Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starks signs four-year deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Starks signs four-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Wow. I'm shocked that Max "settled" for only $10M guaranteed and $28M over 4 years. He already had $8.45M guaranteed for this year and most certainly would have made more than the residual $1.55M next season, whether it was here or somewhere else. The only thing it seemingly protected him against is a devastating injury this season.

As far as a cap hit, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract and according to reports we are saving $3M this season. I'm not sure if the guarantees were in the form of a signing bonus or in combination with roster bonuses the first couple of seasons but it would seem that he will "only" have a $3M salary this season (plus a $2.5M cap charge for the bonus) and that he would make less than that each season after. This is a steal if my math and reasoning are correct.

Regardless, Starks stepped up and did the right thing. Like Oviedo stated earlier, he has been getting abused in this space (unjustly in my opinion) for far too long. I for one am glad we've locked him up and if continues to improve, we'll have a solid LT for the next 4 years.
    Yes, it appears that his salary this season should be around $3 million (Clayton's $3 million cap savings projection is correct, it would be a $2.95 million salary plus $2.5 for the pro-rated portion of the $10 million signing bonus), giving him a cap hit of $5.45 million, which would be a $3 million cap savings from his $8.45 franchise tag value. But according to my math, he would not make less each season thereafter.

If those numbers are correct, after this season, he will have $13.35 million worth of salary spread out over the next three years in some fashion (an average of $4.45 million per season). They could make his salary something like $3.7 million in 2010 (cap hit: $6.2 million), $4.45 million in 2011 (cap hit: $6.95 million; he would count $5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2011 season), and $5.2 million in 2012 (cap hit: $7.7 million; he would count $2.5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2012 season).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Wow. I'm shocked that Max "settled" for only $10M guaranteed and $28M over 4 years. He already had $8.45M guaranteed for this year and most certainly would have made more than the residual $1.55M next season, whether it was here or somewhere else. The only thing it seemingly protected him against is a devastating injury this season.

As far as a cap hit, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract and according to reports we are saving $3M this season. I'm not sure if the guarantees were in the form of a signing bonus or in combination with roster bonuses the first couple of seasons but it would seem that he will "only" have a $3M salary this season (plus a $2.5M cap charge for the bonus) and that he would make less than that each season after. This is a steal if my math and reasoning are correct.

Regardless, Starks stepped up and did the right thing. Like Oviedo stated earlier, he has been getting abused in this space (unjustly in my opinion) for far too long. I for one am glad we've locked him up and if continues to improve, we'll have a solid LT for the next 4 years.
    Yes, it appears that his salary this season should be around $3 million (Clayton's $3 million cap savings projection is correct, it would be a $2.95 million salary plus $2.5 for the pro-rated portion of the $10 million signing bonus), giving him a cap hit of $5.45 million, which would be a $3 million cap savings from his $8.45 franchise tag value. But according to my math, he would not make less each season thereafter.

If those numbers are correct, after this season, he will have $13.35 million worth of salary spread out over the next three years in some fashion (an average of $4.45 million per season). They could make his salary something like $3.7 million in 2010 (cap hit: $6.2 million), $4.45 million in 2011 (cap hit: $6.95 million; he would count $5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2011 season), and $5.2 million in 2012 (cap hit: $7.7 million; he would count $2.5 million in dead money if he were cut before the 2012 season).
    Duh. You're right on with the salaries in years 2-4 RB. I'm not sure how I screwed such simple math up. Even with those amounts, this is still one heck of a deal for a starting lert tackle in my opinion, especially if ol' Maxie continues to improve.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers tend to take care of their own don't forget. Look what they did for Hines this year; I don't believe they really needed to do what they did. At this point Starks is starting to look like a lifer; the Steelers will take care of Max if Max will let them. It appears he will; there really was no reason for him to sign this contract. He would have received 8.5 million this year and then free agency in the off season. I'm certain he would have received much more than 10million guaranteed.

Max showed us all he wasn't quite as self-centered and greedy as we thought. Good for him.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

I hope we can now sign Heath and some others that are in the waiting

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Max showed us all he wasn't quite as self-centered and greedy as we thought. Good for him.

Pappy
    Not all of us thought that. I have defended Max throughout, from the time he was demoted (unjustly IMO) until just a few weeks ago when he was quoted about something that made him sound selfish. I can't remember the quote but I had said that it did not sound good if it was true, but I would have liked verification because it sounded out of character for Max.

I'm glad he signed. So far it looks like a decent deal for both sides, and in the range that I'd expected for him for awhile. On June 1 I posted 4 years, $28M, $12M SB in this thread: [url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819[/url]

Keep in mind that Max had not played LT since college until TC '07. He was awful that pre-season. He was forced into action late that year and played decently until he got hurt. He once again only played last year when injury gave him the opportunity. His play improved steadily until he was the best OL by far at the end of the year (yes, I know that isn't much to say, but it is true). He is inexperienced enough so that there is reason to believe that he can improve, and old enough to be entering his prime.

I look for Max to be solid and fulfill the length of this contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Not all of us thought that. I have defended Max throughout, from the time he was demoted (unjustly IMO) until just a few weeks ago when he was quoted about something that made him sound selfish. I can't remember the quote but I had said that it did not sound good if it was true, but I would have liked verification because it sounded out of character for Max.

I'm glad he signed. So far it looks like a decent deal for both sides, and in the range that I'd expected for him for awhile. On June 1 I posted 4 years, $28M, $12M SB in this thread: [url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6819[/url]

Keep in mind that Max had not played LT since college until TC '07. He was awful that pre-season. He was forced into action late that year and played decently until he got hurt. He once again only played last year when injury gave him the opportunity. His play improved steadily until he was the best OL by far at the end of the year (yes, I know that isn't much to say, but it is true). He is inexperienced enough so that there is reason to believe that he can improve, and old enough to be entering his prime.

I look for Max to be solid and fulfill the length of this contract.

IMO Max will develop into a good LT. It is on him to keep his weight under control, which has been a problem, and to continue to develop his technique and recognition skills Size and strength are not an issue.

Better play on the part of Kemo will make all the difference in the world on the left side. He needs to greatly improve his pass blocking.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

To lead off, I'll come right out and say that I have been one of Max's harshest critics on this board. That being that, Max now has his extension and a chance at some uncharted ground here. No more worries over his future...he can come into camp knowing where he stands, for once, and maybe this will give him the chance to grow into a competent NFL LT. He is still young and should be able to grow into a Pro Bowl caliber player if he keeps his act together.

His deal is about middle-of-the-road for an NFL starting LT of his accomplishment and history. The deal shouldn't cost a lot to the team at any stage. If he can continue to grow and develop, the Steelers should have no worries over this deal. Hopefully, his amateurish play and unprofessional attitude is in the past. He's been in the league 6 years at this point...it's time for us all to see a Max Starks we can all be proud of.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!