Thread: Warren well on road to recovery

Legend

User Info Menu

Warren well on road to recovery

Warren well on road to recovery
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009

[url="http://news.steelers.com/article/105494/"]http://news.steelers.com/article/105494/[/url]

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com
    Football is full of bone-crushing hits that make highlight reels ever so popular, with replays being shown over and over again. Fans love to watch a running back get stuffed, a receiver get hit by a menacing linebacker and a kick returner just get stopped dead in his tracks by a young special teams ace trying to make a name for himself.

But there are some replays, some which you would think would be so innocent, that are just way to painful to watch. One such involved long snapper Greg Warren against the New York Giants last season.

In the third quarter Warren injured his knee, just running down field to make a play. It seemed innocent enough at first, but as he was walking off the field, the knee buckled and, well, a replay really isn’t necessary. As it was shown in the press box time and again, even media cringed and turned their heads away from the televisions.

Warren was lost for the season with a torn ACL.

“The actual injury itself was the most surprising and disappointing part of my career,” said Warren. “I have never been injured, especially to this extent. I was very disappointed.”

For a player who wasn’t used to being sidelined, Warren was in for a rude and painful awakening. This wasn’t an injury that you could just rebound from a few days later. He underwent surgery and went through what seemed like an eternity of inactivity.

“It was one of the most challenging things I was faced with,” said Warren. “At the very beginning I was laid up for six weeks and couldn’t do anything. I was on crutches and couldn’t put any weight on it for six weeks. To just lay there and know the best thing I can do is nothing, it was hard.

“I got cabin fever. I wanted to work out and do stuff and I knew that would cause me not to heal as fast and cause a setback. It’s tough. It was a long process. I couldn’t do anything with my leg. Everything just got weaker.”

Eventually Warren got the go ahead from the doctors to allow the knee to be weight bearing. He was still on crutches for about another month, but he at least was able to get around, return to the practice facility and be around his teammates, something that was helpful and painful, especially as the team prepared for Super Bowl XLIII.

“To watch and see the team be successful, I was very excited but it made it that much more disappointing I couldn’t be a part of it,” said Warren. “We made this run and everything, I at least did it once so it wasn’t like it was a once in a lifetime thing I would miss out on. I experienced it once. To be a part of it the second time in any capacity was a blessing. It was exciting to be able to watch other people have that success, especially guys who have worked so hard.

“The thing that kept me going was I stayed around the team and was still a part of everything.”

Another thing that kept him going was kicker Jeff Reed. The two are best friends and Reed was there for him every step of the way, offering support and making sure Warren’s spirits stayed up.

“On and off the field he kept me going,” said Warren. “He would make sure I was okay. We would go out and have dinner. We would do things to keep things loose. He has been instrumental since I have been here.”

Warren is currently an active participant in the team’s OTAs, a welcome sight as he is doing everything he normally would do. He is at about 80 percent running wise, but is just amazed that he is running at this point, something he didn’t think he would be doing until training camp.

“I am doing everything I did every other year, which is surprising,” said Warren. “I didn’t think I would be involved in anything at all. Once I started running they told me everything had healed really well and I could be involved in everything the team did. It’s been a true blessing.”

Warren admits he is still learning to trust the knee again, but has no fear of anything happening to it when he does return to the playing field since it wasn’t a contact injury.

And while in the past the prospect of hot days at training camp might have been menacing for him, he can’t wait to get to St. Vincent College later in the summer and get things rolling.

“There is no question,” said Warren. “I told people after it happened I never thought I would be looking forward to training camp so much. When it first happened I thought training camp was going to be the first time I would be able to run around on it. I never though I would be running this soon in the summer. Training camp is going to be fun. I am going to enjoy it and hopefully get back to where I was last year.”

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Warren well on road to recovery

I'm sure Warren is a good guy but I really hope that he is not with the team in September 2009 because either Shipley of Legursky have proven they can long snap.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I'm sure Warren is a good guy but I really hope that he is not with the team in September 2009 because either Shipley of Legursky have proven they can long snap.
    Seeing what happened in the Giants game after Warren was injured, I'm ok with devoting a roster spot to a long snapper.

Legend

User Info Menu

That replay was sick. I put it up there with the one with Theismann's.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Shipley?

Has he ever long snapped? This is not a way for a championship level team to save a roster spot. Its a good way to lose a playoff game. Shipley may overcome his 'short arms' to play C for the Steelers, but deep snapping is not an option for short arm guys.

If you think this is the way for Shipley to make the team, just cut him now.

Warner is a proven deep snapper that makes zero mistakes. Getting him back close to the capacity he was at is very valuable.
    Now if he can't, then we'll look elsewhere.

Has Legursky ever deep snapped, if not, then forget that as well. Most centers don't make good deep snappers. Its an art. If they want to play C in the NFL, they need to concentrate on those tricks of the trade.
    Players with no hope of playing in the NFL or frankly college, can turn to long snapping to try and make it.
    Kinda like Wakefield at the last second declaring he's a knuckleballer. Many players being cut try that, but few ever succeed. lol

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We were really against the odds with having the roughest schedule along with all the injuries and then to win the Super Bowl.

How many injuries were there ?

Ben
    Warren
    Our punter
    Willie Parker
    Simmons (blessing to our Steelers )
    Kiesel

Anyone else ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    We were really against the odds with having the roughest schedule along with all the injuries and then to win the Super Bowl.

How many injuries were there ?

Ben
    Warren
    Our punter
    Willie Parker
    Simmons (blessing to our Steelers )
    Kiesel

Anyone else ?
    Marvel
    Mendenhall
    McFadden
    Hines in the AFC Champ game
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update, I thought there were more players injured than those that I listed.