Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp 09 Updates

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Training Camp 09 Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    what did tomlin mean by 'Ben is not the only player with some sort of civil proceeding going on'.....in the first video? Who the hell else is being sued?
    I would venture to guess he's referring to the entire league, not just the Steelers.

Basically meaning, "This kind of thing happens all the time and it's not always a distraction".

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url="http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/"]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/[/url]

Saturday, August 01, 2009
    Aug. 1 morning practice update
    There were a couple of surprise participants in the first practice session of the 2009 training camp as both Troy Polamalu and Deshea Townsend took part despite head coach Mike Tomlin saying both would be slowed early on by sore hamstrings.

Tight end Heath Miller (sports hernia surgery) and center Justin Hartwig (toe) did not practice.

With Hartwig out, Darnell Stapleton, who was also expected to be slowed early on, played center and did a good job there, keeping Casey Hampton at bay several times and actually getting some push on the big man.

Trai Essex worked with the first team line at right guard.

Daniel Sepulveda did his first major kicking in nearly a year and looked very good, often outkicking return men Santonio Holmes and Shaun McDonald. Rookies Joe Burnett and Mike Wallace were working with the gunners as this drill was more about punt coverage than returns.

First-round pick Ziggy Hood worked at left end with the third-team.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians let wide receiver Brandon Williams have it after Williams took his eyes off a pass in third down drills - starting running before he had the ball - and dropped the pass.

"Catch the $#^$#!$% ball before you start running with it. You've got to convert on the @#$%#$$#$!# third down."

Arians was very vocal this morning overall.

Ben Roethlisberger finally talked with the media this morning, but dodged all questions about his legal problems. In fact, after about the fifth questions about it, he threatened to walk away.
    Posted by Dale Lolley at 12:24 PM 1 comments Links to this post
    Hampton still to heavy?
    Word is that Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton may still be heavier than what the team would like - even though he completed the run test Friday – and might still be asked to sit out some practices to work with a conditioning coach.

Hampton, of course, was placed on the PUP list last season by head coach Mike Tomlin after coming into camp overweight and unable to complete the run test.

We'll see what happens.

© Mike Tomlin dropped in at our dinner tonight and had a good laugh about the Michael Vick-cab driver stuff that started on a Pittsburgh radio station today.

"If we were bringing in Vick, would we use a cab?"

That was my point about the whole thing to begin with. Stupid rumor.
    Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:42 AM
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url="http://twitter.com/jimwexell"]http://twitter.com/jimwexell[/url]

# Publicly, Steelers say they cant afford any more extensions. Privately, my sources insist, they want to reel in Keisel and Reed.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    Ryan Clark says he's not currently involved in any contract talks. Throwing his body around may not b a good thing. Details tonight.about 2 hours ago from txt
    #
    Dermontti Dawson, Earl Holmes, Jerry O, Mike Shanahan on sidelines this morning.about 3 hours ago from txt
    #
    Sepulveda hit many rockets this morning. Stud.about 3 hours ago from txt
    #
    Details to the following notes tonight at 5:45 when SCI TV unveils its new webchat starring me. You'll like.about 3 hours ago from txt
    #
    Stapleton replaced Hartwig at C this morning. Why did Hartwig lie about toe injury?about 3 hours ago from txt
    #
    Ben spoke to a media mob after practice. He was combative, as should b expected, and only answered fb questions.about 3 hours ago from txt
    #
    Troy practiced this morning. Obviously that hammy isnt as bad as it was last year.about 3 hours ago from txt

Legend

User Info Menu

I really liked the rainbow emanating from the practice fields at Latrobe in the second to last video. A pot of black and gold indeed.

Every last tidbit of information was offered, including the names of Willie Colon's fish, "Humbleness" and "Hungry." Anyone want to tell him that his one fish should be named "Humility" instead of "Humbleness?" I think I'll pass. I hope that Hampton didn't lose all that weight by going on a sushi diet, or else we have to worry about him being hungry for "Hungry" the fish. :P
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm just coming back to the Wexell twats and have been wondering what the heck Mike Shanahan is doing on our sidelines? I know Dirt and Earl Holmes are interning, but what about Mike?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[youtube:3cixj6wd]AMX48QmfROI[/youtube:3cixj6wd]

[youtube:3cixj6wd]prN_5J81WL0[/youtube:3cixj6wd]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

great work costanza.

