Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Finals. Discuss.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Stanley Cup Finals. Discuss.

No need to bring anything in the third...the Wings just looked tired.

I predicted just moments before Stahl's goal that the next goal wins the Cup. It came right on cue. This game was deeply satisfying.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

If they play as well as they played in the second period, no one beats them. Not the mid-80's Oilers, early-80's Islanders, late-70's Canadians...no one.

This is exactly the type of win that we needed. Not only did it tie up the series, but I'm sure it is in the heads of some of the Detroit players now. They saw what it looked like when the two best players in the world started playing like the two best players in the world. All of the sudden, they have to worry about how they are going to beat these Penguins in what now amounts to a best-two-out-of-three series.

Up until last night (the entire Finals series last year and the first three games this year), the question was how Pittsburgh was going to solve the problems that Detroit would present to them. But after that performance, for the first time, the question now shifts to how Detroit is going to solve the problems that Pittsburgh presents to them. They have no choice but to start Datsyuk tomorrow. We have the momemtum, and they are now the desperate team. My my, how things can change in only a couple of days.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If it wasn't for the Joe Lewis springboards I think the Pens are up 3-1 right now. They
    are most definitely the better team. The Kunitz to Crosby to Kennedy goal was solid
    work all around. Probably the best goal of the series the way they worked it.

Detroit is starting to hit the wall chasing Sid, Geno, and the rest of the younger Pens
    around. I think they proved that they can not only hang with this team, but they can
    dominate at times. As long as MAF keeps an eye on those rebounds off the boards I
    think the Pens win in Detroit and bring back Lord Stanleys Cup on home ice.

Is anyone in the world better than Malkin right now? The guy's stealing pucks, making
    the passes, scoring goals... doing everything at another level.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Every game was won by two goals so far (two 3-1 Red Wing victories in Detroit and two 4-2 Penguin victories in Pittsburgh), but last night's game was the only decisive game so far, in spite of the same actual margin of victory on the scoreboard. The Pens absolutely dominated the 2nd period and shut everything down in the 3rd to the point that it felt like the 6-2 victory I was hoping for. The previous 3 games truly could have gone either way if the puck bounces differently at certain points of each game, but there was no question about last night after the Staal shorty tied it up in the midst of consecutive minor penalties against the Pens, then those bang-band Malkin to Crosby and Kunitz to Crosby to Kennedy plays. We allowed them to get in our heads during the Finals last year, but did a great job of preventing that from happening again in spite of the 0-2 hole after the first weekend. Now, for the first time, we are in their heads. Game 5 is going to be a no-holds-barred battle. Can't wait.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dont mean we lost the series. No one has lost at home yet...
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nothing much to say here other than that was good old arse-kicking they handed us.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, Id say we laid down an arse kicking on them in game 4. Made them look old and tired. Wow, than home ice advantage at Joe Louis is huge! But also at the Igloo... First team to lose at home is done.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not over. We essentially had to win back-to-back games in games 3 and 4, and we showed that we can do that. Now we have to win back-to-back games in games 6 and 7. It is not impossible. Game 5 is over and done with. We have to put it behind us like Detroit put their game 4 performance behind them. If we protect home ice like we did earlier this series, we can send the series back to Detroit for game 7, and anything can happen in a game 7. We won a game at Joe Louis last year, so we can do it again. In a winner take all game 7, I'd rather have the team with the two best players in the world. First things first, though...let's take care of business on home ice on Tuesday. Last game to be played in Pittsburgh this season, so let's make it a special one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Shero is apparently considering bringing Petr Sykora back into the lineup. Memories of his OT winner against the Wings for our only win at Joe Louis in the Finals last year are still fresh in my mind.

Sykora a scoring option for Penguins
    By Rob Rossi, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nothing, nada, zero, a giant goose egg — any which way, the Penguins haven't gotten a goal from top-line wingers Bill Guerin and Chris Kunitz in the Stanley Cup Final. Still, coach Dan Bylsma insisted Monday after practice at Mellon Arena that his club can rally from a 3-2 deficit to Detroit in the best-of-seven series without Guerin or Kunitz scoring.

"Yes we can," he said. "We don't need them to score. We need our team to play well."

Actually, the Penguins need to do whatever they can tonight to win Game 6 at Mellon Arena. Otherwise, the Red Wings get the Cup, again.

Perhaps, then, Bylsma might consider reinserting into the lineup — somewhere — veteran right wing Petr Sykora, who has not played in 14 consecutive games dating to Game 2 of a second-round series against Washington.

Sykora, who netted 25 regular-season goals as a fixture on center Evgeni Malkin's line, scored in only 1-of-17 games prior to his removal from the lineup. Bylsma, however, said at the time that he was confident Sykora would again score a big goal for the Penguins in the postseason — like the one he tallied in triple overtime to win Game 5 of the Final last season.

That was Sykora's last playoff goal. Bylsma, his former teammate during days with Anaheim, said he has considered playing Sykora "every game from the time he hasn't played until now."

"We've certainly talked about different scenarios ... about what our team needs and what would help us win Game 6," he said. "And we're still talking about it."

Legend

User Info Menu

It's good to see Petr Gunn back out there. I don't mind Miroslav taking a seat. There is only room for one Satan on the ice wearing 81 on his back and that is Benedict Hossa.

Through two periods in game 6, they are controlling the action as much as they were during periods 2 and 3 of game 4. I just wish they were able to put up more of a cushion than just one goal.

Let's celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the day the Pens drafted Lemieux by sending this series back to Motown. The Steelers ended a 26 year drought without a championship in Detroit. The Penguins can end a 17 year drought without a championship in Detroit as well.