what they were able to accomplish last year. They certainly have things in order and how they operate. I look forward to learning from them and being a part of their staff.”

“We are excited to have a guy who’s accomplished as much as Tony join our staff as an assistant coach,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said. “In addition to his 13 years as an NHL player, he’s also been a head coach and assistant for six years with the Avalanche, and all of that experience will make him a tremendous asset to the Penguins organization.”

Granato brings to Pittsburgh a wealth of coaching experience at the NHL level. He was Colorado’s head coach from 2002-04 and 2008-09, leading the Avalanche to a 215-104-17-16 record and a Northwest Division title in 2003. He also served as an assistant coach with Colorado for three-plus seasons.

He was originally hired as an assistant with the Avalanche in June 2002 but was promoted to head coach that December. Under Granato’s leadership, the club went 32-11-4-4 and won its nine consecutive division title. The following season Granato steered the Avalanche to a 40-22-13-7 finish and an appearance in the conference semifinals.

Granato stepped back into his former role of assistant coach from 2005-08. Last season, he completed his second stint as head coach and oversaw the development of a young Colorado team.

Now, Granato will be working with the defending Stanley Cup champions.

To be able to jump to an organization like this that’s on the top, I feel very lucky. I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to help in any way I can. I’ll do my part to help keep that going. - Tony Granato“To be able to jump to an organization like this that’s on the top, I feel very lucky,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to help in any way I can. I’ll do my part to help keep that going.”

Granato joins a deeply talented team in Pittsburgh with players like Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury. Granato is no stranger to working with talented players. In Colorado, Granato worked with stars like Joe Sakic, Petr Forsberg and Patrick Roy.

“I’ve been able to deal with players like that in Colorado and I played with quite a few throughout my career,” Granato said. “I think it helps. That experience you gain with those guys. I feel good about what’s going to happen with the players in Pittsburgh.”

Granato played 13 seasons in the NHL with the New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks. The feisty, two-way forward eclipsed the 30-goal and 60-point mark four times.

His best season came in 1992-93 when he scored 37 goals, 45 assists, 82 points and 171 penalty minutes. He added 17 postseason points on six goals and 11 assist to help the Kings earn a berth in the Stanley Cup Final.

He suffered a possible career-ending brain injury in 1996 but returned the following season to score 25 goals and was awarded the Bill Masterton Trophy for exemplifying perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“I’ve gone through a lot as a player and as a coach,” Granato said. “I love the game and being a part of it. I think all of us that play and coach want to win and want to be a part of something special.”

And Granato wants to make his experience with the Penguins something special.

“I’m just thankful and really looking forward to being a part of the staff, getting my family moved and being part of the community there,” he said. “With what Pittsburgh’s done for so many years, the tradition, the history, to be able to join an organization that like is extremely exciting for me.”

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Re: Tony Granato Named Penguins Assistant Coach

This is a good move by the Pens. He was, more or less, hung out to dry last season in Colorado. He had very little talent to work with and not much in the pipeline (the Colorado AHL affiliate plays in Cleveland), so it was a helpless situation he had out there. He had a handful of decent guys last season. But, mostly, he was cleaning up a mess.

I remember his playing days. At his career height, he was a lynch pin for the Kings and was no small contributor to their success in the early 90s.

I suspect he may try to fine tune the Pens top scoring lines. They went through some uncertain moments last season before figuring things out after MT's exodus. I would think he will get the pairings in shape early, so that won't be an issue...beyond injury, of course.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    I suspect he may try to fine tune the Pens top scoring lines. They went through some uncertain moments last season before figuring things out after MT's exodus. I would think he will get the pairings in shape early, so that won't be an issue...beyond injury, of course.
    Yeah, I think he'll get the lines figured out pretty early. Let me help him:

Guerin - Crosby - Kunitz

Fedotenko - Malkin - Talbot

Kennedy - Staal - Cooke

Dupuis - Adams - Rupp

Gonchar - Orpik

Letang - McKee

Goligoski - Eaton

Ta Da!!! That was easy.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Kennedy - Staal - Cooke
    That's the third line, kids...would pass for a first line on several NHL teams right now. Very nice pairing an they are going to be a handful in the playoffs when the Pens need fresh legs from a third line.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Kennedy - Staal - Cooke
    That's the third line, kids...would pass for a first line on several NHL teams right now. Very nice pairing an they are going to be a handful in the playoffs when the Pens need fresh legs from a third line.
    Mmmmmmm...Energy Line...