Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foote, Lions agree to deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Foote, Lions agree to deal

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09126/968002-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09126/968002-66.stm[/url]

Linebacker Larry Foote, who forced his way out of the Steelers, has agreed to a one-year contract with his hometown team, the Detroit Lions.

Foote told The Associated Press that terms of the deal were reached last night and he planned to sign the contract today. "I'm excited because it's a fresh start for me," Foote said in a telephone interview with the AP. "It's a one-year deal to show my talents, and hopefully end up signing a long-term deal after showing the Lions and their new coaching staff what I can do."

Foote had one year left on his contract with the Steelers at a salary of $2,885,000 but believed he would lose the starting inside linebacker job he has held the past five years to Lawrence Timmons.

First published on May 6, 2009 at 12:33 am
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Foote, Lions agree to deal

it must be tough going from the best team to the worst. at least he is from michigan though

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I understand Foote's logic here. I believe it's a risky one. He's going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and expects to shine right out of the bat. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. In my opinion he should've tried to get paid when he could've instead of going for the bank after a risky 1 year deal. He will be 30 after all when his deal is up. This will be an interesting one to watch. I respect everything the man has done for us and hope he doesn't end up being a journeyman playing for a ton of teams.

Good luck Foote, you are the enemy now ( a sorry one at that ).
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    I understand Foote's logic here. I believe it's a risky one. He's going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and expects to shine right out of the bat.

Makes me wonder if Larry paid any attention to Joey's 2007 numbers in Miami.......somehow I doubt he did.

Too bad, might have helped a bit....

Uncle Rico

From the penthouse to the outhouse.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think we can be too upset about losing this guy as it seems that he has entered semi-retirement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he's going the way of earl holmes....sad

Legend

User Info Menu

After Colbert taking so many Lions players over the years, we occassionally have a send a few of them back.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    I understand Foote's logic here. I believe it's a risky one. He's going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense and expects to shine right out of the bat. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. In my opinion he should've tried to get paid when he could've instead of going for the bank after a risky 1 year deal. He will be 30 after all when his deal is up. This will be an interesting one to watch. I respect everything the man has done for us and hope he doesn't end up being a journeyman playing for a ton of teams.

He will become a journeyman. It's not like he is going to be an All Pro player ever. The best he could hope for is that the Lions decide to keep him around if not he will get a two year deal for less than he thinks. No one is going to sign him for a big contract as a 30 year old average LB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm curious to hear what the money will be. He said the Lions made him an offer and he was going to have to "think about it all night" then, a few hours later breaks the story that he agreed to the deal.