really appreciate this from east tn.

keep em coming.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    I'm just coming back to the Wexell twats and have been wondering what the heck Mike Shanahan is doing on our sidelines? I know Dirt and Earl Holmes are interning, but what about Mike?
    Replacing Arians as our O.C.? One can dream...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wexell's Twitter:

# final scrimmage starts w parker cutting back thru hole for long run down sideline. great to see.14 minutes ago from txt
    #
    in line drills urbik played poorly enough to become tomlins whipping boy. but hills real bad.18 minutes ago from txt
    #
    lot of work on screens today. only 1st day but those plays look as bad as did last year.37 minutes ago from txt
    #
    timmons inj doesnt look serious as he walks around.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    timmons dinged during backs on backers blocking drill. woods on 1st team.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    lot of position flex work. capizzi seeing rg work in addition to rt on 2nd team. urbik big and smooth so far.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    bif legursky looked like yonko legursky ... killed on 1st rep as no 2 centerabout 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    1st play from scrimmage is 2 te/1 back, or arians ball.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    theyre starting all over: linemen in their stance.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    1st practice in full pads. i ll be watching the line play today. watched enough pass catching all spring.about 1 hour ago from txt
    #
    Hampton told us something today that's sure to enrage our female friends. He talked about other topics too at [url="http://pit.scout.com/about"]http://pit.scout.com/about[/url] 2 hours ago from web

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[espn:1emladpb]4371312[/espn:1emladpb]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4371457"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4371457[/url]
    LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger quickly moved to make sure his problems don't become those of the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Roethlisberger apologized to his teammates for causing a possible distraction, then answered questions Saturday for the first time since being named as the defendant in a Nevada civil lawsuit that accuses him of sexual assault.

He declined to discuss his legal problems, or even acknowledge them, saying, "I'm playing football."

Then Roethlisberger said it again, as if to emphasize there will be no questions answered during training camp about any issue other than the Steelers.

"This is what I do, it's football," Roethlisberger said after being asked if he could stay focused. "I don't know what you're talking about. It's football."

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback became testy when he sensed he would be asked again about the civil suit, saying, "Any other football questions? I can walk away if we want."

Roethlisberger's 10-minute question-and-answer session Saturday was his first since the suit was filed. He read a statement defending himself during a brief news conference on Aug. 23, several days after what he called "reckless and false" allegations were made by a resort hotel employee, but he declined then to answer questions.

While Roethlisberger faces no criminal charges, he is aware the lawsuit could potentially prove disruptive if it lasts well into the season. Three years ago, Roethlisberger's preseason motorcycle crash and appendectomy caused on- and off-field problems that lasted well into the season, and the Steelers never recovered from a 2-6 start and missed the playoffs.

With the Steelers focused on avoiding such a slip-up this time, Roethlisberger stood up at the annual team meeting that begins training camp and said he was sorry, but many teammates said his apology wasn't necessary.

Several players said they are angry about the allegations, even though they know only one side of the story.

"That's crazy, man, he doesn't have to say that to me," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "I know how the world is. In today's society, if anybody says anything, you're guilty until you're proven innocent. I know Ben and the type person he is, and I ain't even going to say anything about it [or] I'm going to go off."

Steelers center Justin Hartwig is unhappy that Roethlisberger is being judged publicly before any facts are revealed.

"Unfortunately the court of public opinion judges and that's just the way it is, whether it's fair or not," he said.

Troy Polamalu shrugged off the potential impact of the Roethlisberger suit, saying it has nothing to do with football and that NFL players regularly deal with off-field problems.

"I don't think it's a distraction for the team or him, either. I think Ben has had to handle a lot more stuff outside of football than anybody on this team, probably," Polamalu said. "That just comes with the territory. He's become accustomed to that lifestyle and it will be easy for him to separate the two issues."

Few NFL players like the endless practices and spartan, dorm-room lifestyle of a training camp held on a college campus like Pittsburgh's, but Ward said "it's kind of our safe haven" in these kind of situations.

"When we step on the field, it's about football," Ward said. "I know Ben, and he's looking forward to coming out here and competing. We don't see Ben being a distraction."

Roethlisberger apparently plans to handle the situation the way he does other potential distractions.

"Do the best you can, smile and go," he said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press