Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers LB Farrior packing on pounds

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers LB Farrior packing on pounds

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler
    Heavier = slower.

Bulking up may not be good for Timmons or Wood.

Farrior is light enough that it shouldn't make a great difference.

What I think is very encouraging out Timmons and why I have complete confidence that he will be an oustanding player is that is making whatever changes he thinks he needs to make to be an effective IL.

If he stays the weight he was when drafted then some voice concern about him being "trucked". If he gains weight then there becomes a concern that will affect his speed, which is his oustanding characteristic.

I think he is smart and will find that happy medium. Gaining weight was a choice, not a matter of an out-of-control appetite like it was with Kirkland and Hampton. And his weight gain appears to be in good areas not in belly fat, like it is with Willie Colon.

I believe he played enough last season and sparkled enough when he played, that there is every reason to anticipate big things from him.

Honestly, and I don't want this to be interpreted as a swipe against Foote, whom I felt was a very good player, Timmons was better than Foote last year. Timmons should have been the starter. But I detected no pouting or negative vibes out of Timmons. So, he has character, talent and work ethic. Barring injury, I don't see how he can't be a star.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers LB Farrior packing on pounds

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler
    Heavier = slower.

Bulking up may not be good for Timmons or Wood.

Farrior is light enough that it shouldn't make a great difference.
    Heavier does not necessarily equal slower. If a guy is overweight, then, yeah, being heavier would make him slower. But at the mid-230's, Timmons was actually undersized compared to most ILB's (not Farrior, but most). Putting on an extra 10 pounds will help him with the pounding that he will take on 1st and 2nd downs, as opposed to playing primarily in nickel and dime defenses last year (which required more running than thumping).

Similiarly, Santonio Holmes has put on some weight as well. He's been listed in the low 190's for much of his career, but now he plans to be over 200 lbs for the first time in his career to make him better stand up to the pounding he will take, so he can do a better job beating a jam at the line of scrimmage and break away from double teams.

Woodley is not gaining weight. He's consistently been in the mid-260's for much of his college and pro career. Dude is thick. Completely different body type than any of our other backers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.