Thread: ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PARTS 1,2&3

Legend

User Info Menu

ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PARTS 1,2&3

Friday, July 10, 2009
    ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PART 1

[url="http://news.steelers.com/article/105672/"]http://news.steelers.com/article/105672/[/url]

Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Paul Jefferson in New York: What was draft day like for you, waiting for the phone to ring?
    Keenan Lewis: It very intense and nerve-racking, just trying to figure out what team was going to give me an opportunity to play for their organization. I was just waiting around for my name to be called. I knew it was going to be called. I was praying it would be called. When Pittsburgh called it was a good opportunity and feeling to play for Coach (Mike) Tomlin and his staff.

From Rita Lloyd in Pennsylvania: What was your first reaction when you learned you were going to be the newest Pittsburgh Steeler?
    Keenan Lewis: I knew I was going to a great organization. They just came off a Super Bowl year and they are always contenders in the playoffs and things like that. I knew I would be learning from some of the great players they have here in the organization. It was a blessing for me.

From Mark James in Ohio: What was it like to see the six Super Bowl trophies for the first time?
    Keenan Lewis: That made me so anxious to get another one. Hopefully I can contribute and help us get another one.

From Larry Bower in Florida: Is there more pressure coming to a Super Bowl champion or less because you don’t have to be a savior?
    Keenan Lewis: There is definitely more pressure because the intensity and the bar is set high. These guys work every day like champions. When it is like that it puts pressure on you to perform.

From Gene Mowry in New Jersey: What was it like right after mini-camp, was you mind spinning?
    Keenan Lewis: It was definitely spinning. Just learning the playbook, coming from a college system with different terminology is tough. But I think I got the hang of it. It’s gone pretty good.

From George Reynolds in Pennsylvania: How valuable are the OTA’s?
    Keenan Lewis: They are very valuable. It’s right before training camp so getting to know the calls and different defenses. It helps so when the preseason and training camp come around you can show everybody your true talent and not be out there like mini-camp.

From Jeff Tallon in Colorado: What is some of the advice the veterans have given you?
    Keenan Lewis: They tell me to stay hungry. I have to go out and give it all I have got every opportunity. Any opportunity could be your last.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PART 1

Friday, July 17, 2009

[url="http://news.steelers.com/article/105673/"]http://news.steelers.com/article/105673/[/url]

ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PART 2
    Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

From Steve Foley in West Virginia: What was your first impression of the attitude among the team?
    Keenan Lewis: I knew I had to put on and perform. When draft picks come around they look for the true skills. The bar is set high here. I knew I had to go out and compete.

From Karen Caster in Tennessee: You hear the players talking about the team being a band of brothers. Do you get that feeling already?
    Keenan Lewis: Definitely. On and off the field they hang out together. They help the rookies out a lot. I am fortunate to be in an organization where guys like Deshea (Townsend), Fernando (Bryant), Ike (Taylor) and Willie Gay. They help me out and give me advice. That is a blessing.

From Douglas Felter in Connecticut: What is it like to have your friend and high school teammate Mike Wallace here as a rookie too?
    Keenan Lewis: It is a great opportunity. I never thought it would happen. He pushes me, I push him.

From Greg Hill in Ohio: Did you talk to Mike Wallace right after you were drafted?
    Keenan Lewis: Oh yeah. We were right at work from the beginning. We knew the system they had and the standards. We were ready to go.

From Jason Martin in Virginia: Do you and Mike Wallace challenge each other, study together?
    Keenan Lewis: We are definitely going to challenge each other. I know if he makes a big play on me they are going to hear about it at home. If I make a big play I am going to tell the whole city. We just are going to compete.

From Mark Glower in Ohio: What will be the biggest adjustment coming from college to the pros?
    Keenan Lewis: The mental part of the game and how fast it is and the play calling. It’s about just understanding the game more to become a better player.

From Cindy Maple in Pennsylvania: Is the Steelers defensive scheme hard for rookies to learn in one year?
    Keenan Lewis: It’s definitely hard to learn. You have to know so much. It is way different from college. It’s like being a freshman again.

From Dan Potts in Pennsylvania: Have you heard yet how passionate Steelers fans are about the team and are you looking forward to playing for a team with that kind of atmosphere?
    Keenan Lewis: When I first got off the plane I saw nothing but Steelers stuff. Everywhere I go if they find out who I am they congratulate me and take me in like family. You can’t ask for more than that. It’s a blessing to be a part of this organization and I plan on working hard to stay here.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PARTS 1&2

From Karen Caster in Tennessee: You hear the players talking about the team being a band of brothers. Do you get that feeling already?
    Keenan Lewis: Definitely. On and off the field they hang out together. They help the rookies out a lot. I am fortunate to be in an organization where guys like Deshea (Townsend), Fernando (Bryant), Ike (Taylor) and Willie Gay. They help me out and give me advice. That is a blessing.
    Someone break the news to Keenan that Fernando Bryant retired a month ago.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PARTS 1&2

Friday, July 24, 2009

ASK THE STEELERS – KEENAN LEWIS – PART 3

From Wayne Singer in New York: How is the college life different than the pros?
    Keenan Lewis: In college you had to go to classes and study and all of that. In the pros it’s just football so it’s been pretty cool so far.

From J.P. Hanley in Ohio: Is there a player in the NFL right now that you would compare yourself to?
    Keenan Lewis: I would say Ike Taylor, a big physical cornerback. He can stop the run, play with aggression. That is part of my game.

From Matt Morris in California: What is it like to have Dick LeBeau as you defensive coordinator?
    Keenan Lewis: It’s like a dream come true working with that guy. You can’t ask for more. I watch the schemes he sets up. He is a defensive genius. He looks at me like a son and I take that as an honor.

From Annie Dewitt in Louisiana: You got to know Ike Taylor before coming here. Can you talk about that?
    Keenan Lewis: I have known him for a while and I am a big fan of his. He is from New Orleans. I have been watching him for a couple of years. A lot of people have compared me to him since high school. Having an opportunity to work with him and him taking me under his wing is a blessing for me.

From Marcus Henderson in Pennsylvania: Do you see yourself having a role on special teams and how important will that be for you?
    Keenan Lewis: They will definitely play a role. Coach emphasized special teams a lot. When I walked through that door he told me the key was going to be on special teams and that is what I look forward to doing.

From Louis Ford in Ohio: Is your run support something you take pride in?
    Keenan Lewis: I do. I am a big, physical corner and play aggressively. Run support is important. It’s not just about passes. If you can’t make tackles the team isn’t going to win. I take pride in it.

From Rich Fisher in Michigan: What are you other strengths?
    Keenan Lewis: I am big, I can turn and run, I can match up with big receivers and I can make plays.

From Marty White in West Virginia: What areas of your game would you like to work on?
    Keenan Lewis: Learning how to play lower and coming out of my breaks better. Those are the things I will be working on.

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin