Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Woodson: Steelers, the breakup and his date in Canton

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Rod Woodson: Steelers, the breakup and his date in Canton

Rooney said the only time Dohahoe and Cowher agreed was allowing Woodson to leave. Rooney pushed for Woodson to stay and wanted him to stay but, he allowed the final outcome to be on Cowhers and Donahoes.

I seen and heard Rooney telling this in an interview.

True Fan

yup, and we were too cheap to keep him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by True Fan
    It wasn't quite that simple. They wanted him to move to safety and take safety money.

Rod didn't want to do either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by True Fan
    That was an odd time in the season or two after SBXXX. They gambled by re-signing one of their veteran studs in Greg Lloyd, who already had a couple of knee surgeries under his belt, allowing the up-and-coming Chad Brown to test free agency. That backfired when Lloyd tore his patella tendon shortly thereafter and then suffered a serious infection that nearly killed him (while Brown made a couple of Pro Bowl appearances in Seattle). Even though Lloyd was my favorite Steeler, even I have to admit that going with the veteran with a significant injury history over the promising youngster was a mistake.

Woodson, like Lloyd, was a veteran stud with an injury history (with the relatively recent ACL tear as well as a shoulder issue) only this time they did not re-sign him like they did with Lloyd. They guessed wrong with Lloyd when they did re-sign him and they guessed wrong with Woodson when they did re-sign him. Both were great players and you it would be difficult to fault the team if decided to sign Woodson and not Lloyd or Lloyd and not Woodson. Perhaps they figured that an elite pass rush could compensate for a merely adequate secondary, while an elite secondary will still get beat without a quality pass rush, so they took the risk by investing in the guy who can put the QB on his back over the guy in coverage who would likely would have had to switch positions from corner to safety. They could not have possibly known at the time that Woodson would play 7 more seasons of elite ball while Lloyd would only play 2 more seasons as a shadow of his former self.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Dumb question, he is going in as a Steeler, right?
    I am sure he will SASF!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

how can anyone fault the fo for letting rod go? the guy was up there in age and he was coming back from an awful knee injury. at the time i doubt there were a lot of steeler fans that wanted the fo to pay him a ton of money. hindsight is always 20/20 yea looking back now it was the wrong move but who would of thought rod would have played well for another 7 seasons? i also remember having a bunch of other guys that had to be re-signed at the time. the team being "cheap" or whatever had nothing to do with it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Dumb question, he is going in as a Steeler, right?
    I am sure he will SASF!!!