Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggs signs new deal.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Suggs signs new deal.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4328590"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4328590[/url]

Terrell Suggs, who never minded playing under one-year franchise tags, found the financial security he was looking for Wednesday when he agreed to a six-year, $63 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens, according to a source.

The key to the contract was the structure. Suggs will receive signing bonus and option bonus money that will total $33.1 million in 2009 and 2010, according to a source. That is believed to be second only to Peyton Manning, who received a $34 million signing bonus. Defensive end Dwight Freeney received $31.5 million in signing and option bonus money during the first two years of his contract with the Colts. Freeney and Suggs were both represented by Gary Wichard.

Suggs had until 4 p.m. ET to sign a long-term deal. Had he not found the long-term solution, he would have played the season at $10.17 million and become a free agent next season. Now, on a long-term deal, Suggs becomes the highest paid linebacker in NFL history.

The payout of the contract was the reason for the signing. Over the first two years of the contract, Suggs will make $40 million. Over the first three years, he will make $43.4 million. Over the first four years, he will make $48.3 million.

Suggs has been the Ravens' franchise player for the past two seasons. He has 53 sacks during the first six years of his career and is considered one of the best pass-rushers in the league. The 6-foot-3, 260-pound Suggs came out of Arizona State in 2003 as a first-round pick. He played defensive end until the Ravens started using more 3-4 schemes. In some seasons, he played more at defensive end than linebacker, but the position didn't matter.

Suggs' job was to get to the quarterback for sacks. Now, he has sacked the contract of a lifetime.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Suggs signs new deal.

Yesterday, Matt Cassel turned his franchise tag to a 6 year $63 million deal.

Today, Terrell Suggs turned his franchise tag to a 6 year $63 million deal.

Weird.

James Harrison's 6 year $51.175 million deal and Max Starks' 4 year $26.3 million look pretty good by comparison, especially when you consider that the signing bonuses were $20 million for Harrison and $10 million for Starks (as opposed to $28 million guaranteed for Cassell and $33.1 in bonuses for Suggs)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's another article I found.

Suggs deal better than Haynesworth's?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2009 9:55 AM

Though the contract signed by defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth with the Redskins on the first morning of free agency widely has been described as a $100 million contract, it accurately has been analyzed, for practical purposes, as a four-year, $48 million deal. (In year five, Haynesworth is due to earn $29 million in salary and bonuses -- at a time when he will be 32 years old.)

Under that standard, Ravens defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs actually did a better deal.

Per a league source, here's how Suggs' payout over the first four years on his brand-new contract compares to Haynesworth's.

In year one, Suggs gets $15.1 million and Haynesworth gets $11 million.

Through two years, Suggs gets $40 million and Haynesworth receives $35.6 million.

After three, Suggs will have pocketed $43.4 million, with Haynesworth only (only?) getting $41 million.

And after four seasons, Suggs will end up with $200,000 more than Haynesworth -- $48.3 million versus $48.1 million.

Both deals are great. But the reality is that Suggs is every bit as good, and actually a little bit better, than Haynesworth's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal
    Here's another article I found.

Suggs deal better than Haynesworth's?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2009 9:55 AM

Though the contract signed by defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth with the Redskins on the first morning of free agency widely has been described as a $100 million contract, it accurately has been analyzed, for practical purposes, as a four-year, $48 million deal. (In year five, Haynesworth is due to earn $29 million in salary and bonuses -- at a time when he will be 32 years old.)

Under that standard, Ravens defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs actually did a better deal.

Per a league source, here's how Suggs' payout over the first four years on his brand-new contract compares to Haynesworth's.

In year one, Suggs gets $15.1 million and Haynesworth gets $11 million.

Through two years, Suggs gets $40 million and Haynesworth receives $35.6 million.

After three, Suggs will have pocketed $43.4 million, with Haynesworth only (only?) getting $41 million.

And after four seasons, Suggs will end up with $200,000 more than Haynesworth -- $48.3 million versus $48.1 million.

Both deals are great. But the reality is that Suggs is every bit as good, and actually a little bit better, than Haynesworth's.
    And James Harrison will still have more tackles, sacks, force fumbles, and interceptions than both of them.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pretty much means the Ratbirds won't be getting Boldin or Marshal and signing either to long term deals unless they restructure a lot of contracts
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Has Suggs performed at a level to warrant this type of contract? Wow, I wonder if James Harrison feels like he signed a bad deal? He has to believe that he's more of a game changer than Suggs and his contract pales in comparison to this one. Didn't they just give an aging, albeit good, middle linebacker a big deal as well?

I don't see the Raven's linebackers being better than the Steelers and yet, they're being paid like they are. I guess the Ravens have decided to win with defense and ignore the offense.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Pretty much means the Ratbirds won't be getting Boldin or Marshal and signing either to long term deals unless they restructure a lot of contracts
    I see signing a vet on the cheap (an Amani Toomer type) in their future.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In honor of this signing, I'm going to have to find the footage of Suggs ducking out of the
    way of Hines Ward and post it on youtube.

Was that the second game of the regular season?
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ravens overpaid...but honestly...they have no defense without Suggs...so if this is what they needed to do...then good for them.

But better for us!!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have only one thing to say: