Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vet on the hot seat: Willie Parker

Starter

User Info Menu

Vet on the hot seat: Willie Parker

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-516/Vet-on-the-hot-seat--Willie-Parker.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2 ... arker.html[/url]

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

There are numerous reasons why Pittsburgh Steelers starting running back Willie Parker finds himself on the hot seat for 2009. Let's start with the fact that he's had back-to-back injury-plagued seasons.

A broken leg derailed Parker's otherwise stellar 2007 campaign, and he battled shoulder and knee ailments in 2008, when he rushed for just 791 yards and averaged 3.8 yards per carry. Those were Parker's lowest totals since becoming a full-time starter.

In a physical AFC North division, Parker has never been the biggest tailback at 5-foot-10, 209 pounds. Add in the fact that he's turning 29 in November, and Parker now has to deal with the age and durability questions in Pittsburgh.

Parker is in the final year of his contract, and all signs point to the Steelers letting him walk after the season. To date, there haven't been any serious discussions of extending Parker's contract before the start of the regular season, and the Steelers drafted tailback Rashard Mendenhall in the first round in 2008 to be his eventual replacement.

But a big year from Parker has the potential to change the landscape for his future in Pittsburgh and silence his critics.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Vet on the hot seat: Willie Parker

I've said in the past. A RB is good for 5 years in the NFL nowadays. If not mistaken this is year 5 for Parker having a significant role. He is on the backside of his career.

He will be less of a factor this year as Mendy gets more opportunities but I expect it will be RB by committee under Tomlin. I don't see anyone doing what Parker was doing a couple of years ago with 350+ carries.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I fully expect Parker to be injured again this season.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Willie is too "all or nothing" for my comfort level. All though I repect Willie & am thankful for his contributions to the franchise, I won't be upset when he is gone.

I'm looking forward to the duo of Mendenhall & Summers for, what I hope is, many years to come.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mendenhall broke hisself on the first real hit he took in the big league so keep that in mind y'all people callin fwp fragile and ready to throw him under the bus.

In today'S NFL, few running backs can carry 25-35 times a game and play all 16 plus post season without needing downtime for injuries

I predict fwp has a great season

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Backfield by consensus. This is a proven method for success in today's NFL. FWP, Mendy and Moore. A great rotation of these horses from our stable and exploiting the talent that each of them bring to the table.

True Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ASIAN
    Backfield by consensus. This is a proven method for success in today's NFL. FWP, Mendy and Moore. A great rotation of these horses from our stable and exploiting the talent that each of them bring to the table.

i agree, but could someone let arians in on this?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by True Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ASIAN

i agree, but could someone let arians in on this?

all of the above.... .....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Mendenhall broke hisself on the first real hit he took in the big league so keep that in mind y'all people callin fwp fragile and ready to throw him under the bus.

In today'S NFL, few running backs can carry 25-35 times a game and play all 16 plus post season without needing downtime for injuries

I predict fwp has a great season

This will be FWP's last season with the B & G. I'm already sad about it because he's already surpassed all expectations.

I still believe that he will get the most carries provided his health holds out. But, Arians needs to get his shizznat together and mix and match backfield sets. Mendy and MM need to touch the ball as well, and he also can't forget Summers.

Mendy still needs to prove his worth in this league. But, I am confident that he will assuming we can diversify the offense a little more. And this is not a bad thing. Sure, we won a SB with this O last year. But it is rare to repeat anyway and it is even more rare when you can't better disguise what you plan on doing with your strategy on O. That's the big thing facing Arians this off-season.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just think once a player that depends on speed starts injuring his legs....their will be a tendency to have injuries in those legs. Not a proven fact or anything.....just something I think. When you injure your left knee you start favoring it and that puts you out of whack and more pressure on your right leg...etc, etc...
    @_Hellgrammite